GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Multiple dealerships told me 87 Octane

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-16, 06:11 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
First off - I couldn't care less about the engine in your GX - this is the GS 4th Gen forum. As for the guy on the GX forum who 'THINKS' Lexus rates them (a particular engine) for premium gasoline as a 'perception issue' so that Lexus owners feel like they are getting better engines - this is more than just laughable - it is a downright stupid belief. You say that you have no idea where the truth is. Come on man - I know you're smarter than that - you should know better than to believe such nonsense! Have I regarded you to be more intelligent than I should have?
So you are doubling down and still avoiding the obvious correlation to this thread. It's not about me being smart enough to believe "nonsense". It's about me being smart enough to investigate the FACT that there are two identical engines rated for two different octanes and you refuse to acknowledge that. I don't "believe" that, I know it for a fact.
Old 10-28-16, 08:14 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
First off - I couldn't care less about the engine in your GX - this is the GS 4th Gen forum. As for the guy on the GX forum who 'THINKS' Lexus rates them (a particular engine) for premium gasoline as a 'perception issue' so that Lexus owners feel like they are getting better engines - this is more than just laughable - it is a downright stupid belief. You say that you have no idea where the truth is. Come on man - I know you're smarter than that - you should know better than to believe such nonsense! Have I regarded you to be more intelligent than I should have?
I'm curious why you think this is such a stupid belief? Far stupider things have been done in the world of marketing, product positioning, and brand control. As for our GS, it is a fairly high compression ratio engine and I believe it indeed needs the higher octane fuel, and there are many customer testimonials that agree. But that is not to say it's the same for another engine type.

Lexus themselves maintain inconsistent wording. I added emphasis. On their web portal, they state "For all 2011 through 2016 models, Lexus recommends Unleaded Fuel. Please see the chart below for the recommended minimum octane rating." Whereas the title of their subsequent chart is "Required minimum octane." Whereas the owner's manual correctly states that unleaded fuel is required, not just recommended, and that 91 octane is recommended, with 87 being the minimum required.

For the OP, on page 2 I provided some suggestions. I think your frustration with the thread is an answer of itself to your question -- customers who do know about the product care more about the technically correct answer, which is that the engine can use 87 octane fuel, but Lexus recommends 91. They care more about that debate than to consider the thoughts of salespeople.
Old 10-31-16, 06:24 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Car salesmen and gun counter salesmen are same ignorant breed