GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

A little bad luck with my new-to-me Lexus GS-350

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-16, 10:48 AM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Which lane to be in?

I totally understand "Slower Traffic Keep Right" but in this case, the commute down Highway 26 Eastbound has 3 lanes. The center lane near the tunnel is "City Center Only". So I needed the center lane. Another thing that happens is people pass all the stalled, waiting traffic in the far left and far right lanes, then cut in where it states "no lane changes" and if the moving string in the center lane is not ready for someone to "stop" to cut in, it's quite a pile of bent metal. A couple of years ago, a Motorcylist was in the center lane in the tunnel. Someone decided to jump from the left lane to the center lane in the tunnel and did so right in front of the Cyclist. It was very bad and I don't know if he survived. I was a few cars behind that event.

Far as my Lexus, I'm really liking the car. Now that I have plates, I think things will normalize. I wish I would have known more about it when purchasing as the Salesman says it was fully loaded but it isn't. The "Luxury" package would have been nice. I have the F-Sport package, the Cold weather package, Navigation, and lit Lexus badges for door sills. Still a nicely equipped car. No ML sound but the stock system sounds fine to me.
Old 10-04-16, 10:55 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

^^ I know exactly where you are referring to, and even wondered if that was where this happened. That's a crazy, difficult stretch of 26, especially at commute time.

Hopefully now you can enjoy that GS.
Old 10-04-16, 11:14 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I don't know about Oregon but in California, throwing an object at a moving vehicle is a felony.

Get a dash cam to help you if a future incident becomes more than an annoyance.
Old 10-04-16, 12:25 PM
er34
Instructor

Received 256 Likes on 194 Posts

Originally Posted by kitra
Far as my Lexus, I'm really liking the car. Now that I have plates, I think things will normalize..
Just curious, what does having no plates have anything to do with anyone else one the road(besides, cops)? Why do you see it as provocative to other drivers?

Here in Canada, we are required to have plates both front and back, but I've driven in many states and often notice cars either without front plate, or without any plates. But I don't think much of it, and I certainly wouldn't think it would be a cause for aggression.
Old 10-04-16, 02:30 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Plates

I had the temporary registration in the back window. Where the license plates go, I had advertising plastic panels that said "Certified Lexus Pre-owned, Portland Lexus". I think it just made my car stand out to those who are inherently bad people and want to damage someone's new property. So now that I have Oregon plates on, I'll probably be just fine. Hoping so at least.
Old 10-04-16, 03:29 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I had the temporary registration in the back window. Where the license plates go, I had advertising plastic panels that said "Certified Lexus Pre-owned, Portland Lexus". I think it just made my car stand out to those who are inherently bad people and want to damage someone's new property. So now that I have Oregon plates on, I'll probably be just fine. Hoping so at least.
I have to agree. When jealous people see someone's nice new toy they just can't help themselves. So not having plates does draw attention and I've experienced it before just not anywhere near what you have.
Old 10-04-16, 05:05 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Looking good.....

Been doing good with the plates on the car. It's also kind of grimy from the rains and splash so I'm just another car on the road. Except for all the idiots texting/sexting and driving. But that's only OK if they take only themselves out which often isn't the case.
Old 10-21-16, 08:13 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Comments are ????

I was actually going too fast, but keeping in pace with the traffic. There are 3 lanes, I was in the center lane. The center lane is an exit only so it's the lane I needed - City Center. I really think the events were the fact I had this flashy used car with Lexus Plates. A guy at the parking garage has a brand new Porsche. He plates say Niello Porsche. Someone threw a rock out their window at his car. What is wrong with people? At least he got it on camera.
Old 10-22-16, 06:11 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you think changing the license plates is going to cure your problems, I think you should look in a different direction. People in a hurry have a short fuse when someone is holding up traffic for whatever reason. According to our instructor in a Defensive Driving Class (speeding ticket) Road Rage is one of the leading causes of accidents involving collisions. Move over to the slow lane and let the psychotic types pass you by on the outside. It will make your day a lot more pleasant.
Old 10-22-16, 06:29 AM
mrpink13
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjm
If you think changing the license plates is going to cure your problems, I think you should look in a different direction. People in a hurry have a short fuse when someone is holding up traffic for whatever reason. According to our instructor in a Defensive Driving Class (speeding ticket) Road Rage is one of the leading causes of accidents involving collisions. Move over to the slow lane and let the psychotic types pass you by on the outside. It will make your day a lot more pleasant.
not talking about the OP's case but in general and to no one in particular there is ONE LANE. ONE F$#$%KING LANE AND ALL U SLOW GUYS HAVE TO DO IS STAY OUT OF IT. AND USE THE OTHER 2 OR 3 LANES.... THATS IT. THERES MORE LANES FOR YOU IDIOTS ON PHONES TEXTING AND ARGUING WITH YOUR HAG OF A WIFE. some people want a quick lane where people are focused on getting somewhere but more importantly DRIVING AND THE ATTENTION IT REQUIRES TO DO IT PROPERLY. it doesnt even make a difference for the slow guy holding up traffic but no he has to be in the fast lane because hes used to it or he likes it. wtf? kill yourself. same with the slow carpool lane guy. you kill yourself even harder. go slow in another lane its not hard. i swear some stupid *** iidiots see 4 cars pass them up and still hold up the lane. people in general are stupid and inconsiderate. thats why the powers that be control the population so easily.
Old 10-22-16, 06:44 AM
rjm
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpink13
not talking about the OP's case but in general and to no one in particular there is ONE LANE. ONE F$#$%KING LANE AND ALL U SLOW GUYS HAVE TO DO IS STAY OUT OF IT. AND USE THE OTHER 2 OR 3 LANES.... THATS IT. THERES MORE LANES FOR YOU IDIOTS ON PHONES TEXTING AND ARGUING WITH YOUR HAG OF A WIFE. some people want a quick lane where people are focused on getting somewhere but more importantly DRIVING AND THE ATTENTION IT REQUIRES TO DO IT PROPERLY. it doesnt even make a difference for the slow guy holding up traffic but no he has to be in the fast lane because hes used to it or he likes it. wtf? kill yourself. same with the slow carpool lane guy. you kill yourself even harder. go slow in another lane its not hard. i swear some stupid *** iidiots see 4 cars pass them up and still hold up the lane. people in general are stupid and inconsiderate. thats why the powers that be control the population so easily.
So how do you really feel?
Attached Thumbnails A little bad luck with my new-to-me Lexus GS-350-img_0440.jpg  
Old 10-22-16, 07:10 AM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I love watching the impatient drivers acting a fool, flashing their lights, honking their honk, swerving in and out of traffic. Love it even more when you can wave as you pass them when they have gotten in the slow lane or even better when they've been pulled over by the police.
Old 10-22-16, 11:23 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

Yeah, sometimes all that weaving in and out of traffic and they are still next to you miles later.

Ed
Old 10-22-16, 11:48 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I was actually going too fast, but keeping in pace with the traffic. There are 3 lanes, I was in the center lane. The center lane is an exit only so it's the lane I needed - City Center. I really think the events were the fact I had this flashy used car with Lexus Plates. A guy at the parking garage has a brand new Porsche. He plates say Niello Porsche. Someone threw a rock out their window at his car. What is wrong with people? At least he got it on camera.
It's just an indication of where this society is headed. People used to look at those driving nice cars and aspire to that... Now, its viewed as some kind of micro aggression and method of shaming when the reality is we're not really paying attention to them let alone whatever they're driving.
Old 10-23-16, 12:04 AM
murdoc
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You shouldn't be in the left lane at all if you are doing the speed limit or below. That's a "passing" lane. Travelling the speed limit in the left/fast lane is just causing unnecessary congestion. Like JDR said, some states, if not most, you can get ticketed for that. I think it was AZ and/or TX that had postings for it being just a passing lane, which I thought was awesome. Driving through the 2 lane highway through the empty plains was nice and smooth (in the city was a different story lol). Way different from the drive to/from Vegas, so many feel entitled to the left lane going the same pace or slower than the right lane. Gahhh... get so annoyed. hahaha /rant

Quick Reply: A little bad luck with my new-to-me Lexus GS-350