GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

GS feels a bit heavy and ponderous?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-16, 08:51 AM
michael888
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GS feels a bit heavy and ponderous?

My 2013 GS350 feels a bit ponderous and heavy, when I hit the gas pedal it doesn't feel like its in any hurry as one of the reviews mentioned. My other car which is a 4cyl Nissan Altima feels more nimble ? Is this normal?
Old 09-06-16, 09:26 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah it's normal. There's a lot of power on tap and it doesn't want you dumping it to the pavement all at once from a green light. I keep mine in Sport all the time and switch to Sport+ when necessary.

Try this if you have Sport+. At a stop sign, hold down the traction control button for at least ten seconds. No less. You'll see a warning icon appear and stay lit on the dash. Now floor it. If it doesn't spin the tires something is wrong.

Keep in mind your altima was alot lighter with less mass up front also. It's not going to feel like a 4 cylinder fwd car. But the GS isn't slow, it's just tuned to be relaxed.
Old 09-06-16, 10:07 AM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The GS is soft off the line, but will pick up greatly after 3500 RPMs. You don't say what 4GS you have. Is it base, F Sport, Lux, RWD, AWD?
Old 09-06-16, 10:41 AM
michael888
Driver School Candidate

Its GS 350 RWD..
Old 09-06-16, 12:19 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

I feel like that tends to be the characteristic of RWD cars. It's a push (RWD) feeling which doesn't feel as urgent as a pull feeling (FWD). In my experience of FWD Lexus, it feels quicker because of a noticeable squat when hitting the gas, which makes it seem quicker but it is not. It'll just take some getting use to.
Old 09-06-16, 01:06 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
Yeah it's normal. There's a lot of power on tap and it doesn't want you dumping it to the pavement all at once from a green light. I keep mine in Sport all the time and switch to Sport+ when necessary.

Try this if you have Sport+. At a stop sign, hold down the traction control button for at least ten seconds. No less. You'll see a warning icon appear and stay lit on the dash. Now floor it. If it doesn't spin the tires something is wrong.

Keep in mind your altima was alot lighter with less mass up front also. It's not going to feel like a 4 cylinder fwd car. But the GS isn't slow, it's just tuned to be relaxed.
I tried turning off the traction control and flooring it during my lunch hour, wheels spinned a little bit, but I was expecting a screech down the street...
Old 09-06-16, 01:08 PM
madrussian
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its the Pull (FWD) vs the Push (RWD) power delivery.
Old 09-06-16, 01:30 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by teezee1000
I tried turning off the traction control and flooring it during my lunch hour, wheels spinned a little bit, but I was expecting a screech down the street...
The wheels should have spun alot if you did it right. If you don't hold the button long enough, it'll be temporary and it'll re-engage as soon as the tires spin for a second or two.
Old 09-06-16, 02:01 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
The wheels should have spun alot if you did it right. If you don't hold the button long enough, it'll be temporary and it'll re-engage as soon as the tires spin for a second or two.
Ok, ill try it again on my way home, I held down the button but it just said TRAC OFF and the symbol turned on. No warning came up.
Old 09-06-16, 02:56 PM
michael888
Driver School Candidate

Its better suited for open roads in stop and go traffic it feels too ponderous got me..

Or should I use sports or sports s+ in traffic?

Last edited by michael888; 09-06-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 09-06-16, 08:05 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I appreciate that the GS is more tuned to be a daily driver. I've driven 'jumpy' cars in stop & go traffic and it gets old real quick, especially in the rain, where my foot needs to race to the brake pedal.

How much rubber you'll lay down when you try to is a function of many things. The 10-second hold down (at a complete stop, don't recall if tranny needs to be in 'P') will disable traction and ESC. To spin tires, in theory all you need to do is press is once to disable traction control. Might as well put it in S+ and manual shifting mode. Either way, what tires you have, condition of pavement, temperature, etc. will affect how much spin you get. So we can't all compare burnout distance from across the country with different cars. And turn off "Snow" mode.

There's a reason RWD is making a come-back coincident with significant advancement in traction control and ESC. It's fun, but most people benefit from some nannies.

And while the existence of a WOT mode switch under the gas pedal is debated a bit, might as well ensure you press fully & hard just in case.
Old 09-06-16, 08:31 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Maybe it's just perception, but one of the things I love about my GS is how it seems to shrink around me when I drive it. It always feels smaller to me than its actual size.
Old 09-06-16, 08:41 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

About to say, if it doesn't give you enough smoke off the line, of course turn off the traction control, left foot on brake, right foot on gas. Hold the brakes to where the car is barely being held in place while your right foot is on the gas, bam, huge smoke show.

Not really good for your car though, eats up the rear brake pads and is hard on the driveline(I have no idea how robust these cars are, some old muscle cars you could beat on them all day like that without breaking them).
Old 09-06-16, 08:56 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
About to say, if it doesn't give you enough smoke off the line, of course turn off the traction control, left foot on brake, right foot on gas. Hold the brakes to where the car is barely being held in place while your right foot is on the gas, bam, huge smoke show.

Not really good for your car though, eats up the rear brake pads and is hard on the driveline(I have no idea how robust these cars are, some old muscle cars you could beat on them all day like that without breaking them).
Ha, I don't know how bulletproof these drivetrains are, but I see no value in abusing my lovely ride as such. I know some unhappy owners of S2000's who ended up with so-called "drivetrain soup" when trying burnouts, though a manual & automatic are very different, independent of brand/model/etc.
Old 09-07-16, 05:48 AM
mrpink13
Rookie

i have to feather the pedal so it doesnt surge forward in second. wtf???? i really had to get used to this. i was feeling the opposite that the pedal felt way too sensitive.

Quick Reply: GS feels a bit heavy and ponderous?