GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Multiple dealerships told me 87 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 10:14 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Haha, you've clearly never spent any time in a car dealership.

On a busy Saturday, take a stroll over to your Lexus dealer and just walk around and pay attention to the people around you, listen to them talking and interacting with the salespeople. I promise you that people with the level of knowledge we have are VERY rare, and most people know nothing about cars, and the salespeople spew BS like this because their customers eat it up. "Oh Bill told me a secret, isn't he great!".

No joke, when I was getting the LS I made it a point to do that. While I was waiting I just listened. First couple comes in:

Couple: We want to buy a car

Salesman: Great, happy to help you. What model are you interested in?

Couple: We want a Lexus

Salesman: Okay, have you thought about an SUV or a sedan, coupe?

Couple: A Lexus car

Seeing that they were an older couple he took them out in an ES350. They came back from the test drive and sat down at the desk across from me.

Salesman: What sort of option packages have you thought about, do you want navigation?

Couple: We'd like air conditioning.

I'm not exaggerating! Not long after that a guy came in and told the receptionist he was there to see "The F Sport". The salesman he was paired with asked him which model F Sport he was interested in, GS, IS, LS, etc and his response was "the red one"

I asked my guy when he came back with all the paperwork and all how typical that was, and he replied that it happened all the time.

Confrontation won't do anything, they'll just think you're an a-hole and move on to the next person.
Thanks for making me laugh, that sounds exactly like my elderly parents when they bought their last car.
Salesman- this ES comes with a sunroof
Mom- that will just mess up my hair. Do you have any without a sunroof?
Salesman- let me check on that, oh by the way here's a white one with a beige interior.
Me thinking in my head- yup old folks love white/beige cars. They don't show the dirt and they are cooler in Texas summer.

BTW they bought a red ES. First time in their lives they bought a red car!
The following users liked this post:
sbowden99 (01-18-23)
Old 10-26-16, 10:23 AM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

One solution might be to ask them to put it down on paper. They will be careful what they commit to when evidence is left behind, plus then you can really dissect their words, i.e. 87 octane fuel CAN be used in this engine or 87 octane fuel is RECOMMENDED for this engine
Old 10-26-16, 10:28 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by xRYD3Rx
I always put 91 premium worth that 20-30cent extra. I get better Mpg and car doesn't feel sluggish.
You're getting a great deal. It's 60 cents more here.
Old 10-26-16, 11:25 AM
program1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Yes, the GS can run on 87. No it isn't recommended. End of story.
If you feel as though you must be correct then I'll grant that to you. But you're still answering a question I didn't ask.

I know that I don't really need you for anything more than to get me the vehicle I can already see on your inventory and then to the finance manager so we can talk about what I'm actually paying. I'm also not negligent to the fact that there are a host of people walking into dealerships with no decisions made and need a salesman to guide their journey into a fit that works for them.
Correct. But it sounds like you (and probably a lot of people on this forum) know an awful lot about the car. Perhaps more than a sales person would know.

Have you ever been into Best Buy and looked at the TVs? Usually the person knows less about them than the customers. Not because he/she doesn't care but because it's just not really part of the job anymore. The customer looks at the sizes, prices, picture, basic features; And then points to the one they want to buy and the people carry it out to their truck for them. As you've noted, for a lot of car buyers, this is also the process.

When I was in college I worked at Circuit City. I'm a nerd. So, I went out of my way to read through the reviews and manuals of all our TVs. I was especially interested in the larger TVs because they were something I couldn't afford at the time. I got excited about telling people everything I could about how it worked and what to expect. I became the guy that other customers would tell each other about. Every week someone would come in and say: "My neighbor told me to come in and talk to you about a TV."

I didn't ever lie to anyone (willingly), but there is certainly a chance I gave out bad advise based on something I read. Then came the Circuit City training. They told us to tell the customer that the TV would die in 5 years, but if they bought the protection plan we'd replace it for them for free. So, on a $2400 TV it just made sense to buy the plan because they were basically getting a free TV out of the deal for less than $200. I actually repeated that to customers! Not because I was a bad guy or a bad sales person. I did it because Circuit City insisted I sell protection plans as part of my job.

THAT is why I asked my question. The evidence of the sales people being trained to say the car does not need 91 octane fuel is the fact that I've now heard it from four different sales people (one of them a sales trainer). The sales people are being told the car does not need 91 octane and that is getting passed along to the customers. My intent was to open a dialog about WHY that might be and what people's thoughts were on how/why the conversation has changed.

NOTE: Again, I am not asking if it's okay to use 87. I am not asking you MustangSal if I can use 87 in the car. I am not asking if the car can run on 87. I am not asking what will happen if I put 87 in the car. I am asking what peoples thoughts are on why four different sales people (from four different dealerships) have now told me that the car does not need 91.
Old 10-26-16, 11:35 AM
dat dude
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know there has been talk that the RX would be okay with regular gas, but the GS is more performance based and would assume nothing but premium would be needed, not just for MPG but for engine sustainability.
Old 10-26-16, 12:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

When we were buying our Highlander, we looked at one at the first dealership. Because the hybrid RX uses requires premium fuel, I asked if the Highlander Hybrid also required it. My saleslady had to go ask several other sales people. None of them could answer the question. I just went to the car, popped open the gas door, and looked at the label. Standard 87 is the recommendation.
Old 10-26-16, 01:47 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,990 Likes on 1,414 Posts

I just filled mine up with water - using the garden hose. Drove it up and down the driveway a few times - runs just fine. I cannot believe I've been wasting money buying gasoline...
Old 10-26-16, 02:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,499 Likes on 1,802 Posts

Jesus, the salesperson better know about the car...you live and breathe it, every day.
Thats just not reality. I have never met a car salesman as knowledgeable about the car they are selling as I am, and that includes cars that I'm not intimately familiar with like Lexus. Never one time.

What you have to realize is any talented salesperson isn't going to sell cars, and if they do they aren't going to do it for long. Its just too hard to make a good living selling cars nowadays. If you're a good salesperson why struggle selling cars to make $70k when you can make $300k+ somewhere else selling something else? The answer is, you wouldn't LOL

Originally Posted by kitabel
There is a character trait common to salesmen: they think they're too smart to work.
I'm a salesman and I employ salespeople, this is not at all true of good salespeople. Good salespeople are willing to work however hard they have to in order to succeed. Lazy salespeople will never be successful\, regardless of the field. Some of the hardest working people I have ever seen are salespeople.
Old 10-26-16, 03:28 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Many years ago had a relative who was a salesman for Boeing. He learned Japanese so he could help sell planes to All Nippon and JAL.
Old 10-26-16, 03:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jkeller
Many years ago had a relative who was a salesman for Boeing. He learned Japanese so he could help sell planes to All Nippon and JAL.
Right lol, damn lazy salesmen!
Old 10-26-16, 03:50 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Some ancestor way back clearly kissed the Blarney Stone a few times, cause my uncle went from working at Boeing painting 707's to selling them.
Old 10-26-16, 03:52 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jkeller
Some ancestor way back clearly kissed the Blarney Stone a few times, cause my uncle went from working at Boeing painting 707's to selling them.
Thats the kind of thing that is missing from the US nowadays...today that wouldn't be possible because I'm sure Boeing has minimum education requirements for employment...
Old 10-26-16, 04:05 PM
jkeller
Advanced

True, this was in the 60-70's. My uncle Jack has been gone for many years now. I still remember all the Boeing model planes he used to give me as a kid, they would be painted for airlines from countries I had never heard of.
Old 10-26-16, 04:08 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by program1
NOTE: Again, I am not asking if it's okay to use 87. I am not asking you MustangSal if I can use 87 in the car. I am not asking if the car can run on 87. I am not asking what will happen if I put 87 in the car. I am asking what peoples thoughts are on why four different sales people (from four different dealerships) have now told me that the car does not need 91.
Yep, got that. I know you didn't ask it. Read it about 7 times now.... I'm not giving YOU the advice. I'm not telling you to use 91 vs 87. I haven't one time said that you. I'm simply stating that the salespeople are misleading you (and others) for some unknown reason. I don't know why. You don't know why (which is why you're asking). Again, my THOUGHT is that they are misleading people because they're either misinformed or purposely misleading people for some other reason which deserves to be challenged. The bottom line is that the car has a recommendation and the salespeople should be mirroring that recommendation.
Old 10-26-16, 04:10 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
I just filled mine up with water - using the garden hose. Drove it up and down the driveway a few times - runs just fine. I cannot believe I've been wasting money buying gasoline...
BC

Quick Reply: Multiple dealerships told me 87 Octane