GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

How to make the ride better?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-16, 12:22 PM
onealmistr
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to make the ride better?

I have a GS 350 Luxury Edition 2013 AWD.

I have installed the Tanabe Strut Bar.

I would like to do other mods that make a difference in the ride. I used to own a fully modded G35 two-door (which I still love).

What can I do to make the ride better? Please provide suggestion. I am looking into RIM and BBK, but cannot make the car into rice rocket, since I am a professional.

Thanks.
Old 09-15-16, 12:29 PM
atrac7
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like you're talking strictly performance handling....rather than comfort?

The AWD model, from what I hear, is at the most disadvantage in terms of successfully converting it into a tighter performance vehicle. Any reason why you didn't look into an F-Sport model to begin with?

I also lol-ed at the rice rocket comment. Do many people even go that route with the GS350?!!
Old 09-15-16, 12:38 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

tires make a big difference.
Old 09-15-16, 07:52 PM
GXGSAm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
What does "better" mean?
Yeah, what do you mean you're looking for a "better ride" on the 13GS350AWD? I have one and this version has the best "ride comfort" of any 4th Gen GS ever made!

I bet you want a jarring ride like your Nissan huh, try 22" wheels!
Old 09-15-16, 08:48 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I've seen professionals drive rice rockets before. Just saying.
Old 09-16-16, 07:19 AM
joedaddy1
Racer

Received 177 Likes on 138 Posts

your GS will almost never handle better than your older G35..you have 500 more pounds to work with one a bigger car that seats higher.

The RWD maybe stands a chance.. I know I had a G35 just before this car..

Old 09-16-16, 10:21 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Tires and possibly springs. Lot of my customers say that Swift Springs improve their ride..

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-16-16, 11:09 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Sorry but you have a GS. Not ES. Not LS. It's not a grocery getter. Talking more nimble, more performance. I expect the ride to be more connected to the asphalt and if that involves "feeling" a little more ( a lot on sport+) than that is what I believe it should. If you wanted a floater or something with a nicer...sorry "better" ride, why did you get a GS? Did you test drive it?

For all the trouble of getting more rims, tires, or trading up the suspension and shocks, just go get a Lincoln town car.
Old 09-16-16, 12:25 PM
atrac7
Driver

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Sorry but you have a GS. Not ES. Not LS. It's not a grocery getter. Talking more nimble, more performance. I expect the ride to be more connected to the asphalt and if that involves "feeling" a little more ( a lot on sport+) than that is what I believe it should. If you wanted a floater or something with a nicer...sorry "better" ride, why did you get a GS? Did you test drive it?

For all the trouble of getting more rims, tires, or trading up the suspension and shocks, just go get a Lincoln town car.
Agreed, but judging by OP's context in his post, I believe he isn't targeting comfort. His goals seem to be sharper handling/tighter feel. I also agree that "better ride" is a misleading title since it does imply comfort over performance.
Old 09-16-16, 12:35 PM
atrac7
Driver

OP or anyone else who can chime in:

is the Tanabe strut bar worth it? Did you notice any difference?

One of my big gripes with my GS350 is this: I am sitting still in traffic, low speeds such as 0-10mph. I would like to change lanes: peek at my side mirrors for the blind check, and commit to making a sharp lane change turn. When i do this, the car's "steering input" and feel just seems to be...lethargic. Coming from Acura, i remember that turn feel at low speeds was immediate. The car seems to have a delayed feel in these situations.
Old 09-17-16, 02:04 AM
SlwDrvr
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I am running BC racing coilovers and megan front and rear sways. I have my dampening on pretty stiff, with the sways the ride just got even stiffer. Handling feels A LOT better. 2015 RWD F-SPORT here
Old 09-17-16, 07:47 AM
Bartman619
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SlwDrvr
I am running BC racing coilovers and megan front and rear sways. I have my dampening on pretty stiff, with the sways the ride just got even stiffer. Handling feels A LOT better. 2015 RWD F-SPORT here
Megan makes sway bars for 2015 GS350 F Sport ?
Old 09-17-16, 07:54 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by atrac7

One of my big gripes with my GS350 is this: I am sitting still in traffic, low speeds such as 0-10mph. I would like to change lanes: peek at my side mirrors for the blind check, and commit to making a sharp lane change turn. When i do this, the car's "steering input" and feel just seems to be...lethargic. Coming from Acura, i remember that turn feel at low speeds was immediate. The car seems to have a delayed feel in these situations.
Sport+ may help here, Sport definitely will. The sharp and fast turning your Acura had at low speeds can be attributed to an overboosted power steering rack that most FWD cars have to overcome the burden of turning tires the engine is pressing straight down on. The quickness of the steering (and the effort required) is partially determined by the rack and partially by the electronics controlling it. Also, a short, fast rack tends to have a giant turning radius which the GS doesn't need help with. My '13 has the rear wheel steering that shaves 4" off the turning radius and it helps a lot.

Systems like the Q50's drive by wire seeks to address this limitation by disconnecting the steering wheel and letting computers do all the work. With this set up, you could have a really sharp car that only requires maybe 2.1 turns lock to lock at lower speeds, then expand that to 2.5 or higher for highway cruising while increasing steering weight. Modes can be flipped through so you can choose on the fly.

Like anything else with engineering, there's always a trade off.
Old 09-17-16, 08:34 PM
richard203
Racer

Received 118 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by SlwDrvr
where u order the sway bar from?
Old 09-19-16, 08:25 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If needing coilovers, please let us know. We sell some of the major brands like BC, Ohlins, KW and more.

Quick Reply: How to make the ride better?