GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

What Would You Do? (Wheel Repair)

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 12:27 AM
KJD3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Would You Do? (Wheel Repair)

So about a month or so ago I took my 2015 GS350 F-Sport in for the complimentary 10,000 mile service which included rotating my wheels. The weekend after my service I was cleaning the wheels and noticed that both wheels on the drivers side had chips in the paint in the lug nut holes. I figured it was from the service when they rotated my wheels and used a air gun to back the lugs out and they accidentally nicked the paint on the wheel. I was upset but since it was mid day on Saturday I called the dealership and they agreed to fix both wheels.

So I brought the car in and had both wheels touched up and all was well. Then the following weekend while I was washing the car I noticed the same nicks in the passenger side rear wheel. Again, since it was mid day on Saturday I called the dealership and they agreed to repair it. And for the second Monday in a row I dropped my car off to have my wheels repaired and came in to pick my car up on Tuesday. I decided to check all of the wheels again just to make sure, and sure enough my front passenger side had a nick on it in the same exact spot that the passenger side rear had, I remembered where it was in relation to the valve stem and the center cap orientation. So I had my service advisor look at and they agreed, once again, to fix it.

I came in the next day and everything was fine, that was until the next Saturday when I was washing the car. I noticed the drivers side rear felt extremely coarse on two spokes and on the barrel in between the two spokes. After looking at it a little closer I realized it was over spray, assuming it was from the clear coat from when they had repaired the wheel previously. I had planned to wax the wheels anyway so just to make sure I thoroughly cleaned the wheel and clay barred it and was still extremely coarse. So for the third Saturday in a row I called the dealership and made plans to drop it off, on Thursday.

Friday I went in to pick up my car and inspected the wheel and they only took care of the over spray on the face of the spoke and not the sides of the spoke or on the barrel between the two spokes. So I let my service advisor know about it and pointed out the spots to him and he took pictures of the spokes and barrel that needed to be fixed again. I tried to speak with the service manager about it but he was unavailable.

Saturday I come back in to pick up my car and inspected the wheel again and noticed they didn't fix the sides of the spokes and the barrel was still somewhat coarse. In addition to the barrel and part of the spoke now extremely dull compared to the rest of the wheel. (See picture attached, it's the bottom most part of the wheel)

This time I asked to speak with the service manager and at first he couldn't be found. After seeing how aggravated I was getting they decided to call the service manager and he came out. When he came out he had an attitude from the get go. He first came at me and said that he didn't refuse to speak with me the day before and that he didn't appreciate me saying that to the service advisor I was working with that day, which I never said he refused to speak with me, just that I had asked to speak with him yesterday and he wasn't available. Anyway, so I pointed out the issues with the wheel again to him and he said he would have the wheel guy come back out Monday (today) and "slap some clear coat on it".

At this point I'm pretty fed up. It's about a 40 mile round trip to the dealership and I've made the drive to pick up my car twice and they did a **** poor job fixing it, I work nights so getting to the dealership at 10am would be the equivalent to someone on a 9-5 work schedule getting up at midnight to pick up their car, and the service managers attitude towards me was unacceptable.

I had my service advisor pull up my service history and I have 16 service records on file on a car that I bought on June 8, 2015 and only have 9,300mi on it. One of the records was the 10,000mi/1 year service, five records for window tint (which had to be redone 4 times due to bubbles and a fair amount of lent in the tint and still has issues but I got tired of dealing with it), paint protection film installed and fixed due to bubble in the front bumper, one to replace and paint the front bumper due to paint issue before delivery, the other 8 records were wheels repairs, touch up paint on drivers door and door jam (both dealership accused) and those 16 service records were the only ones on file. They don't include when I've come in and wasn't happy about the quality of the repair and had to have it fixed again. It seems like every time I bring my car in for something something else gets mutilated.

What would you do? And is this truly the "Pursuit of Perfection"?
Attached Thumbnails What Would You Do? (Wheel Repair)-photo7.jpg  

Last edited by KJD3; 09-12-16 at 12:35 AM.
Old 09-12-16, 05:21 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Which dealership?
Old 09-12-16, 06:15 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Get above the dealership if you aren't satisfied. I agree that you shouldn't have to accept anything less than perfection on work that is supposed to be perfect. If that particular dealership cannot achieve that, than (1), corporate Lexus should know and (2) they should be doing whatever they can in order to make that happen and potentially compensate you for your inconvenience.

Honestly, kinda surprised you've been dealing with it this long without shooting way above their heads. Obviously, as long as you continue to deal with them at their level, they're willing to try and keep you satisfied.

And the very last thing....stop using the dealer to do things that the professionals outside the dealership should be.
Old 09-12-16, 06:20 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Man that really sucks. I had a similar is with my dealership with my 2015 GS350. They messed up my front shock and told me I had to pay 980 dollars for them to replace one front shock. After months of battling with them, I just said screw it and found an independent shop to fix it for me. I emailed the GM, called corporate, emailed the parent company that owns 200 plus dealership in the Southeast region and got no help.

After running into that many issues with a single dealership, I would go to another one if I were you. The service guys and manager now know your face and already starting to treat you like crap and they will continue to be careless with your car.

Originally Posted by KJD3
So about a month or so ago I took my 2015 GS350 F-Sport in for the complimentary 10,000 mile service which included rotating my wheels. The weekend after my service I was cleaning the wheels and noticed that both wheels on the drivers side had chips in the paint in the lug nut holes. I figured it was from the service when they rotated my wheels and used a air gun to back the lugs out and they accidentally nicked the paint on the wheel. I was upset but since it was mid day on Saturday I called the dealership and they agreed to fix both wheels.

So I brought the car in and had both wheels touched up and all was well. Then the following weekend while I was washing the car I noticed the same nicks in the passenger side rear wheel. Again, since it was mid day on Saturday I called the dealership and they agreed to repair it. And for the second Monday in a row I dropped my car off to have my wheels repaired and came in to pick my car up on Tuesday. I decided to check all of the wheels again just to make sure, and sure enough my front passenger side had a nick on it in the same exact spot that the passenger side rear had, I remembered where it was in relation to the valve stem and the center cap orientation. So I had my service advisor look at and they agreed, once again, to fix it.

I came in the next day and everything was fine, that was until the next Saturday when I was washing the car. I noticed the drivers side rear felt extremely coarse on two spokes and on the barrel in between the two spokes. After looking at it a little closer I realized it was over spray, assuming it was from the clear coat from when they had repaired the wheel previously. I had planned to wax the wheels anyway so just to make sure I thoroughly cleaned the wheel and clay barred it and was still extremely coarse. So for the third Saturday in a row I called the dealership and made plans to drop it off, on Thursday.

Friday I went in to pick up my car and inspected the wheel and they only took care of the over spray on the face of the spoke and not the sides of the spoke or on the barrel between the two spokes. So I let my service advisor know about it and pointed out the spots to him and he took pictures of the spokes and barrel that needed to be fixed again. I tried to speak with the service manager about it but he was unavailable.

Saturday I come back in to pick up my car and inspected the wheel again and noticed they didn't fix the sides of the spokes and the barrel was still somewhat coarse. In addition to the barrel and part of the spoke now extremely dull compared to the rest of the wheel. (See picture attached, it's the bottom most part of the wheel)

This time I asked to speak with the service manager and at first he couldn't be found. After seeing how aggravated I was getting they decided to call the service manager and he came out. When he came out he had an attitude from the get go. He first came at me and said that he didn't refuse to speak with me the day before and that he didn't appreciate me saying that to the service advisor I was working with that day, which I never said he refused to speak with me, just that I had asked to speak with him yesterday and he wasn't available. Anyway, so I pointed out the issues with the wheel again to him and he said he would have the wheel guy come back out Monday (today) and "slap some clear coat on it".

At this point I'm pretty fed up. It's about a 40 mile round trip to the dealership and I've made the drive to pick up my car twice and they did a **** poor job fixing it, I work nights so getting to the dealership at 10am would be the equivalent to someone on a 9-5 work schedule getting up at midnight to pick up their car, and the service managers attitude towards me was unacceptable.

I had my service advisor pull up my service history and I have 16 service records on file on a car that I bought on June 8, 2015 and only have 9,300mi on it. One of the records was the 10,000mi/1 year service, five records for window tint (which had to be redone 4 times due to bubbles and a fair amount of lent in the tint and still has issues but I got tired of dealing with it), paint protection film installed and fixed due to bubble in the front bumper, one to replace and paint the front bumper due to paint issue before delivery, the other 8 records were wheels repairs, touch up paint on drivers door and door jam (both dealership accused) and those 16 service records were the only ones on file. They don't include when I've come in and wasn't happy about the quality of the repair and had to have it fixed again. It seems like every time I bring my car in for something something else gets mutilated.

What would you do? And is this truly the "Pursuit of Perfection"?
Old 09-12-16, 08:30 AM
madrussian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pqn628
After running into that many issues with a single dealership, I would go to another one if I were you. The service guys and manager now know your face and already starting to treat you like crap and they will continue to be careless with your car.
Completely agree with this here. Find somewhere else, anywhere at this point is better.
Old 09-12-16, 09:50 AM
RA051823
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

This is exactly why I service my own vehicle. Man that's sad you can't even bring your car in without some type of damage happening. The mechanics are flat rate and usually work as fast as they can so care seems to go out the window for them. As other posters have said, I wouldn't bring the car back to them as you have probably been marked.
Old 09-12-16, 10:52 AM
KJD3
Driver

Originally Posted by jtrue28
Which dealership?
The Lexus Store of Lexington off New Circle Rd

Originally Posted by MustangSal
Get above the dealership if you aren't satisfied. I agree that you shouldn't have to accept anything less than perfection on work that is supposed to be perfect. If that particular dealership cannot achieve that, than (1), corporate Lexus should know and (2) they should be doing whatever they can in order to make that happen and potentially compensate you for your inconvenience.

Honestly, kinda surprised you've been dealing with it this long without shooting way above their heads. Obviously, as long as you continue to deal with them at their level, they're willing to try and keep you satisfied.

And the very last thing....stop using the dealer to do things that the professionals outside the dealership should be.
I called Lexus corporate on Saturday and a case manager is suppose to get back with me Tuesday. They lady I spoke with said something about going to mediation with the dealership over all of the damages (albeit minor stuff) and wasted time in dealing with this crap.

Originally Posted by pqn628
Man that really sucks. I had a similar is with my dealership with my 2015 GS350. They messed up my front shock and told me I had to pay 980 dollars for them to replace one front shock. After months of battling with them, I just said screw it and found an independent shop to fix it for me. I emailed the GM, called corporate, emailed the parent company that owns 200 plus dealership in the Southeast region and got no help.

If I had another dealer closer I definitely would go to them. The two closest ones are Louisville (62 miles away) and Cincinnati (89 miles away). Plus I'm not going to put issues caused by one dealership onto another dealership and expect them to make it right, especially if it wasn't a warranty item.

Originally Posted by dan87951
This is exactly why I service my own vehicle. Man that's sad you can't even bring your car in without some type of damage happening. The mechanics are flat rate and usually work as fast as they can so care seems to go out the window for them. As other posters have said, I wouldn't bring the car back to them as you have probably been marked.
Yeah, I had only planned on the complimentary being my only service done by the dealer, and do what I can myself and whatever I can't do myself if use a independent shop.
Old 09-13-16, 08:46 AM
homeboyv
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If I were you, I would find a reputable place near you and have the wheels painted flat black and be done with it. Your car is white so it will look really good. It cost me $200 per wheel and they came out perfect. They fixed some curb rash and some bends that I had in the wheels as well as put on new tires that I brought to them with the car. Ya it will cost you $800 but you will love it and be done with this nonsense and can move on.
Old 09-13-16, 09:58 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by KJD3
The Lexus Store of Lexington off New Circle Rd
They're bad about also adding on "dealer recommended" service items as well. When I take my vehicles there, I tell them to ONLY do Lexus recommended service items for each interval. Oh, and I make sure to tell them to NOT wash my vehicle.
Old 09-13-16, 10:56 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

They're bad about also adding on "dealer recommended" service items as well. When I take my vehicles there, I tell them to ONLY do Lexus recommended service items for each interval. Oh, and I make sure to tell them to NOT wash my vehicle.
Telling them not to wash vehicle didn't work for me on one visit. A sheet of paper inside the car on the dash written in a Sharpie is what I do.
Old 09-13-16, 01:46 PM
KJD3
Driver

Originally Posted by homeboyv
If I were you, I would find a reputable place near you and have the wheels painted flat black and be done with it. Your car is white so it will look really good. It cost me $200 per wheel and they came out perfect. They fixed some curb rash and some bends that I had in the wheels as well as put on new tires that I brought to them with the car. Ya it will cost you $800 but you will love it and be done with this nonsense and can move on.
I really like the gun metal over black. But I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future.

I work with Dave on all of my service items. He knows not to wash my car. I made sure the first time I brought my car in to have the windows tinted to put in all capital letters on my profile do not wash vehicle. And then I remind him every time not to wash it before I take a loaner out. He's also really good about parking my car in the drop off bay right across from his office every time I drop it off. All it took was for me to get pissed when I found out that they left my car outside with the keys in it over night to have them start parking it inside. It's actually still in the bay right now as we speak, 5 days for one wheel repair...
Old 09-14-16, 05:10 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Yeah, Dave is my go to guy as well.
Old 09-15-16, 01:06 PM
Mike_1GO
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts

to a certain extent, if you want something done right, do it yourself. I used to work at a Lexus dealership..it all depends on the "technician" and how careful or unfortunately in your case how careless they are. More often than not customers don't notice the smaller details and things go unnoticed. Its always a gamble. I would contact corporate, file a complaint and demand compensation. Its for reasons like this i service my car myself. And avoid any automatic car wash.
Old 09-16-16, 01:35 PM
KJD3
Driver

So here's an update. I received a call that my car was ready for pick up and that "it was as good as it's going to get" (see attached pictures). When I got to the dealership I took a look at the wheel and it looked horrible. I told my service advisor I still wasn't happy with it, of course he claimed to notice nothing wrong with the wheel. So he went to talk to the service manager, who still didn't want to come out to speak with me. My service advisor came back and said that I have three options. 1. Take it as is and be done with it 2. Take it as is and receive a $200 service credit or 3. They'll order a new wheel and replace the old one. Obviously number three was a no brainier.

When I got to work after picking up the car I noticed that there was no paint whatsoever on he corners of the spoke in the picture. So I was a little disappointed that this was their definition of "as good as it's going to get".

Still working with corporate in regards to continuing issues I've been having with the dealership.

Originally Posted by Mike_1GO
to a certain extent, if you want something done right, do it yourself. I used to work at a Lexus dealership..it all depends on the "technician" and how careful or unfortunately in your case how careless they are. More often than not customers don't notice the smaller details and things go unnoticed. Its always a gamble. I would contact corporate, file a complaint and demand compensation. Its for reasons like this i service my car myself. And avoid any automatic car wash.
Unfortunately I've learned that the quick service jobs like oil changes and tire rotation are jobs that are done as quickly as possible to get cars in and out as quick as possible, therefore the quality of the job suffers. I'll be doing my own services from here on out, unless it's something I can't do myself then I'll have a independent shop do it.
Attached Thumbnails What Would You Do? (Wheel Repair)-photo171.jpg   What Would You Do? (Wheel Repair)-photo382.jpg  
Old 09-16-16, 02:56 PM
GXGSAm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately, wheels are bound to get the most abrasions and scratches - tire rotations, brake inspections, pad/rotor replacements, and car detailing will eventually puts some blemish to those pristine wheels. In my experience having owned 25 vehicles in my 35 years of driving, once I see the very first sign of superficial defect on my wheels, I stop caring, even if the wheels get more after that, as long as the wheels are perfectly round, no cracks, and balanced fine. I stopped complaining about littlelest things regarding car service because people look at me in a weird way.