GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What to look for buying Used

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-16, 08:20 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by program1
Nice pull! I see you mentioned NYC. Where'd you buy it?
Bay Ridge Hyundai actually. Not a CPO vehicle but they were far better to work with than BR Lexus...
Old 10-28-16, 05:26 AM
fas2000
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave144239
That's a great price with CPO. Did you find that the dealers were willing to come down on price? I haven't bothered going to my local dealers yet, as none of them have a Luxury Package car for sale. Most of what I'm finding is listed at $34-$36k with under 30k miles.

I found a guy on craigslist that had bought a lux cpo from lexus bridgewater just 4 months ago,and had an itch to go for the c63. He bought at about 30, but took a hit for 3k. I was skeptical about why he was selling so quickly, but the service maintenance history, car not having any accidents during his time. I could of gotten him lower, but i felt the deal was amicable and worked out well.

As for other dealers, beware of non lexus dealerships asking for 'prep fees'. This was very alarming to me. Fees that are not advertised online, where they tack on $2500 to to $3500 in my experience. It ended up that the lexus dealerships only seem to have a markup for being CPO. Apples to Apples, they are not that different. Non Lexus dealers seem to have cars that have more accident histories, but that is not that horrible as long as you get what you pay for.

As far as discounts, there seem to be very very little wiggle room. $100 to $500 from what i saw of the internet advertised prices.. The prices on the window were totally different, very high and so yes those had wiggle room. But i was suprised how little wiggle room there was , even for cars that i saw sitting onthe lot for 5 months plus! There was one white/flaxen '14 lux with 25k miles that was advertised at 29000 in queens. one accident, but the damage happened very early on and it was a minor bumper accident. very very well maintained. I got to the dealer, and he told me there was these 'dealer prep' fees of $2900 or so. The price was coming up to $32.5k, I tried to knock off the $2900, and that was not happening. Then I started working from there. The car was on sale for more then 7 months. He would not take off more then $100. I decided to walk. So I didnt have much luck with the dealerships knocking off any more then a couple of hundred bucks.

good luck in your hunting !
Old 10-28-16, 06:47 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by fas2000
I found a guy on craigslist that had bought a lux cpo from lexus bridgewater just 4 months ago,and had an itch to go for the c63. He bought at about 30, but took a hit for 3k. I was skeptical about why he was selling so quickly, but the service maintenance history, car not having any accidents during his time. I could of gotten him lower, but i felt the deal was amicable and worked out well.

As for other dealers, beware of non lexus dealerships asking for 'prep fees'. This was very alarming to me. Fees that are not advertised online, where they tack on $2500 to to $3500 in my experience. It ended up that the lexus dealerships only seem to have a markup for being CPO. Apples to Apples, they are not that different. Non Lexus dealers seem to have cars that have more accident histories, but that is not that horrible as long as you get what you pay for.

As far as discounts, there seem to be very very little wiggle room. $100 to $500 from what i saw of the internet advertised prices.. The prices on the window were totally different, very high and so yes those had wiggle room. But i was suprised how little wiggle room there was , even for cars that i saw sitting onthe lot for 5 months plus! There was one white/flaxen '14 lux with 25k miles that was advertised at 29000 in queens. one accident, but the damage happened very early on and it was a minor bumper accident. very very well maintained. I got to the dealer, and he told me there was these 'dealer prep' fees of $2900 or so. The price was coming up to $32.5k, I tried to knock off the $2900, and that was not happening. Then I started working from there. The car was on sale for more then 7 months. He would not take off more then $100. I decided to walk. So I didnt have much luck with the dealerships knocking off any more then a couple of hundred bucks.

good luck in your hunting !
Thanks for the info! That's pretty much what I've seen from reading reviews of various dealers. The "prep fees" gimmick was a big complaint with some of the (non-Lexus) dealers. I've also seen two low-mileage LP cars listed as "no accidents", but then they give a link to the Carfax report and it has an accident listed. One was rear ended.

I think I'll stick to CPO cars.
Old 10-28-16, 07:29 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Do you guys contact the dealer before going or just show up with the print out of the cars you want to check out?
Old 10-28-16, 12:04 PM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by k0kong
I checked out Bay Ridge Lexus a few weeks ago for a 2013 nebula grey GS for 30k w/ 26k miles when i was in the market for one. Their cars do not look that bad online but only when i showed up in person did you really see how bad they are. Overall experience was not great either. They would not go down in pricing and none were very knowledgeable on any of the vehicles.
How can a car with only 26k miles be bad? What did the previous owner do to it?!?
Old 10-28-16, 12:07 PM
badman5
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a friend that has a dealres license. Try to find someone like that. It will allow you to buy directly from an auction (im in Chicago fyi) which saves you an easy $3-4K. Another thing ive been doing is asking for wholesale prices but some dealerships require you have a dealers license, others don't. As far as finding a specific vehicle, ive surprisingly had the most luck just using Google with very specific complex search queries.
Old 10-28-16, 12:09 PM
badman5
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by grayson73
How can a car with only 26k miles be bad? What did the previous owner do to it?!?
Check the vehicle history. If a price is lower then usual something might be up. Generally it indicates an accident based on my searches so far.
Old 10-28-16, 12:53 PM
program1
Driver School Candidate

This one isn't certified so it's not exactly what OP was talking about but this is an example of the quality I've seen at Bay Ridge. Check out the back seats. This car only has 32k on it and it looks like they used it to haul something in the back seat. I don't even think a child seat could put that kind of wear on it so fast. Maybe dogs?

http://www.bayridgelexus.com/Vehicle...-NY/2845321483

A lot of Bay Ridge cars look like this. They charge an extra $2900 for their CPO cars too. (on top of the listed price)
So, often if you sort by lowest price the Bay Ridge cars will rise to the top but once you add on $3k in fees you end up with a car more expensive than a comparable CPO from another dealer. If you are going to shop at Bay Ridge, you're probably better off not paying extra for the CPO. You'll get a great price but you'd be just as well off buying from a 3rd party dealership at that point.
Old 10-28-16, 01:00 PM
program1
Driver School Candidate

Oh, something else I recently learned about. Lexus is now doing no-haggle pricing. It's called Lexus Plus and it's an all volunteer pricing structure. Lexus has put the standards out to all the dealerships and they can follow them if they want. It probably depends on the market but there are several across the country who are now participating.

So, if you really want to try and get a quality no-haggle CPO experience, you might do well to check out a dealership participating. I visited the dealership in Rochester and the sales person told me they are part of the program but they aren't listed on the site. (so maybe they are trying it out but aren't "all in" yet). I was considering driving all the way down to Allentown this weekend to see what's up.
Old 10-28-16, 01:31 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

You'd be surprised. In urban areas especially here in NYC, people tend not to look out for your car. People park in spaces by literally bumping bumpers to get in, swing open doors wide-enough to hit your parked car with all four seasons with unforgiving cold and hot days...not to mention the randomness of potholes, branches, pollen, road debris alongside delivery mopeds and cyclists that are forced into using the same spaces...scratches, scuffs and nicks and fender-benders are all part of the fun!

I've seen the cars at Bay Ridge Lexus. Not all are in rough shape, but a few years back when I was shopping, they had a 2006 GS300 AWD listed for around $21k which was a good price (typical price was $22k-$23k at other dealerships). When I got there, they said the car was in the back and was not yet cleaned up but I was welcome to take a look. The car was in really awful shape. It looked like a lease return that was never washed or cared-for/maintained. I didn't even give it a second look and my salesman seemed to agree reluctantly.

People often lease cars here in NYC and don't do any maintenance (even though the maintenance is usually free). Folks sometimes just have no time for their cars -- maintenance is simply an afterthought. They just lease the car, return the car after the lease period, pay any fees if needed and lease something again...Really up the dealerships to decide to properly recondition the cars for resale. Even more important for folks not to pay premium prices to accept these "rough" cars.
Old 11-03-16, 09:53 PM
k0kong
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

That was i thought, so i drove 5 hours to NYC to check it out. initially it felt like the car needed a oil change really badly, and vibrated quite a lot during the test drive. I'm not sure if carbon build up had to do with that or bad fuel but it was hard to tell.
Both bumpers were resprayed, looked completely off, and was already dinged up. Clear coat was hazing in some areas, door trims were down to the bare metal ( not sure how but the previous owner must really not have cared about any one else' vehicles), right mirrors did not move anymore and the list goes on and on... The pictures didn't quite show this when i browsed it online.

I suppose since it was a NYC vehicle it would have numerous cosmetic issues but at 26k miles it looked like it should have at least 3 times as much
Old 11-03-16, 11:05 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

'14 FSports with only 18k miles ML radio super clean inside out and clean carfax history, took for pre-purchase inspection to find out several pieces were repainted including the hood/quarter panel and both bumpers. So you can't really tell looking at the miles and carfax what has happened on it.
Old 11-04-16, 06:33 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
'14 FSports with only 18k miles ML radio super clean inside out and clean carfax history, took for pre-purchase inspection to find out several pieces were repainted including the hood/quarter panel and both bumpers. So you can't really tell looking at the miles and carfax what has happened on it.
Any ideas on how to find a good place for pre-purchase inspection?
Old 11-04-16, 06:41 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 205 Likes on 156 Posts

Any ideas on how to find a good place for pre-purchase inspection?
There are some big companies doing it now - http://lemonsquad.com/
Old 11-04-16, 07:18 AM
program1
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dave144239
There are some big companies doing it now - http://lemonsquad.com/
Wow! You know everything!

Quick Reply: What to look for buying Used