GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-16, 08:05 PM
MH6
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Mterrence, your smart in your thinking. There have been some discussions here on this subject. There is no lifetime oil or fluid, anyone who thinks it exist, are those who learn the lesson the hard way, assuming they keep the car for a long period of time.
Oil is the life of an engine or transmission and requires common sense interval replacement if you want to get long life out of either.....especially if you run your car hard. Oil changes are cheap insurance.
WS is nothing special and will break down like any other lubricant. Being a sealed unit, a dis justice to us owners in my opinion, just makes it much harder and costly to perform maintenance on it. Several steps to replacing it properly.
I will be replacing at 60k and many others like yourself, share the opinion, I would never run oil 100,000 miles or longer. Dif oils getting changed at same time.
To properly flush the trans will require approx 12 quarts if done on a WS machine.

Stick to your plan, it will pay off in the long run.
My humble opinion on the subject.

Last edited by MH6; 10-24-16 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-24-16, 10:34 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

My 1999 BMW 540i had the same "lifetime" concept and I always changed the fluid anyway. I'll be changing this at 60,000 miles.
Old 10-25-16, 08:07 AM
MTerrence
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
If the vehicle already comes with lifetime fluid, can you help us understand what part of lifetime you don't understand?
The word "lifetime", of course.

As I stated, I'm skeptical as to the premise of an automotive fluid or component that can last forever. Does engine oil last forever? No; they want me to change it every 5,000 miles. Does brake fluid last forever? No; they want me to change it every 20,000 miles. Does coolant last forever? No; they want me to change it every 100,000 miles. (I will leave out power steering fluid, as of course this vehicle does not use hydraulic power steering.)

Why should differential fluid and transmission fluid be any different? On the 2009 Lexus GS, which was mechanically very similar (same engine, same transmission), differential fluid was recommended to be changed every 40,000 miles; now, not at all. Similarly, Lexus recommended that transmission fluid be changed every 60,000 miles. Now, not at all.

In between model years 2009 and 2010, the Lexus GS - while retaining the same engine, the same transmission, and the same differentials, as far as I know - went from having two fluids that needed periodic replacement to two that would apparently last forever. I remain unconvinced.
Old 10-25-16, 08:28 AM
MH6
Driver

Well said
Old 10-25-16, 05:55 PM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Transmission oil change.

MTerrence, I totally agree with your thinking. Oil wears out and also becomes a carrier of contaminants. There's also another thread on this subject. Basically, one theory is to put in the same amount that you drain out. This would be hard to measure exactly. I understand Lexus adds a jumper so the car displays transmission temperature and they can determine the fluid level that way. I just bought a 2014 Lexus certified in early September this year. Had 49,160 miles on a 2-year lease. I want to change the differential and transmission oil. Thinking of 75W-90 Amsoil Severe Gear in the diffs. Calls for lightweight 75W-85 in the rear diff and 90W in the front. Enjoy your new ride.
Old 10-29-16, 08:45 AM
RA051823
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

There is no such thing as "lifetime" fluid. Ask BMW, Porsche, and Mercedes how "lifetime" fluid worked out for them. If you plan on keeping your car for the long haul, I highly recommend you change the fluid every 60k miles.
Old 11-02-16, 04:55 PM
2GR
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Thumbs down

[QUOTE=faifai83;9659144]If the vehicle already comes with lifetime fluid, can you help us understand what part of lifetime you don't understand?[/QUO
Ha. This is exactly what my BMW Service Adviser said until my Rear Diff & Transmission failed at 90k.
I was told that any language using words like "lifetime" was in process of being revised by BMW.
Old 11-02-16, 05:52 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MTerrence
The word "lifetime", of course.

As I stated, I'm skeptical as to the premise of an automotive fluid or component that can last forever. Does engine oil last forever? No; they want me to change it every 5,000 miles. Does brake fluid last forever? No; they want me to change it every 20,000 miles. Does coolant last forever? No; they want me to change it every 100,000 miles. (I will leave out power steering fluid, as of course this vehicle does not use hydraulic power steering.)

Why should differential fluid and transmission fluid be any different? On the 2009 Lexus GS, which was mechanically very similar (same engine, same transmission), differential fluid was recommended to be changed every 40,000 miles; now, not at all. Similarly, Lexus recommended that transmission fluid be changed every 60,000 miles. Now, not at all.

In between model years 2009 and 2010, the Lexus GS - while retaining the same engine, the same transmission, and the same differentials, as far as I know - went from having two fluids that needed periodic replacement to two that would apparently last forever. I remain unconvinced.

You're wrong about the 2009' Lexus GS350 that Lexus recommend transmission fluid to be changed every 60k and differential fluid to be changed every 40k. The manual clearly stats to inspect it for leaks and that is all. There's a Lexus 2IS on the forum here never change his transmission or differentials (2IS, 3GS, or 4GS RWD don't have real LSD).. He drove it up to almost 260k without any issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...es-review.html

Last edited by mong; 11-02-16 at 06:29 PM.
Old 11-02-16, 06:47 PM
MH6
Driver

Originally Posted by mong
You're wrong about the 2009' Lexus GS350 that Lexus recommend transmission fluid to be changed every 60k and differential fluid to be changed every 40k. The manual clearly stats to inspect it for leaks and that is all. There's a Lexus 2IS on the forum here never change his transmission or differentials (2IS, 3GS, or 4GS RWD don't have real LSD).. He drove it up to almost 260k without any issue.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...es-review.html
Without issues .......I guess you missed his statement in his first post ....... "I did not go by the Lexus Preferred Maintenance program. Now obviously with this many miles issues will come up, such as the transmission is starting to slip, rear axles are knocking, overheating if sitting in idle for more than 15 minutes in 100 degree heat and that's about it."

Perhaps if he had changed trans fluid, dif oil and cooloant, he most likely would not be having the stated problems above ......
Old 11-02-16, 06:54 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MH6
Without issues .......I guess you missed his statement in his first post ....... "I did not go by the Lexus Preferred Maintenance program. Now obviously with this many miles issues will come up, such as the transmission is starting to slip, rear axles are knocking, overheating if sitting in idle for more than 15 minutes in 100 degree heat and that's about it."

Perhaps if he had changed trans fluid, dif oil and cooloant, he most likely would not be having the stated problems above ......
Uhh I actually did read that part. He started having the issue at around the 200ish k mark. Those issue vary on driving habits and etc. I had a 1997 Lexus ES 300 with over 300k. Never change my tranny fluid. Is still running til this day(Uncle is now driving it)
Old 11-02-16, 07:30 PM
MH6
Driver

LOL .... just simply pointing out your statement .... 260k no issues,....when there were issues and now you point out his troubles actually started at around 200k.
His troubles are attributable to a lack of maintenance .... simple.
Old 11-02-16, 07:53 PM
mong
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MH6
LOL .... just simply pointing out your statement .... 260k no issues,....when there were issues and now you point out his troubles actually started at around 200k.
His troubles are attributable to a lack of maintenance .... simple.
Like I said earlier. It really depend on driving habits. Passing 200k on any vehicle is a feat in itself. After that point.. driving habits, heavy loading or light load comes to play. I've seen some tranny slipping at 50k because they were overloading all the time with supplies. But you are right to correct me with the not having an issue statement cause he did had some issues later on.
Old 11-02-16, 09:15 PM
MH6
Driver

All good man, all friendly conversations here
Old 11-03-16, 08:53 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

The way I see it, "lifetime" means for the life of the transmission. So if the transmission lasts 75,000 miles, the fluid lasted for the lifetime of the transmission. What a waste.

Despite what the marketing surveys say, I am not interested in a preventative maintenance free car. It's the corrective maintenance that is unacceptable.
Old 11-12-16, 12:57 PM
flyingdave
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always take the line that fluids are cheap when compared to replacement parts. Argue that with my wife a lot on that point on this car.

Quick Reply: Transmission Fluid - Change or Not? (Merged threads)