GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Slip

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-16, 06:43 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Received 144 Likes on 64 Posts
Default Transmission Slip

Has anyone ever noticed a transmission slip on their GS? I do on my 2015, but only at certain situations and not 100% of the time.

The only time I notice it is when I drive down a slight grade and then back up another slight grade. Its almost as if the transmission won't catch on the grade going up, at least right at first. After a couple of seconds (and yes the RPMs do increase like I'm in neutral) after I let off the gas pedal, then it catches again.

I've taken it to the dealer, but of course they can't replicate it and neither can I where they are at. I may have to have one of their service guys come out to my neighborhood where I experience it the most.
Old 11-19-16, 07:24 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Were you driving in Sport + mode? Sounds like were. The car tends to hold on to gears longer in Sport + mode.
Old 11-19-16, 07:30 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I believe I know what you're referring to. It is part of the transmission logic, which steps on its own toes sometimes.
Old 11-19-16, 09:52 AM
marjenmill
Intermediate

No, not in Sport or Sport+ mode - only Normal. And only going about 25 to 30 MPH.
Old 11-19-16, 10:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

I doubt seriously your transmission is slipping. I suspect your 8-speed transmission is just 'hunting' a bit for which gear it should lock into when it is in that ambiguous middle ground region where it's not necessarily one distinct gear, but an equal choice of two gears...and it just can't quite make up its mind for a second or two which gear to choose.
Old 11-21-16, 03:46 PM
marjenmill
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bclexus
I doubt seriously your transmission is slipping. I suspect your 8-speed transmission is just 'hunting' a bit for which gear it should lock into when it is in that ambiguous middle ground region where it's not necessarily one distinct gear, but an equal choice of two gears...and it just can't quite make up its mind for a second or two which gear to choose.
There's no doubt, it is slipping. When the RPMs race up to over 4000 without acceleration, its called a transmission slip, which is a fault.

I have another car that has a manual clutch, so I know what it feels like when the car is not engaged in gear.
Old 01-09-17, 02:10 PM
wjlim22
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I've also got a gear slip problem but mine is a 2013. I believe the 2013 has a different transmission. Mine slips when I try to accelerate quickly. Basically when I'm moving and I try to punch the gas, it will either stutter or the rpms will shoot up because the gear does not catch. I release the gas pedal and then the gear catches on and I'm able to drive normally, but I do think this is a serious problem. I've lost all confidence in being able to punch the gas when I need it. I dropped it off at the dealer today to have them check it out, but when I dropped it off, they said that if the check engine light isn't on, it's unlikely that there is a problem. They said it might just be normal. I'm wondering how could it be normal for that to happen??? I really don't want to be driving a car that slips gears when I need to go fast. Anyone else have this problem?
Old 01-09-17, 05:17 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Check engine light usually has no connection to transmission failure or slipping. CEL is emissions, air plumbing, O2 sensors, timing. venting, etc
Old 01-09-17, 05:57 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wjlim22
I've also got a gear slip problem but mine is a 2013. I believe the 2013 has a different transmission. Mine slips when I try to accelerate quickly. Basically when I'm moving and I try to punch the gas, it will either stutter or the rpms will shoot up because the gear does not catch. I release the gas pedal and then the gear catches on and I'm able to drive normally, but I do think this is a serious problem. I've lost all confidence in being able to punch the gas when I need it. I dropped it off at the dealer today to have them check it out, but when I dropped it off, they said that if the check engine light isn't on, it's unlikely that there is a problem. They said it might just be normal. I'm wondering how could it be normal for that to happen??? I really don't want to be driving a car that slips gears when I need to go fast. Anyone else have this problem?
Maybe you do have a problem, but the transmission (both 6-speed and 8-speed) is rock solid and rarely presents a problem even under harsh duty.
Old 01-09-17, 07:38 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

When you're on the slight down-grade, are you engine braking or neutral on the throttle, then getting back on the throttle for the slight up-grade? When your engine is revving to 4k rpm, what was it before and how hard did you press the gas?
Old 01-09-17, 08:48 PM
wjlim22
Rookie

The service writer said my transmission was doing some strange things so they are replacing my transmission. He said it is a very rare problem for these transmissions and I would assume that is true since there doesn't seem to be many reports of transmission issues on this model here. I'm disappointed in the problem, but glad it is still under warranty.
Old 01-10-17, 01:08 AM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

My '13 sometimes "hesitates" when trying to accelerate quickly after coming down to very low speeds. It feels like the tranny is just looking for the right gear, not slipping at all. But if that's not normal for the 6 speed, I'll have them look at that as well next time in. Otherwise, this is the best 6 speed auto tranny I've ever had. And I love the way it changes in Sport/Sport + mode.
Old 01-10-17, 01:44 PM
wjlim22
Rookie

Originally Posted by bclexus
Maybe you do have a problem, but the transmission (both 6-speed and 8-speed) is rock solid and rarely presents a problem even under harsh duty.
I hope I get a rock solid transmission when I get the car back from the dealer
In the meantime, they gave me a 2016 ES which I'm actually enjoying for the meantime, but I'm curious and anxious to see if the new transmission is going to be a big difference.
Old 01-12-17, 12:51 PM
wjlim22
Rookie

Got my car back with new transmission and it feels like a different car. It seems to shift smoother now and there hasn't been any slipping of gears at high speeds. It shifts at different points now when I drive slower. It used to rev a lot higher before even when I wasn't accelerating much. I don't know much about transmissions. So I can't even guess at why it was doing that before, but I'm just glad it seems to be fixed.
Old 01-12-17, 01:04 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by wjlim22
Got my car back with new transmission and it feels like a different car. It seems to shift smoother now and there hasn't been any slipping of gears at high speeds. It shifts at different points now when I drive slower. It used to rev a lot higher before even when I wasn't accelerating much. I don't know much about transmissions. So I can't even guess at why it was doing that before, but I'm just glad it seems to be fixed.
Glad you got it taken care of. Rare problem with such a rock-solid transmission.
The following users liked this post:
wjlim22 (01-12-17)