GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Headrests won't adjust back/forth.

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 03:54 PM
kitra
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Headrests won't adjust back/forth.

New here with a 2014 GS 350 AWD F-Sport. Just got the certified car from Lexus last week. Finally started driving it and with several back injuries behind me, I like (have) to sit fairly upright. The Sales department said the headrests are adjustable after I complained but I didn't get a chance to stop by for them to show me. The owner's manual says the headrests can be pushed fore and aft with several detent settings. A Youtube video also shows someone adjusting it. Some have written it could take a lot of force to move it front to back. I cannot make mine adjust, despite what the owner's manual states.

Driving to work today, just 10 miles, my head was being pushed forward bending my neck. When I got to work and got out of the car, I was all kinked up. So this is really bad for me and I'm feeling double the pain because I have pain in the neck and pain in the pocketbook on a car I may not be able to drive? I sure hope there is a viable solution? Some say it has adjustable headrests and others says "no adjustment is possible". I wonder what Lexus headrests are being demonstrated on the Youtube video? I'm figuring this is the place to get the real skiiny on the headrests and any possible options I may have.

I thank all of you in advance.
Old 09-12-16, 04:59 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,993 Likes on 1,416 Posts

If the head restraint is pulled forward from the foremost position, it will return to the rearmost position. In other words, pull the headrest fully toward the front of the car (pull hard) and it will release and return to the most rearward position nearer the rear of the car.

The following users liked this post:
ganyamilo (03-11-21)
Old 09-12-16, 05:21 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Adjustment:

BcLexus, I appreciate the link but have already tried this. I found a picture on the Web of the underside of the adjustable and not-adjustable headrests. The adjustable ones have an long oval cutout in the leather so it will slide back and forth. Mine do not have this. So the saga continues. Page 138 of my GS 350 owners manual shows how to adjust them. My car sat on the dealer's lot for almost 2 months. The thought has crossed my mine that maybe they swapped mine with someone that wanted them OR that the owner's manual is wrong. Again, thanks for your reply. I'm wondering if anyone with a 2014 F Sport package can adjust their headrests.
Old 09-12-16, 05:36 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kitra
BcLexus, I appreciate the link but have already tried this. I found a picture on the Web of the underside of the adjustable and not-adjustable headrests. The adjustable ones have an long oval cutout in the leather so it will slide back and forth. Mine do not have this. So the saga continues. Page 138 of my GS 350 owners manual shows how to adjust them. My car sat on the dealer's lot for almost 2 months. The thought has crossed my mine that maybe they swapped mine with someone that wanted them OR that the owner's manual is wrong. Again, thanks for your reply. I'm wondering if anyone with a 2014 F Sport package can adjust their headrests.
I'm pretty sure that video is a 2014 F-Sport, which was made by member ItzFilyO.
Old 09-12-16, 06:55 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

kitra - Pull the top part of the headrest toward the dash like you're trying to break it off the seat. Don't worry about breaking it - it'll withstand 100 times more force than you could ever apply...
Old 09-12-16, 08:57 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Headrests (cont)

I will have Lexus assist me tomorrow. I have an appointment to see if they will replace the dented inserts on the front doors. The applique over the glove box is also dented so I'm hoping the warranty will cover some/most. I showed them the Technical Bulletin on the door inserts and they were going to check on it.

Hopefully the headrests do adjust. They certainly don't move like the video. The Guy makes it look easy.
Old 09-12-16, 11:35 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I will have Lexus assist me tomorrow. I have an appointment to see if they will replace the dented inserts on the front doors. The applique over the glove box is also dented so I'm hoping the warranty will cover some/most. I showed them the Technical Bulletin on the door inserts and they were going to check on it.

Hopefully the headrests do adjust. They certainly don't move like the video. The Guy makes it look easy.
Give us an update my door trim has dings also and wanna know if the dealers are gonna honor the tsb or not.
Old 09-13-16, 06:21 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Headrest update and F-Sport door trim.

Your assistance here was impeccable. I went to Lexus and the Service Writer did just what "bclexus" told me to do. He pulled very hard on the driver's headrest near the top and it came forward a bit. Then all the way back. OMG - the driving position and comfort is a night and day difference. I am so pleased. Anyway, the instruction here was absolutely correct. I just didn't put enough force into it. A huge thanks again!

They are replacing the damaged inserts on both front door panels caused by the seat belts. This is being covered under warranty per the Technical Bulletin.

I've been driving the GS 350 for mileage. Eco mode, short shifts, etc. The Service Manager said I need to run it hard once in a while to keep carbon buildup under control. I never thought of that but I got on it pretty hard from 5 MPH to 70+ MPH tonight. This car really moves out. And the sound is great. Maybe the optional F-Sport exhaust would be cool or Borla. Thinking?

Last edited by kitra; 09-13-16 at 08:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ganyamilo (03-11-21)
Old 09-13-16, 06:39 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

That's awesome that it worked for you. I was was worried that you had made a huge mistake buying a car like the GS and wouldn't have been able to drive it.

Good to see it all worked out.
Old 09-13-16, 08:35 PM
kitra
Driver

Default Thanks to all

I believe I am really going to enjoy this car. I really like the F Sport suspension and its looks. I was so close to purchasing a BMW 335i or the IS350. I originally went to the Dealer to drive another IS-350 (2015) in Nebula Gray. They wanted $41K which is too rich for me. So I saw this white F Sport GS 350 AWD. Were originally asking $38K but was on lot too long and the 49K miles seemed to hurt its attractiveness to buyers? Got around $7k off their original price. A lot of engineering and workmanship for the money. Thanks for the assistance and listening. This car is for my 60th B' Day coming up soon.
Old 09-14-16, 03:23 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Your assistance here was impeccable. I went to Lexus and the Service Writer did just what "bclexus" told me to do. He pulled very hard on the driver's headrest near the top and it came forward a bit. Then all the way back. OMG - the driving position and comfort is a night and day difference. I am so pleased. Anyway, the instruction here was absolutely correct. I just didn't put enough force into it. A huge thanks again!

They are replacing the damaged inserts on both front door panels caused by the seat belts. This is being covered under warranty per the Technical Bulletin.

I've been driving the GS 350 for mileage. Eco mode, short shifts, etc. The Service Manager said I need to run it hard once in a while to keep carbon buildup under control. I never thought of that but I got on it pretty hard from 5 MPH to 70+ MPH tonight. This car really moves out. And the sound is great. Maybe the optional F-Sport exhaust would be cool or Borla. Thinking?
Happy to know that you got it to work.

Enjoy!
Old 05-21-20, 06:14 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

So I am bringing this thread back from the dead. Like Walking Dead zombies, some things will never die. Have had my 2013 for about a year now, and did not know the headrests adjust forward (or backward). I just thought the "butterfly" ones would do that. I can't wait to try it out, just to try it out. One question, would the butterfly headrests fit in the normal seat backrest? Would it look right? That way, could get the best of both worlds. Do the people who own the "Luxury" seats like the headrests, or just a bunch of fluff about nothing? Thanks.
Old 05-21-20, 06:25 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
So I am bringing this thread back from the dead. Like Walking Dead zombies, some things will never die. Have had my 2013 for about a year now, and did not know the headrests adjust forward (or backward). I just thought the "butterfly" ones would do that. I can't wait to try it out, just to try it out. One question, would the butterfly headrests fit in the normal seat backrest? Would it look right? That way, could get the best of both worlds. Do the people who own the "Luxury" seats like the headrests, or just a bunch of fluff about nothing? Thanks.
the lux headrests do not move back and forth but we can adjust the upper half of the seat to move the headrest where we want. At least mine don’t then again the seats are from an accident car. The lux headrests are more comfortable.
Old 05-21-20, 08:06 AM
Hues10
Advanced

Received 161 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks as always Peasodos. Lexus thinks of everything to make sure if you want to plug and play something as simple as a headrest, you gain one feature, but lose another. I did just check my existing headrest, and yes, it does move! (ever so slightly). I like sitting relatively straight up (no low riding for me), so I do not want my neck being pushed forward as well. I will play with the comfort now between the seat and headrest positions. Just haven't driven much in the past couple of months. I figured I got $17 worth of gas in April. One stop, that was it. Good thing the car looks good as a paperweight
Old 05-21-20, 08:11 AM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by Hues10
Thanks as always Peasodos. Lexus thinks of everything to make sure if you want to plug and play something as simple as a headrest, you gain one feature, but lose another. I did just check my existing headrest, and yes, it does move! (ever so slightly). I like sitting relatively straight up (no low riding for me), so I do not want my neck being pushed forward as well. I will play with the comfort now between the seat and headrest positions. Just haven't driven much in the past couple of months. I figured I got $17 worth of gas in April. One stop, that was it. Good thing the car looks good as a paperweight
I had no problem adjusting the seat/headrest into the perfect position. Basically they moved the headrest forward and backward through the seat backrest. The lux headrests have more cushion to it, base headrests are harder. The butterfly adjustment is nice to cup your head, nice if your taking a nap.

Quick Reply: Headrests won't adjust back/forth.