GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

License Plate - Motorized

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-16, 06:54 PM
markpjoyce
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default License Plate - Motorized

Anyone install a motorized front license plate (in states where a plate is required)? I don't want to put a plate on the front of my F-Sport as it ruins the look of the grill. It automatically disappears when driving and appears when parked. I wonder if it can get damaged when driving or in the car wash (if I take it through one).
Any thoughts?

http://www.midcityengineering.com/de...license-plate/
Old 11-18-16, 05:04 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 615 Likes on 463 Posts

Not sure where you live in IL, but unless you travel through South Barrington, or Buffalo Grove a lot, you should be fine without a plate. I've only been stopped a few times in the past 30 years for no plate. Only once was I fined.
Old 11-18-16, 09:04 AM
markpjoyce
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike728
Not sure where you live in IL, but unless you travel through South Barrington, or Buffalo Grove a lot, you should be fine without a plate. I've only been stopped a few times in the past 30 years for no plate. Only once was I fined.
Unfortunately, I park at O'Hare a lot and have received tickets there before. The police drive through the lot and give out a lot of tickets. Kind of like a welcome back gift when you return home.
Old 11-18-16, 09:14 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

On a sedan, these motorized units sit pretty low and have major risk of being ripped off when going over bumps and dips. Not to mention, they will build up with snow during the winter and won't function correctly. Consider looking into the ones that screw into the tow hook hole in the front. Just put it on when parked at O'Hare.
Old 11-18-16, 09:25 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by markpjoyce
Unfortunately, I park at O'Hare a lot and have received tickets there before. The police drive through the lot and give out a lot of tickets. Kind of like a welcome back gift when you return home.
yeah ORD got me a lot. This was my solution: loop black zip tie in the grill. then used velco straps to affix the plate when parked at ORD or in the city. I thought about the motorized plate, but was too worried about the salt/snow causing it to rust and break.
Old 11-18-16, 09:30 AM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That motorized plate is pretty cool, but I worry about the components getting damaged if you drive over speed bumps.

Here in California, the cops are pretty vigilant about the front plate so a lot of people here kind of take the risk and then just get the one that screws into the tow hole after a couple of tickets.
Old 11-18-16, 09:33 AM
markpjoyce
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by popping
yeah ORD got me a lot. This was my solution: loop black zip tie in the grill. then used velco straps to affix the plate when parked at ORD or in the city. I thought about the motorized plate, but was too worried about the salt/snow causing it to rust and break.
That might work for me as well. I'll have to give it a try and hope I don't forget.
Thanks for the advice!!!
Old 11-18-16, 09:50 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by markpjoyce
That might work for me as well. I'll have to give it a try and hope I don't forget.
Thanks for the advice!!!
My other advice.. Eff the ORD parking lots, cook county, and city of chicago. whenever I fly out of ORD, i park at https://www.preflightairportparking....ort-parking/11

secure and covered parking. Lobby gives you free water, coffee. good shuttle service. and it's cheaper than the economy lot. No tickets can be written either, as it's a private lot
Old 11-18-16, 09:57 AM
rcsail
Driver School Candidate

also recommend PreFlight parking. If you reserve and prepay on line you can save an add'l $1 or 2 each day.