GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Where to buy Lexus Platinum extended warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-16, 08:30 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Where to buy Lexus Platinum extended warranty?

Hello folks, I just bought a '13 450h and it's still in factory warranty for a short amount of time. I want to know where I can get the platinum extended warranty from Lexus, since you usually can only get that if you buy the car from a Lexus dealer - which I didn't. Anyone have the hookup?
Old 11-11-16, 09:14 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought from Troy Dietrich (just google his name) - I don't think he cares where you bought it from - as long as it is within warranty at the moment
Old 11-11-16, 09:32 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jj14
I bought from Troy Dietrich (just google his name) - I don't think he cares where you bought it from - as long as it is within warranty at the moment
Thanks for the info. It looks like the pricing would be slightly more than the Carmax warranty I was looking at, but with zero deductible. I think I'm going to go with the Lexus Platinum.
Old 11-11-16, 09:41 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by rjk
Thanks for the info. It looks like the pricing would be slightly more than the Carmax warranty I was looking at, but with zero deductible. I think I'm going to go with the Lexus Platinum.
If you had even the slightest thought about buying a Carmax warranty, go read these reviews first. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/carmax.html

In fact, having read up on Carmax recently, I wouldn't buy a car from them at all. There are much better options.
Old 11-11-16, 09:48 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Dave144239
If you had even the slightest thought about buying a Carmax warranty, go read these reviews first. https://www.consumeraffairs.com/automotive/carmax.html

In fact, having read up on Carmax recently, I wouldn't buy a car from them at all. There are much better options.
Well, the one I have been searching for was only available from them, and it checked out in every way that I was able to investigate - carfax, Lexus Drivers' service history, high res pictures, etc. I paid the transfer fee but am not obligated to purchase if there is a major issue, which isn't something that I foresee anyways. Unfortunately, there are not better options when I start getting all specific about the car that I want - hybrid 4th gen, luxury package, white exterior, etc. Very hard to find anywhere. So I am hoping for the best, and getting a good warranty just in case.
Old 11-11-16, 10:15 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Do you purchase an extended warranty on other things, such as televisions, computers, appliances, etc.? I never have purchased extended warranties...and have never once wish I had.
Old 11-11-16, 11:23 AM
rjk
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by bclexus
Do you purchase an extended warranty on other things, such as televisions, computers, appliances, etc.? I never have purchased extended warranties...and have never once wish I had.
Sometimes, but rarely. I've only ever owned Lexus vehicles, and while they are generally reliable, the repairs are very expensive. I have had exhaust systems replaced, steering racks replaced, struts replaced, headlight assemblies replaced, and so forth - the warranties have paid for themselves in those cases. Therefore, it's cheaper for me to have a warranty than to not have one.
Old 11-11-16, 01:41 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I bought mine from Carmax, and couldn't be happier. Squeaky clean, with all maintenance done by Lexus prior to me owning. Remember, you can take your car directly to Lexus with the Carmax warranty. I got a 0 deductible, 125k warranty for $1800 (39K on the odo). They tell you exactly what they Wont cover, and everything else is covered. Better than the "this covers 800 parts on your car", only to find out there's just as many others not covered.
Old 11-11-16, 09:23 PM
Taz68
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rjk
Sometimes, but rarely. I've only ever owned Lexus vehicles, and while they are generally reliable, the repairs are very expensive. I have had exhaust systems replaced, steering racks replaced, struts replaced, headlight assemblies replaced, and so forth - the warranties have paid for themselves in those cases. Therefore, it's cheaper for me to have a warranty than to not have one.
If you purchase the extended warranty, your car will be problem free for the entire time you own it. If you skip the warranty, your Lexus will start nickeling and dimeing you to death the day after the factory warranty expires!:
Old 11-11-16, 09:40 PM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Try Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota. Bought an 8yr/100,000 mile Lexus Factory Extra Care Platinum Zero Deductible Warranty from him a few years ago for my wife's RX350 for under $2k. Cheapest I could find at the time, here's his contact info:

Jerry Johnson
Warranty Manager
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Ford
Midwest Superstore
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
Cell 620-664-8844
Email jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com

Did it completely over phone/email, just had to buy a paper and take a picture of the odo w/the paper in front of it. Of course there's 110k on it now and it's had ZERO problems, never had to use it.
The following 2 users liked this post by boosteddsm:
DanBryant (01-01-18), kanke (05-20-17)
Old 05-20-17, 10:49 AM
kanke
Driver School Candidate

What are covered and what are not by this Lexus warranty? How is it compare to carmax warranty? Looks like carmax warranty always have deductible, ranging from $50 to $300 with different options.
8yr/100,000 mile for under 2K is very cheap. Did you negotiate the price of warranty? I am getting one quote of $2,985.00 for Lexus RX 350 AWD.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by boosteddsm
Try Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota. Bought an 8yr/100,000 mile Lexus Factory Extra Care Platinum Zero Deductible Warranty from him a few years ago for my wife's RX350 for under $2k. Cheapest I could find at the time, here's his contact info:

Jerry Johnson
Warranty Manager
Midwest Toyota
Midwest Ford
Midwest Superstore
1100 East 30th
Hutchinson, KS 67502
Phone 800-530-5789
Cell 620-664-8844
Email jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com

Did it completely over phone/email, just had to buy a paper and take a picture of the odo w/the paper in front of it. Of course there's 110k on it now and it's had ZERO problems, never had to use it.
Old 05-20-17, 02:29 PM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Originally Posted by kanke
What are covered and what are not by this Lexus warranty? How is it compare to carmax warranty? Looks like carmax warranty always have deductible, ranging from $50 to $300 with different options.
8yr/100,000 mile for under 2K is very cheap. Did you negotiate the price of warranty? I am getting one quote of $2,985.00 for Lexus RX 350 AWD.

Thanks.
https://www.sc.toyotafinancial.com/w..._eBrochure.pdf

No negotiation at all, I just called and asked for the guy and that was the deal. I've seen some of Carmax's "fixes" and they are horrendous. I personally wouldn't trust Carmax with any advanced Lexus repairs.

Last edited by boosteddsm; 05-20-17 at 02:38 PM.
The following users liked this post:
kanke (05-20-17)
Old 05-20-17, 05:39 PM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

No negotiation at all, I just called and asked for the guy and that was the deal. I've seen some of Carmax's "fixes" and they are horrendous. I personally wouldn't trust Carmax with any advanced Lexus repairs.

Carmax warranty allows you to take your car anywhere, including the Lexus dealership. I also would not have my Lexus repaired at a Carmax, but you can take it directly to Lexus.
kanke (05-20-17)
Old 05-20-17, 07:13 PM
kanke
Driver School Candidate

is your car 2WD or AWD?

Originally Posted by DP03
Carmax warranty allows you to take your car anywhere, including the Lexus dealership. I also would not have my Lexus repaired at a Carmax, but you can take it directly to Lexus.
Thank you both. Agree won't go carmax for repair. Carmax's warranty does allow you to take the car to Lexus dealership but it will take extra $50 deducible.

Looks price went up a lot
this is what Jerry quoted me:
L2-LEXUS,(RX350 2WD)
8 YEARS 100,000 MILES $2,460.00
L3-LEXUS-RX350- AWD) -(RX350-F- SPORT- AWD)
8 YEARS 100,000 MILES $2,985.00

Question, is the "8 Years 100,000 miles" started the date when I purchased the car, or the original purchase date?
Old 05-20-17, 08:57 PM
boosteddsm
Rookie

Originally Posted by kanke
is your car 2WD or AWD?
AWD

Looks price went up a lot this is what Jerry quoted me:
L2-LEXUS,(RX350 2WD)
8 YEARS 100,000 MILES $2,460.00
L3-LEXUS-RX350- AWD) -(RX350-F- SPORT- AWD)
8 YEARS 100,000 MILES $2,985.00

Question, is the "8 Years 100,000 miles" started the date when I purchased the car, or the original purchase date?
Original purchase date. Maybe Lexus changed things and standardized extended warranty prices across the board since it's the same price as you got elsewhere. Sorry I wasn't much help, good luck on whatever you decide.
kanke (05-20-17)

Quick Reply: Where to buy Lexus Platinum extended warranty?