GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Lexus Enform service free??

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-16, 08:30 AM
songoku
Intermediate

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Lexus Enform service free??

I've recently purchased 2014 GS350 about a couple of weeks ago.

As I was going thru all the features on the car when I bought it, I noticed that some of Apps need a subscription(traffic, weather, Fuel price, Sport, etc).

Message was showing that the service needs XM subscription.

But last night was going on the freeway, I noticed that my Navi showing all the traffic hazard on the freeway.

And I noticed that all the Apps working now (Fuel Price, Sport, Weather).

I did downloaded Enform app on my phone about a week ago, but I don't remember signing up any subscription.

Is this free service???

Old 09-17-16, 09:49 AM
Biggu
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I bet the place you got your GS signed you up for the sirius XM trial.
Old 09-17-16, 10:39 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

XM called me after a week or so. Don't let the push the max price deal on you. I think Jim paying $5/month for six months on promotion. Fully intent on making sure that it stays that way.

Enform has tiers. Best way to find out is hit the SOS button and talk to the operator. They can tell you if the vin is covered. They can even start your account for you if not.
Old 09-17-16, 04:45 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I bought my GS from a non-lexus dealership and I noticed the XM was active. I thought the last last owner left it active. But then I got some mail from XM about the service. I was racking my mind about how they knew where to send the mailer... I didn't think the dealership had anything to do with it. Then after researching I realized one of the first things I did was sign up/register my vehicle on Lexus drivers website. Thats where they tracked me down from...LOL. Im still on a trial but I think I'm going to do the the 6 months for $30 deal. I wonder if it comes with internet access as well?
Old 09-17-16, 07:42 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Nah, no Internet access and yes, the services are tiered.

There's tier 1 with the xm subscription that gives you traffic, sports data, gas prices, and stocks. I think they refer to this as data only.

Tier 2 gives you the radio subscription in addition to the data. May include a limited set of channels.

Tier 3 is full blown, all data and channels, and this is the trial new buyers get out of the gate.

From time to time they'll also run promotions where some stations will suddenly be unlocked and data will too. This is them reminding you what you're missing out on. Like another poster said, don't just call up and say go for it. Haggle and DO NOT let it auto renew. Their auto renewal rates are criminally high.

As if this isn't complicated enough there's also a sweet Lexus provided service that does a lot for you at the touch of a button but it's about 250 annually. You hit a button, it calls a real person that speaks your language and they'll help you find destinations then send it to your nav system, help you find restaurants and stuff and make reservations for you. This includes hotel bookings also. I used it for fun the first few months I had it and if I traveled more I would probably renew it. I bet you could talk Lexus into letting you trial it since you're a new owner.
Old 09-18-16, 07:37 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 214 Likes on 146 Posts

I thought traffic data came through the HD radio feed...
Old 09-18-16, 07:48 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by jtrue28
I thought traffic data came through the HD radio feed...
They started the HD service in the 2015 vehicles and up
Old 09-18-16, 09:37 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by teezee1000
They started the HD service in the 2015 vehicles and up
XM sounds crystal through ML. The GS has a HD radio function which seems to grab only if the station emits in HD (takes a minute sometimes).

When I was "negotiating" with XM folks about plan cost they said if he losing the live stream by not paying $100/6 months plan. Pfft, they can keep it for that much.
Old 09-18-16, 09:48 AM
KJD3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Sirius just renewed about 2 weeks ago for $230/yr for the mostly music subscription. I called to cancel and get a refund and got them down to $25 for 5 months. Just tell them you're going to pandora one. They'll try to work with you to get you to stay.
Old 09-18-16, 10:07 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MustangSal
XM sounds crystal through ML. The GS has a HD radio function which seems to grab only if the station emits in HD (takes a minute sometimes).

When I was "negotiating" with XM folks about plan cost they said if he losing the live stream by not paying $100/6 months plan. Pfft, they can keep it for that much.
The HD Service I was talking about is the Weather/Traffic stream for built in apps.
Old 09-19-16, 10:06 AM
songoku
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Nah, no Internet access and yes, the services are tiered.

There's tier 1 with the xm subscription that gives you traffic, sports data, gas prices, and stocks. I think they refer to this as data only.

Tier 2 gives you the radio subscription in addition to the data. May include a limited set of channels.

Tier 3 is full blown, all data and channels, and this is the trial new buyers get out of the gate.

From time to time they'll also run promotions where some stations will suddenly be unlocked and data will too. This is them reminding you what you're missing out on. Like another poster said, don't just call up and say go for it. Haggle and DO NOT let it auto renew. Their auto renewal rates are criminally high.

As if this isn't complicated enough there's also a sweet Lexus provided service that does a lot for you at the touch of a button but it's about 250 annually. You hit a button, it calls a real person that speaks your language and they'll help you find destinations then send it to your nav system, help you find restaurants and stuff and make reservations for you. This includes hotel bookings also. I used it for fun the first few months I had it and if I traveled more I would probably renew it. I bet you could talk Lexus into letting you trial it since you're a new owner.
I don't have XM radio subscribed, but I do get traffic, weather, gas, stock, sports.

Looks like it's tier 1???

I called Lexus Enform and they said my car is not subscribed and suggested to call the dealer where I purchased the car.

I called the dealer and saleman said that it comes with the vehicle and it's free service.

I am bit of confused here.

Old 09-19-16, 10:21 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by songoku
I don't have XM radio subscribed, but I do get traffic, weather, gas, stock, sports.

Looks like it's tier 1???

I called Lexus Enform and they said my car is not subscribed and suggested to call the dealer where I purchased the car.

I called the dealer and saleman said that it comes with the vehicle and it's free service.

Ok on my 2015, I know the Traffic and weather stream comes from the HD data stream (Im assuming the 2013-14 GS's are coming from the XM radio) the Gas, Stock and Sports are part of the enform package (receive data from the BT/Data connection from your phone.
Old 09-19-16, 02:03 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

You have a 2014 yes? They didn't switch to HD Radio for traffic data until 2015 I think. Maybe they did start in '14, I forget. Maybe you'll get lucky and a fellow '14 owner will chime in.

Enform and all these different data sources are not the same thing, in fact, it's kind of a mess. What Enform represents is an umbrella with things under it that have changed. Some of those things are XM, some have moved from XM to HD Radio, some use your phone via the Enform app. I can barely describe it as it has shape shifted alot over the last 3 years. All I know for sure is what my '13 does and how it does it.
Old 09-19-16, 02:26 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by songoku

When I purchased my 2015, the dealer basically said that as much as they'd like to be able to secure a year of Enform for me at the rate of "free" it was a feature only allowed to be worked in on brand new sales. They made room for the fee by giving me some money back on another fee to where I could use it to purchase my own subscription to Enform.

XM is a separate feature that you have to purchase.

The traffic and other intricacies I'm not completely sure about but I believe it's part of the vehicle services offered through Enform.
Old 09-19-16, 04:58 PM
songoku
Intermediate

I guess I'll just have to wait and see.

Is there any 2014 GS owner confirm if the traffic/weather is thru via XM or HD radio?

One thing for sure for me is my XM radio is not subscribed.

Quick Reply: Lexus Enform service free??