GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Are My F Sport Drive Modes Working?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-16, 12:09 PM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Are My F Sport Drive Modes Working?

Lease expired on my ’15 GS (non-f sport) and I just got a ’16 F sport. In my prior non-f sport, when I put it in sport mode the steering immediately got tighter, the throttle got more responsive, and it held gears longer. Very dramatic changes. On my new f sport, I can tell little if any difference between normal, S, and S+. The suspension in general feels different between the two cars and I like the f sport suspension feel better in general, but switching the drive modes seems to do little, if anything, in the new f sport whether it be throttle, gear changes, or suspension.I’ve already asked dealer and they say everything is functioning normally….although I have no confidence in what they are telling me. If anyone has had experience with both cars, I’m curious about your observed drive mode differences between the two models? I'm just surprised that mode changes were so dramatic in the non-f sport and almost nothing it n the new f sport, even in S+.
Old 10-22-16, 12:14 PM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If I were you I would test drive a different '16 F Sport from their inventory. That way you can compare year to year and if there are differences you can show them right away.
Old 10-22-16, 12:19 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Hard for us to know, but remember that the drive modes on AVS cars function differently.

On a non-AVS car, Sport mode gives you the engine AND steering changes. On an AVS equipped car, Sport mode only changes the engine (transmission and throttle). Sport + adds the steering and suspension changes and should feel pretty obvious.
Old 10-22-16, 03:27 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Also, remember that your car is new and the ECU is still in the learning stage. So sport and sport+ might be a little sluggish for throttle and transmission. I can tell you that there is a big difference between modes on my 2015 F-sport.
Old 01-04-17, 09:27 PM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by dchar
Also, remember that your car is new and the ECU is still in the learning stage. So sport and sport+ might be a little sluggish for throttle and transmission. I can tell you that there is a big difference between modes on my 2015 F-sport.

Dchar, how does your new GS350 F Sport feel in Sport+ mode compared to your previous one? Also, is it possible to keep it always in Sport+ or Customize mode? My previous GS F Sport seemed to have heavier steering and stiffer suspension in Sport+.
Old 01-04-17, 10:33 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Wincer94
Dchar, how does your new GS350 F Sport feel in Sport+ mode compared to your previous one? Also, is it possible to keep it always in Sport+ or Customize mode? My previous GS F Sport seemed to have heavier steering and stiffer suspension in Sport+.
Sport S+ in my 2017 feels like Sport S+ in all of my previous GS350 F-sport; steering feels just as weighted and suspension just as stiff. It cannot be set to start in Sport S+ mode every time you start. There is a Customize mode, but it doesn't start in that mode either.
Old 01-05-17, 04:15 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Each mode going from ECO, to normal, to sort, to sport+ feels pretty significant in throttle response, shift points, and (on my hybrid) where the engine cutout markers are.

The steering and suspension changes in Sport+ and definitely noticeable.

Has you local Lexus had an opportunity to do a diagnostic on it?
Old 01-05-17, 06:26 AM
OUGrad05
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Hard for us to know, but remember that the drive modes on AVS cars function differently.

On a non-AVS car, Sport mode gives you the engine AND steering changes. On an AVS equipped car, Sport mode only changes the engine (transmission and throttle). Sport + adds the steering and suspension changes and should feel pretty obvious.
What is AVS?
Old 01-05-17, 07:36 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by OUGrad05
What is AVS?
Adjustable Variable Suspension. It's part of the F Sport and the Luxury packages.
Old 01-05-17, 08:10 AM
Wincer94
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Not sure if it's because car is new and ECU is still in the learning stage. Plus I was driving our older Honda Accord with much heavier steering at low speeds for about a week.
Old 01-05-17, 09:13 AM
Barkley45
Driver

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Just to piggy-back off this...do you guys shift into these modes while driving, or do you shift it only when you're in park, or at a stop sign/light? When i first started looking at the GS i went for a test drive with a salesman at the dealership. He asked me to slow down to about 50mph change it to sports+ mode and then floor it. I guess i just dont understand how a car's suspension could change while the car is already moving.
Old 01-05-17, 09:22 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

I'm always flipping modes while under way. No harm.
Old 01-05-17, 12:08 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

+1. I flip it around on the go.

Stop n go traffic or heavy stuff usually gets a bump to eco. Normal city driving too depending. I spend most of my time in Normal and whenever the hamsters are restless I go to sport or +.
Old 01-05-17, 12:14 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Barkley45
Just to piggy-back off this...do you guys shift into these modes while driving, or do you shift it only when you're in park, or at a stop sign/light? When i first started looking at the GS i went for a test drive with a salesman at the dealership. He asked me to slow down to about 50mph change it to sports+ mode and then floor it. I guess i just dont understand how a car's suspension could change while the car is already moving.
Changing the modes is mostly all electronic aside from the suspension damping rates, which is mechanical. He most likely asked you to slow down so you could notice the difference when mashing the pedal. The throttle mapping and steering ratios changes are significant.
Old 01-05-17, 06:01 PM
gflexus
Rookie

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks for all the input guys …I’m the OP. Remember I am very familiar with these cars as I had been previously driving a ’15 non-F.On that car Sport mode made a significant difference as you've all described in throttle, shift points, and steering weight.I now have had the new ’16 F Sport for about 3 months/1500 mi.When putting it in S+ mode I still notice very little change in anything other than throttle “slightly” more aggressive.I do not notice any change in gear holding, steering, or suspension.I’m wondering if they toned down the effect of these S/S+ modes on the ’16+ models?One thing for sure, in my opinion, the F Sport has a s significantly better ride and control even in Normal mode, due to the AVS suspension, than my non-F Sport. Maybe someone who has had a ‘13-`15 that now has a ‘16+ could comment if they have noticed any difference in how these modes function between the models.

Quick Reply: Are My F Sport Drive Modes Working?