GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

remove and replace side mirror?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-16, 06:06 PM
twylie
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Default remove and replace side mirror?

Tagged a deer with my side mirror and will need to replace it. Couldn't find any threads or instructions, but from looking at the parts online, it looks to be 3 or 4 bolts and a wiring connector. Is it as simple as removing the door panel, some bolts that hold the side mirror and the wiring connector?

Old 12-02-16, 06:20 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Where did you procure a replacement? I heard you can replace the shell if the internals are still usable (not exactly your case) or you can get the entire unit. I'm sure it's pretty plug-n-play once you get the doorskin off.
Old 12-02-16, 08:37 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Is the mirror itself cracked or intact? The mirror part alone is around $200 at the dealer.
Old 12-02-16, 08:59 AM
twylie
Advanced

Everything is shattered. The puddle lamp module and the mirror base are the only parts that aren't destroyed. I found a replacement on car-part.com for $400 shipped. Color I needed and had the BSM indicator. More than I had hoped to spend, but less than my deductible. Should arrive next Tuesday. Since posting this, I found a video showing the door panel removal. 3 screws (behind handle trim, behind window switch panel and under the liner in the door pull cubby). Once those are removed, pull the panel from the bottom to release the retainer clips. After that, it's unplug the lights and wiring harnesses and remove the two cable actuators from the panel. After that, it looks like 3 or 4 bolts that hold the mirror to the door skin and one large 13 or 16 wire plug for the mirror assembly. Should be 30 min to remove and replace in the garage. I will post back if I run across anything unexpected or have any tips for anyone that may find this thread in the future.
Old 12-06-16, 05:59 AM
twylie
Advanced

Follow up after removing and replacing the driver's side mirror:

This is the video I found that covers the removal of the door panel.

Once you get the door panel removed, you can unplug the mirror harness from the door. There is a control module attached in the upper center of the door and the mirror is the most forward connector of the 3. There are two clips that the mirror wiring attaches to (keep it clear of the window track). I had to cut the electrical tape and reattach the new wiring to these clips, but make note of them as you'll have to cut the tape to remove the old mirror wiring.

To remove the actual mirror, there are 3 studs attached to the mirror base that bolt to the door with 10mm nuts. You can get to the 10mm nuts by removing a black, rectangular piece of heavy cardboard/tape from the inside of the door. Once you remove this, you'll have a straight shot at the nuts attached to the mirror studs. Once the nuts are removed, there is a 2 prong white finger clip that temporarily holds the mirror in place. Pinch that and the mirror should lift off the door. There is also a clear cover with a reusable gasket that you'll need to remove to get the wiring out/in. You'll need to feed the wiring bundle through the opening in the door as you lift the mirror off.

Took me about 45 min total to remove/replace.