GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Multiple dealerships told me 87 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 04:16 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

My time and energy is too valuable to be worrying about correcting and policing car salesmen, sorry lol.

Not trying to change the world, just trying to buy a friggin car!
Old 10-26-16, 04:23 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My time and energy is too valuable to be worrying about correcting and policing car salesmen, sorry lol.

Not trying to change the world, just trying to buy a friggin car!
Hear , hear! Interesting discussion point it might have been.

Old 10-26-16, 04:50 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Woot woot! Boeing engineer here!

Our sales team is pretty incredible. They deal with cultural differences, language barriers, price pressures, and intense competition. But anyway, back to the GS...

��
Old 10-27-16, 03:32 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JDR76
Woot woot! Boeing engineer here!

Our sales team is pretty incredible. They deal with cultural differences, language barriers, price pressures, and intense competition. But anyway, back to the GS...

��
Boeing ehh? Any particular division? I'm an Naval Aviation Maintenance Officer currently stationed on the Ford. Did a tour with superhornets (about to go back next year).
Old 10-27-16, 04:12 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by LXGXSAM1
When your Lexus start knocking due to repeated low octane use, might as well trade it in or sell it because the engine will never be the same. I've owned pre-owed many Lexus vehicles in the past which previous owners used low octane and I ended up getting rid of the vehicles a lot sooner because the knocking drove me crazy.
First of all, almost all engines today have knock sensors. Second of all, I find it hard to believe you've owned several used cars that you actually know what fuel the previous owner ran, and third of all, why were the engines knocking when you owned the car?
Is your name Donald Trump?
Old 10-27-16, 04:17 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by program1
Now things are getting interesting. Make that four Lexus sales people who've said it'll run on regular.

AGAIN - To be clear CL users. I am not asking if it's OKAY to run 87.

The reason I started this thread was to understand how/why the sales person told me the car could take 87. StereoRob may have just given me the first answer to that question. Because the sales people are being trained to tell customers the car can run on 87.
Answering the question as to whether it's okay to run regular is actually part of the answer you are asking. If we believe it's okay to run regular then we are explaining why four salesman would tell you that. I find it hard to believe you posted what you did and are now upset that we are discussing whether it's okay to run regular or not.
Old 10-27-16, 05:59 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Boeing ehh? Any particular division? I'm an Naval Aviation Maintenance Officer currently stationed on the Ford. Did a tour with superhornets (about to go back next year).
Boeing commercial widebody flight deck design. 👍
Old 10-27-16, 10:30 AM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Put yourself on the other end of table and you will see why carsale people react the way they are.
There are people come into dealer and ask for "fully loaded car" but in the reality all they really wanted is navigation...
Nowadays is it even harder to sell a car at sticker so a new GS sticker price is $58k, usually commission is $200 (0.34%) at mini- lots of discount. Sometimes they might get lucky and sell at sticker make $2,000 (3.4%).
Next time when you come to a dealer, you should ask what care your saleperson drive (probably not a Lexus) . Average, sale peaopke make 30k per year. Only top dog make 100k+, and most of them end up become sale managers (the desk).
Like other members said: either smart guys move up or move out. You will end up with the green guy or a-hole guy when you walk into a dealership without knowing someone. Ps: Internet department is a different game though.
Old 10-27-16, 11:37 AM
program1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
Ps: Internet department is a different game though.
This is interesting. What do you mean?
Old 10-27-16, 11:52 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Originally Posted by Dkp1111
Put yourself on the other end of table and you will see why carsale people react the way they are.
There are people come into dealer and ask for "fully loaded car" but in the reality all they really wanted is navigation...
Nowadays is it even harder to sell a car at sticker so a new GS sticker price is $58k, usually commission is $200 (0.34%) at mini- lots of discount. Sometimes they might get lucky and sell at sticker make $2,000 (3.4%).
Next time when you come to a dealer, you should ask what care your saleperson drive (probably not a Lexus) . Average, sale peaopke make 30k per year. Only top dog make 100k+, and most of them end up become sale managers (the desk).
Like other members said: either smart guys move up or move out. You will end up with the green guy or a-hole guy when you walk into a dealership without knowing someone. Ps: Internet department is a different game though.
Businesses make their own choices as do employees. There are first class dealers in this world with high class, knowledgeable sales folks. In the past 18 months I've bought three cars from the Sewell dealerships. They are truly first class and most of their sales folks are Texas A&M grads.
Old 10-27-16, 12:24 PM
Dkp1111
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
Businesses make their own choices as do employees. There are first class dealers in this world with high class, knowledgeable sales folks. In the past 18 months I've bought three cars from the Sewell dealerships. They are truly first class and most of their sales folks are Texas A&M grads.
We have Lexus Newport Beach and fletcher jones MB here in my area with highly knowledge employees (one guy will work with you on the selling part, one guy will work with you at the delivery to show you the car inside out) if you are reagular they can delivery the car and paperwork to your house, top notch after selling services such as free car wash anytime you want, free airport transportation- you can park your car at their lot. But it come with prices. Their car wont be thousands under invoice... you get what you paid for, some people want to get high end services with cheapest price that normally wont happen.
Originally Posted by program1
This is interesting. What do you mean?
internet department have only one agenda - try to give competitive price so people will buy from them instead of their competitors. They know the lowest price that they can deal whereas the guy at the lot aka the middle men have to go through the desks(their managers). The guys at the lot always have to have the mentality that the peron walk into the lot might know nothing and they can try to make as much as they can out of that person (lots of trip to the desk, lots of waiting, lots of "good news we got the best price for you").
Old 10-27-16, 01:20 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,992 Likes on 1,416 Posts

I had my engine oil and filter changed in my GS 350 this morning at Park Place Lexus in Plano, Texas. I decided to just wait for the work to be done instead of getting a loaner car, so I spent a little over an hour piddling around looking at the cars, drinking coffee and watching television. I decided to ask a few sales people what octane various Lexus vehicles required - I ended up asking five sales people. All five immediately knew, without any hesitation, that the GS 350 requires premium 91 octane gasoline. Two of the five said the turbo GS 200t required 91 octane too. I asked those two sales people what would happen if 87 octane was used - and they both told me it was not recommended except in the case of an emergency. One of them told me that the engine performance would suffer and the engine would probably hesitate/surge with regular gasoline under full throttle. They seemed to know their stuff...
Old 10-27-16, 02:48 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bclexus
I had my engine oil and filter changed in my GS 350 this morning at Park Place Lexus in Plano, Texas. I decided to just wait for the work to be done instead of getting a loaner car, so I spent a little over an hour piddling around looking at the cars, drinking coffee and watching television. I decided to ask a few sales people what octane various Lexus vehicles required - I ended up asking five sales people. All five immediately knew, without any hesitation, that the GS 350 requires premium 91 octane gasoline. Two of the five said the turbo GS 200t required 91 octane too. I asked those two sales people what would happen if 87 octane was used - and they both told me it was not recommended except in the case of an emergency. One of them told me that the engine performance would suffer and the engine would probably hesitate/surge with regular gasoline under full throttle. They seemed to know their stuff...
Must be a location thing...
Old 10-27-16, 03:17 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Quality does indeed vary widely.
Old 10-27-16, 03:58 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
ask them what they fill their rental car with

Quick Reply: Multiple dealerships told me 87 Octane