GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

AWD vs. RWD

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-16, 08:25 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts
Default AWD vs. RWD

All of the GS's I've sat in are AWD models here in Illinois. I notice a 'bump out' on the drivers side next to my right leg on the transmission tunnel. It would seem annoying driving as far as it sticks out so close to your right leg. My question is, does the RWD model have this bump out too? I was thinking it was part of the AWD set up but, not sure. Do any RWD owners notice this on their GS?
The following users liked this post:
AquaMayne (10-30-20)
Old 11-22-16, 08:28 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

There's no bump there on my RWD model.
Old 11-22-16, 08:30 PM
gadgeeets
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually the bump out isn't bad when your driving
Old 11-22-16, 08:36 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

It's much more intrusive on the AWD IS, but even then it didn't bother me. I never notice it on my AWD GS.
Old 11-22-16, 09:51 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Thanks! I didn't think it bothered AWD owners. I thought it was too intrusive when I drove one. I'll be buying the RWD down south when it comes time to purchase.
Old 11-23-16, 07:03 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

The bump doesn't bother me at all. I don't even notice it. After owning many GS vehicles over the years, they have all had the bump, no big deal.

Hopefully you don't get much snow in IL.
The following users liked this post:
NickMayer (11-03-20)
Old 11-23-16, 07:12 AM
phins2rt
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I do notice it but haven't put enough miles on the car to see if it will be an issue long term. GL with your purchase!
Old 11-23-16, 07:39 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jtrue28
The bump doesn't bother me at all. I don't even notice it. After owning many GS vehicles over the years, they have all had the bump, no big deal.

Hopefully you don't get much snow in IL.
Still saving up to purchase one so, it's going to be a while. I've made my mind up that a GS F-Sport is what I want. I have a 14 RX which has been a great vehicle but it's totally boring and I'm more of a car guy anyway. The GS will be a RWD and only driven on dry days during the winter. The color will either be Caviar/red or White/red. My RX is Stargazer black and looks great when clean and polished but white is so much more forgiving from a maintenance standpoint. I'll be glad to hand the RX over to the wife when the time comes.
Old 11-23-16, 02:26 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't think the bump really bothers people at all really.
Old 11-23-16, 02:52 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Never knew it was there ('13 AWD).
Old 10-30-20, 08:55 AM
AquaMayne
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

The bump is bothering me.. i dunno what to do.. i need awd but this bump is driving me nuts.. why the hell would they do that, let alone to the person driving the car. The driver should have top priority when it comes to comfort. I cannot get comfortable in this car for the life of me! For around town its not bad. About an hour drive or more, and its really getting on my nerves. Using cruise control helps to free my leg up to stretch and get off the damn bump, but my God, wtf was Lexus thinking. I am fairly thin too, i have a little meat on me but overall im skinny.. This car is absolutely beautiful, but Im really starting to regret getting this car.
Old 10-30-20, 12:10 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by charley95
All of the GS's I've sat in are AWD models here in Illinois. I notice a 'bump out' on the drivers side next to my right leg on the transmission tunnel. It would seem annoying driving as far as it sticks out so close to your right leg. My question is, does the RWD model have this bump out too? I was thinking it was part of the AWD set up but, not sure. Do any RWD owners notice this on their GS?
I assume the hump is on the left side of the RHD version as well?

If you look at it, it appears to be massive and in the way. I had much the same thoughts. However, I'm 5'10" and where I set the seat, it isn't even an issue. If I were sitting in the car as an easy chair, it might be in the way but with my right leg doing the throttle and brakes, there's really not any problem with it. I don't curl my right leg up under me.
Old 10-30-20, 07:13 PM
lexluga901
Driver School Candidate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When I first purchased my car, I honesty thought it would be an annoyance, but truthfully it doesn't bother me at all. Im 6 foot tall and the hump doesn't intrude my driving or comfort level on short or long trips.
Old 10-30-20, 07:30 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Knucklebus
I assume the hump is on the left side of the RHD version as well?

If you look at it, it appears to be massive and in the way. I had much the same thoughts. However, I'm 5'10" and where I set the seat, it isn't even an issue. If I were sitting in the car as an easy chair, it might be in the way but with my right leg doing the throttle and brakes, there's really not any problem with it. I don't curl my right leg up under me.
Yes on the RHD GS the bump is on the same side, in Japan that would be the passenger side, driver doesn't have it. Looks like they designed it with bias for Japan(RHD) cars. Then rather doing a drivetrain redesign just carried it over for LHD.

This is the best pic of it I could find from a Japanese car site:

Old 10-30-20, 08:06 PM
Knucklebus
Instructor

Received 398 Likes on 282 Posts

I would guess the transfer case on most AWD and 4x4 vehicles (conventional ones) is on the left side of the vehicle. BMW, Dodge, Ford, GM, Jeep and Toyota to name a few. The Mercedes 4-Matic seems to be the oddball along with the GTR that splits the power with two drive shafts on each side of the trans that run one wheel each.

Quick Reply: AWD vs. RWD