GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

New (to me) GS350 owner

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 11:56 AM
CTNYC
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Default New (to me) GS350 owner

I just purchased my new (to me) 2014 Lexus GS350 AWD. It is Lexus Certified with a bit less than 34k miles with black exterior and flaxen interior. I got a killer deal (imo). My previous cars were a 2008 Honda Accord LX-P, 2013 Acura ILX Hybrid Tech, and most recently, a 2010 Acura TL FWD Tech. The Lexus is (obviously) the nicest car I've had and I'm excited to put a ton of miles on it over the next 8+ years.

Price: $29000
Doc fee/vin etch (req) - $698
Lexus Certified Warranty Extention - $3175
Tax - $1364.23
OTD Price: $34237.23

I think that's a great deal considering my GS350 AWD is in excellent cosmetic condition, was dealer maintained to the book, has new Michelin tires, new front brakes, and almost fully optioned out ($58k original MSRP - I believe it is only missing the heated steering wheel option). Best part - it is covered under Lexus (essentially bumper to bumper) warranty for 8 years and 1 month and unlimited miles. Considering I drive 30k to 50k miles per year and drive through very bad rough city roads almost daily, just knowing that most (if not all) suspension parts are covered is reassuring and well worth $3175 for me.

Pics are of my car, but the dealership's photos. Drove a few hundred miles home and then it was raining the next day, so she's a bit dirty.

New (to me) GS350 owner-7b53f73b6857daa2286c156cb87.jpgNew (to me) GS350 owner-6c93379663415fab6da7f8c7334.jpgNew (to me) GS350 owner-c70f81b695d1577558882bac398.jpg

Last edited by CTNYC; 11-30-16 at 12:02 PM.
Old 11-30-16, 12:09 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Love the flaxen interior color. Congrats!
Old 11-30-16, 12:37 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Congrats! Looks pretty sweet!
Old 11-30-16, 01:10 PM
fijjy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome deal and great car. Looks like you're missing the Mark Levinson audio option?
Old 11-30-16, 01:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Congrats and enjoy! Keep that black exterior pretty...
Old 11-30-16, 02:09 PM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Congrats!!!! I have the same combo.
Old 11-30-16, 04:23 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Thanks all - It's really a great car and color combo. I was unsure if I'd like the color based on pictures, but when I saw it in person, I was sold. This is my first black car, so I'm not looking forward to all the work keeping it clean, especially since I live in a mid/high rise with a parking garage and I have no access to a hose/driveway

Originally Posted by fijjy
Awesome deal and great car. Looks like you're missing the Mark Levinson audio option?
Yeah, just realized it doesn't seem to have the ML system and the heated steering wheel. It seemed to have almost all the options, and at a price that was $3.5k to $6k cheaper than other cars, I wasn't too concerned. The sound system still sounds very good for a no-name stock system, on par with the ELS surround sound I had in my ILX Hybrid and TL. I'll get around to figuring out exactly what packages I have and don't have, but it has more options than my previous Acuras have had. With the exception of a digital clock!
Old 11-30-16, 05:31 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Originally Posted by CTNYC
Thanks all - It's really a great car and color combo. I was unsure if I'd like the color based on pictures, but when I saw it in person, I was sold. This is my first black car, so I'm not looking forward to all the work keeping it clean, especially since I live in a mid/high rise with a parking garage and I have no access to a hose/driveway
You were seduced by that black car! Here, let me explain...

There’s nothing sexier than a shiny, clean black car. Nothing!
There is nothing LESS sexy than a dusty, or dirty, or scratched black car. Nothing!

When you’re looking for a new car, the black one will seduce you. You’ll look at that model in another color, think about being practical, but the black one will wink at you. Tip its chin. Purr, “Hey baby… I want you inside me.” Walk away NOW, or you’ll take it for a test drive. When you get into a black car for the first time, you’ll feel dangerously sexier than you ever felt in your whole life. Your inner panther will roar. You’ll tingle in places you forgot you had. You’ll like it. And, chances are - you’ll buy it. The other cars just won’t make you tingle like that. Your only protection is to never get behind the wheel of a black car in the first place. Just walk away, and life will be uncomplicated. But, you’ll always wonder…what if.

A thin film of dust becomes luminescent on a black car. Every single spot of anything, even dried sterile water, stands out like a goober zit on prom night. At first, it will disturb and upset you so much that you’ll wash your car immediately. And…then it’ll be dusty again before you even finish drying it. An unknown little fact: Black cars only stay clean for only 42 seconds. But, they are the sexiest 42 seconds you’ll ever know. Because of that 42 second rush, you’ll wash your black baby faithfully every weekend. For the first year anyway. And then, all those scratches and swirls you put in the paint taking care of your baby will erode your resolve. You’ll start skipping. People will stare at your car in disgust, and make all sorts of judgments about your sloppiness. You'll scream things at them like; 'Shut up - I just washed this damn car 15 minutes ago.' Of course, you could always buy the black car and make it a garage queen...and never drive it. That's really smart! But hey, it will still get dusty...and all scratched up by you carefully hand washing it.

If you’ve never owned a black car - you may want to admire them from afar, with someone else dealing with all that goes with owning a black car. But...maybe you're the kind of guy that is 'up for the job'. Because maybe you have loads of time and energy to deal with it. If so, you either don't have a job, or a wife, or a girlfriend (or both!), or children...or a even a life!

A scratch on a black car means only one thing - extreme sadness. Be prepared, because you will have zillions of tiny scratches all over your black beauty. You know what color the car is underneath that glossy black? White. You know what scratches black cars? Car washes. Yes, you must always wash it by hand, or that slick black paint will be gouged with zillions of little white arcs where the car wash spinners hit it. Oh, but guess what? If you even touch your paint when you hand wash it - you too will also be putting zillions of scratches in the paint. It simply cannot be helped. A scratched-up black car is not sexy. Don’t let your black car go like that. Don’t let it get all scratched up because you’re too lazy to wash it by hand either. Or, because it's too cold. Or, you don't have time. Nothing is worse looking than a black car with white swirl rainbows in the black paint that is supposed to be like a fine mirror finish. Be prepared to buy thousands of dollars worth of products and tools to keep it decent looking. Are you ready to wash/clean, strip, clay, polish and wax/coat on a regular basis? All to see it looking less than sexy again as soon as you drive it around the block.

You will park under a tree where birds are known to perch only once. It will only take you one time to park under the trees in a parking lot notorious for attracting flocks of pooping birds to learn this lesson the hard way. If the bird poop remains for more than an hour on that soft black finish the paint becomes acid etched for sure, which will add nicely to all those swirls and scratches.

Black cars aren’t just hot, they are HOT. Getting into a black car on an average summer day is like getting inside a Weber barbecue with the coals at a perfect red glow. If you like to wear shorts, get used to the smell of bacon frying. It takes longer for the A/C to put out the fire.

Other than that - enjoy your black car!
Old 11-30-16, 10:26 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Sweet love the black color on the GS , the car being the base package with no ML radio can't be a 58k Msrp unless it's a luxury/sports package. Did the dealer show you the build sheet. Have attached a 58k delivery sheet just for reference.
Attached Thumbnails New (to me) GS350 owner-photo457.jpg  

Last edited by Dallasguy1; 11-30-16 at 10:38 PM.
Old 12-01-16, 04:10 AM
phins2rt
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Congrats! Nice color combo!
Old 12-01-16, 07:56 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by fijjy
Northeast cars usually don't get that option as ordered by the dealers.

Ed
Old 12-01-16, 12:21 PM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Congrats! Looks beautiful.

There are other options such as Heads Up Display, Lane Keep Assist, and Pre-collision system with dynamic radar cruise, but they are hard to find. For example, the spec sheet on mine:

Old 12-01-16, 06:05 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Great find! I think you and i share the same feeling with the black exterior. This is my first black car and the moment i come home from getting it washed... it'll be dirty already

I bought my 2013 GS350 2 months ago for 29k OTD so i'll say you got a great deal!
Old 12-01-16, 09:36 PM
CTNYC
Rookie

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Sweet love the black color on the GS , the car being the base package with no ML radio can't be a 58k Msrp unless it's a luxury/sports package. Did the dealer show you the build sheet. Have attached a 58k delivery sheet just for reference.
Originally Posted by grayson73
Congrats! Looks beautiful.

There are other options such as Heads Up Display, Lane Keep Assist, and Pre-collision system with dynamic radar cruise, but they are hard to find. For example, the spec sheet on mine:
Y'all are sharp! Looking back at my spec sheet, mine is actually a $56k build - guess I read the 6 for an 8 (or was thinking about the MSRP for a base 535i xDrive). First Lexus, so not as used to having more than 3 option packages like Acura did lol - I'm sure I'll get a hang of the different packages, though.

Mine is equipped with
-18" alloy wheels w/ superchrome finish
-Blind Spot Monitor w/ Power-Folding mirrors
-Climate Package
-Intuitive Park Assist
-Navigation
-Premium Package
-Trunk Mat, cargo net, wheel locks, bumper app

Total MSRP New: $56578

Still a significant step up compared to my TL and ILX Hybrid. Hopefully I don't have any issues with the GS like I did with my Acuras.

Originally Posted by k0kong
Great find! I think you and i share the same feeling with the black exterior. This is my first black car and the moment i come home from getting it washed... it'll be dirty already

I bought my 2013 GS350 2 months ago for 29k OTD so i'll say you got a great deal!
Very nice - I live right outside DC and I visit family up in NJ/NY/CT often, so I had the luxury to easily shop dealerships in the DC, Philadelphia, NYC, and Boston metro area dealerships without really going too far out of my way. Was looking at 2013s too, but the price difference between 2013/2014 wasn't too large and the power folding side mirrors was on the top of my "would like to have" list because of the tight DC/Northern VA parking garage spaces.