GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Illuminated door sills installed!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 01:22 PM
avs20
Driver

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Illuminated door sills installed!

Finally got around to installing these today. The instructions that come with them are crazy. They want you to take apart half of the interior to wire them up. There is no need for that at all..so those of you scared to install them yourself, don't be. It takes 15 minutes a side to wire them up. Just take off the lower panel that houses the LED floor light and you're good to go. If you have any questions about the install I'd be happy to answer them!
Attached Thumbnails Illuminated door sills installed!-img_3772.jpg   Illuminated door sills installed!-img_3773.jpg  
Old 10-03-16, 02:46 PM
bestlexus
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by avs20
Finally got around to installing these today. The instructions that come with them are crazy. They want you to take apart half of the interior to wire them up. There is no need for that at all..so those of you scared to install them yourself, don't be. It takes 15 minutes a side to wire them up. Just take off the lower panel that houses the LED floor light and you're good to go. If you have any questions about the install I'd be happy to answer them!
What model lexus do you have? I have the ES350 and want to install on them.
Old 10-03-16, 03:25 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

All the other threads that I've read on this make it seem quite complicated. It would be awesome if you could create an easy to follow DIY topic on installing illuminated door sills, especially if you could film the process.

Here are some of the best DIY threads that people from ClubLexus have contributed in the past (which you could use as a reference): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ere-first.html

Would really look forward to something like this,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 10-04-16 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-03-16, 03:57 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

You're a good man, avs20. My sills should be here on Wednesday. I know where the floor lights are and have removed the passenger side panel before (there's a good power source there for my dash camera). Thanks for the tip - looking forward to an easy/quick installation.
Old 10-03-16, 04:00 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

As soon as I submitted my post, I thought of another question. Don't the floor lights stay on all the time? I realize they are dim and get brighter when the door is open/car in park/etc. Doesn't that mean the sills will do the same? Does it really matter, as they will be hidden when the doors are closed?

I would be curious to know if the instructions tell you to use a different source as to NOT have the dimming effect.
Old 10-03-16, 05:15 PM
avs20
Driver

bestlexus - 2013 GS350

DallasDave...the instructions actually tell you to tap in to the floor lights. The wires coming from the sills are the exact same color, so you can match the colors and tap right into them. I used my power probe to make sure they were correct before tapping into them, and they were. If you've taken the panels off before, this should be a breeze. The drivers side has 3 screws and 2 clips. The passenger side is just clips.
Old 10-03-16, 06:29 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Speaking from experience on this install, you need to tap the power source of the dome light. That's the way it should be. You open the door, the dome light comes on and the sill lights come on.

Easy way to see if the lights go off when the door is closed, is to leave the door open and press the black nipple thing on the door frame that tells the car the door is closed.

Did you order the sills from Lexus USA, or the ones for JDM from Nigel? Price difference has always made me scratch my head.
Old 10-03-16, 07:32 PM
avs20
Driver

They are the USA versions, not the JDM(is there a difference?). As far as tapping the dome light, that doesn't make sense since it will be much harder to find that wire considering it probably runs down the A-pillar or is buried behind the fuse box. The floor lights are essentially the same thing..open a door and the sills come on. Do the floor lights have power while the car is running? Yes..but we are talking about LED's here..not halogens that consume more power and burn out over time. The LED's should last the life of the car, and with the door closed you won't even know the sills are still illuminated.
Old 10-03-16, 07:40 PM
avs20
Driver

Woah! Just looked at the JDM sills on Nigel's site..$727?!!? I believe all four doors light up, but damn. I had a hard time paying $250 for some door sills...
Old 10-05-16, 10:46 AM
bestlexus
Driver School Candidate

Post illuminated door sills

The installation appears to be more difficult on a 2014 ES350. I have pictures if you want to see them. There are numerous pieces of wire wrapped up. Would guess about 10-15 different ones. So I don't think it's as easy as it sounds. I can send pics on email.
Old 10-05-16, 11:57 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

They are not supposed to be on when the doors are closed. You would not see them anyway. They tap into the dome lighting not the floor lighting.
Old 10-05-16, 08:46 PM
avs20
Driver

Every set of instructions I have seen, and other installs I have seen..all tie in to the floor lighting. Like I said though, it's all relative and really doesn't matter as they are LED's and the only time they will be on is with the car running, and you can't see them anyways.
Old 10-05-16, 08:47 PM
avs20
Driver

Originally Posted by bestlexus
The installation appears to be more difficult on a 2014 ES350. I have pictures if you want to see them. There are numerous pieces of wire wrapped up. Would guess about 10-15 different ones. So I don't think it's as easy as it sounds. I can send pics on email.
Sent you a pm.
Old 10-06-16, 05:59 PM
gadgetguy1
Driver School Candidate

These look awesome! I'd like to pick up a set for mine. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-06-16, 07:26 PM
onealmistr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you post a picture of the light that you are talking about?

What LED light needs to be connected. Thanks.

Last edited by onealmistr; 10-06-16 at 07:26 PM. Reason: questions.

Quick Reply: Illuminated door sills installed!