GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

A little bad luck with my new-to-me Lexus GS-350

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-16, 12:15 PM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A little bad luck with my new-to-me Lexus GS-350

My bright white 2014 F-Sport may be a magnet. Last Friday waiting in traffic, someone threw something at my car while I was stopped. It hit the driver's rear door and gouged down to the metal but no dent! Amazing as it made a very loud noise. About a 1/2" long gouge. Then this morning driving to work, a Guy in a Ford F-150 was following so close, I could only see the grill in the rearview mirror. Just a few feet from me while doing 60 MPH. Then he passed me on the inside lane, cut in front of me, and slammed on the brakes. The brakes saved me as they are very good. I don't know if the bright white is it as there are lots of white cars on the road.

The good news is my new licence plates arrived so maybe not having the "Lexus Certified" filler plate on the back will help. My old car, in which I still have, has a dash cam. I didn't see a cigarette lighter socket up front on the Lexus but will look some more so I can move it across.
Old 10-03-16, 12:45 PM
TrevorTran
Driver

Received 35 Likes on 23 Posts

there is a 12v outlet inside the center console if you're looking to power your dash cam. You will see the USB ports there too if you ever need to charge your phones etc.
Old 10-03-16, 03:09 PM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about your misfortunes. Glad you are safe, I agree the brakes on the F-Sport are very, very good!
Old 10-03-16, 08:08 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Oh wow! That sucks! Hopefully you won't have to deal with anymore issues.
Old 10-03-16, 08:27 PM
mrpink13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kitra
My bright white 2014 F-Sport may be a magnet. Last Friday waiting in traffic, someone threw something at my car while I was stopped. It hit the driver's rear door and gouged down to the metal but no dent! Amazing as it made a very loud noise. About a 1/2" long gouge. Then this morning driving to work, a Guy in a Ford F-150 was following so close, I could only see the grill in the rearview mirror. Just a few feet from me while doing 60 MPH. Then he passed me on the inside lane, cut in front of me, and slammed on the brakes. The brakes saved me as they are very good. I don't know if the bright white is it as there are lots of white cars on the road.

The good news is my new licence plates arrived so maybe not having the "Lexus Certified" filler plate on the back will help. My old car, in which I still have, has a dash cam. I didn't see a cigarette lighter socket up front on the Lexus but will look some more so I can move it across.
someone just threw something at the car????? must have been a reason. why did the truck maliciously brake check you? the truck must have had somewhere to go. i know the feeling. you sound like one of those oblivious drivers who dont care about others on the road. but i dont know for sure.
Old 10-03-16, 11:05 PM
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 25 Posts

Maybe you should just drive the SAAB....
Old 10-03-16, 11:53 PM
Gen2IS26
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow, sounds like my commute to work every week. I really don't know what it is about these cars that attracts so much hatred.
Old 10-04-16, 06:02 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

And I thought the NY commutes were crazy.. Sorry to hear about your recent issues, hopefully things will calm down for you..
Old 10-04-16, 07:03 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Sucks to hear about that, but you will be alot safer if you move over to the slow lane and let people go by, doing 60 in the fast lane is pretty slow and not courteous to other drivers. If someone did throw something at you, and it wasn't just something that came off of someones tires, you really pissed someone off, maybe you cut them off or drove really slowly or played on your cellphone - all these things can cause people to snap, especially when they are late for work.
Old 10-04-16, 07:15 AM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by GregCanada
Sucks to hear about that, but you will be alot safer if you move over to the slow lane and let people go by, doing 60 in the fast lane is pretty slow and not courteous to other drivers. If someone did throw something at you, and it wasn't just something that came off of someones tires, you really pissed someone off, maybe you cut them off or drove really slowly or played on your cellphone - all these things can cause people to snap, especially when they are late for work.
Greg, although I agree the 60MPH in fast lane probably had something to do with it, we can't use Canadian logic to try to explain anything in the US of A. For all we know, the guy in the F150 could have been in a rush to get to a Trump rally, or perhaps delivering cinder blocks to the Mex border.
Old 10-04-16, 07:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Sorry to hear that kitra, maybe it just means you are getting your bad luck out of the way early.

Oregon still has a lot of 50 mph speed limits, so without knowing the limit in that location, we can't draw many conclusions. The other piece of the puzzle is traffic - the Portland area has terrible traffic. I've been cruising along in traffic at 60 with no ability to go faster and been tailgated and cut off. I could not have went faster if I tried. We also don't know if the OP was just in the passing lane briefly to make a pass, which is well within his/her rights. For that matter, we don't even know if the OP was in the far left lane. He/she could have been in a center lane and been passed on the right.

And as for having something thrown at the car, some people are just rude. Heck, I've been out for a run and had a passing car throw something at me. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to **** them off...
Old 10-04-16, 08:00 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Originally Posted by er34
Greg, although I agree the 60MPH in fast lane probably had something to do with it, we can't use Canadian logic to try to explain anything in the US of A. For all we know, the guy in the F150 could have been in a rush to get to a Trump rally, or perhaps delivering cinder blocks to the Mex border.

Originally Posted by JDR76
Sorry to hear that kitra, maybe it just means you are getting your bad luck out of the way early.

Oregon still has a lot of 50 mph speed limits, so without knowing the limit in that location, we can't draw many conclusions. The other piece of the puzzle is traffic - the Portland area has terrible traffic. I've been cruising along in traffic at 60 with no ability to go faster and been tailgated and cut off. I could not have went faster if I tried. We also don't know if the OP was just in the passing lane briefly to make a pass, which is well within his/her rights. For that matter, we don't even know if the OP was in the far left lane. He/she could have been in a center lane and been passed on the right.

And as for having something thrown at the car, some people are just rude. Heck, I've been out for a run and had a passing car throw something at me. I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to **** them off...
You may have the right to do whatever you want on the roads at whatever speed, but if you see an idiot driving behind you, move out of the way and just let them go unless you want to make it a big deal. Use common sense and logic, which most people do not.
Old 10-04-16, 08:18 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

You may have the right to do whatever you want on the roads at whatever speed, but if you see an idiot driving behind you, move out of the way and just let them go unless you want to make it a big deal. Use common sense and logic, which most people do not.
Er...no, no you do not have the right to do whatever you want on the road at whatever speed. But yes, I agree, best to just move over, and let them go.
Old 10-04-16, 09:30 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Originally Posted by JDR76
Er...no, no you do not have the right to do whatever you want on the road at whatever speed. But yes, I agree, best to just move over, and let them go.
What i meant was, you have the right to sit in the passing lane at the speed limit. Does not mean it's a good idea, or courteous to other drivers. But you do have that right.
Old 10-04-16, 09:34 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

What i meant was, you have the right to sit in the passing lane at the speed limit. Does not mean it's a good idea, or courteous to other drivers. But you do have that right.
Probably depends on location, but at least here (Washington state) you can get a ticket for that.

Quick Reply: A little bad luck with my new-to-me Lexus GS-350