GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Is this normal? Question about sunroof/shade

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-16, 10:28 AM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Is this normal? Question about sunroof/shade

The other day i was travelling on the freeway at about 75-80 MPH. I had opened the sunroof all the way back prior to merging on the highway. I closed the sunroof, but left the shade open.

There was a tremendous amount of wind noise entering the vehicle. So much that I put my finger under all four window buttons to make sure they were all fully closed, which they were. I then realized the sunroof shade was open. I decided to close it all the way, and voila, no wind noise entering the car at all.

Is this normal to have? I've never had a car where the sunroof shade being open allowed for air or outside noise to come in.

To clarify: When i say sunshade, i am NOT talking about the rear automatic sunshade. I am talking about the sunroof cover.
Old 09-27-16, 10:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I have not experienced that in mine. No difference in noise with the sunshade open or closed. Very quiet.
Old 09-27-16, 10:50 AM
atrac7
Driver

JDR76, thank you for confirming. I hope others chime in too with the same response so that I can chalk this up as an isolated problem for me. I also hope this is something covered by the warranty by Lexus. I think there may be something off with those black, accordion looking rubber seals that are seated in the rails/tracks of the sunroof.
Old 09-27-16, 11:13 AM
Tcagle
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not an issue for me either. Could you push up on the glass to see if the noise stops?
Old 09-27-16, 11:39 AM
nerv81
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had this issue when I got my CPO GS. Took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the moon roof under warranty and now it's quiet. Def take it to the dealer. Just check everything around the moon roof after. When they did mine, the tech got some grease on my headliner so I talked to the service adviser. They let me schedule an appointment to have my whole interior detailed for free so worked out in my favor.
Old 09-27-16, 12:50 PM
mryeh17
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

My 2013 definitely is louder when the sunshade is open than when it is closed. Sounds like a moonroof adjustment is needed although I'm out of warranty now so maybe I'll just turn up the radio!
Old 09-27-16, 01:38 PM
atrac7
Driver

Originally Posted by nerv81
I had this issue when I got my CPO GS. Took it back to the dealer and they adjusted the moon roof under warranty and now it's quiet. Def take it to the dealer. Just check everything around the moon roof after. When they did mine, the tech got some grease on my headliner so I talked to the service adviser. They let me schedule an appointment to have my whole interior detailed for free so worked out in my favor.
My 2013 is not a CPO...however, i only have 36k miles on it. I should be still qualified under the original factory warranty (under 50k, and 4 years not up yet), correct?

Thank you for your input!
Old 09-27-16, 01:45 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7
My 2013 is not a CPO...however, i only have 36k miles on it. I should be still qualified under the original factory warranty (under 50k, and 4 years not up yet), correct?

Thank you for your input!
Doesn't matter if your CPO or not as long as you're under the four year 50,000 miles you qualify to have that repaired at any Lexus dealership. Mine isn't that loud but when the shade is open I do hear more road noise so I just keep mine closed.
Old 09-27-16, 01:56 PM
viperr
Intermediate

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Bought my 2013 GS as CPO also. I had a sunroof rattle. Got that fixed at the dealer. After that, I did notice more wind noise when the shade is open (before it was quiet, but with a rattle). In my case, it was a trade off to get rid of the sunroof rattle and accept some wind noise only when the shade is open (being closed there is no wind noise). I did notice some very minor finger print spots (only if you look very closely) around the headliner sunroof area so I do not want the dealer to be adjusting the sunroof area anymore.
Old 09-27-16, 02:01 PM
jdigga99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JDR76
I have not experienced that in mine. No difference in noise with the sunshade open or closed. Very quiet.
Yeah what he said ^^
Old 09-27-16, 03:18 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I don't know, I have always felt that my GS (and previous sedans) were quieter with the sunshade closed.
Old 09-27-16, 06:55 PM
faifai83
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts

My MY'13 is also quieter w/ the sunshade closed.
Old 09-27-16, 07:29 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

My '14 is quieter with the sunshade closed. I've also noticed this on a couple others I test drove during the purchase process.

To me it's not a big deal, I might ask my SA about it at the next service, but it would be nice to have it quieted a bit.
Old 09-27-16, 08:08 PM
mehran888
Advanced

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

I've had rattle and knocking issues with my sunroof. On top of that, definitely hear wind noise with the sun shade open. Bought the car new in 2012 and after about 3 years of back and forth, and it gradually getting worse they fixed the rattle and knocking issues (the first fix a year prior didn't hold). I still get the wind noise but tbh I drive with the shade closed most of the time.

Aside from that, and small rattles in the door trim... My car has been flawless.

But the first two years were frustrating as heck, with me changing dealerships twice and having corporate borrow and inspect the car, unable to replicate the issue until it got really bad (it worsened with time).

Still love Lexus. Will never buy a car in its first model year ever again though.
Old 09-27-16, 09:57 PM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by faifai83
My MY'13 is also quieter w/ the sunshade closed.
Same here. I just tested on my way home on the freeway.

Quick Reply: Is this normal? Question about sunroof/shade