GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thinking about trading my 13 350 for an Acura or ford

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 08:02 PM
boostinsc
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
Default decided to stay with Lexus

if you have any advice or suggestions for me on trading my gs for something better on fuel and overall better experience am open to trying another make such as ford Nissan Acura Chevy, am just looking for something a bit more economical to go to work with. I am interested in Taurus SHO, Nissan Altima 2.5 or 3.5 , Acura TL 13+ , Chevy Impala or Malibu And GMC Acadia what are your thoughts?

AM KEEPING IT LEXUS ***

thanks here's some info on my car it's almost at 30k well kept and taken care of Premium Package cold weather. interior is in excellent condition. no pets and non smoker. Lexus remote star,t AWM and Lexus rear spoiler. have all documents to go with it

Last edited by boostinsc; 09-06-16 at 06:56 PM.
Old 09-03-16, 08:30 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

You are going to take a huge depreciation hit, don't be surprised receiving mid 20s trade in. At that point I don't think saving a few bucks on each tank is worth it to downgrade to a ford. Plus, gas is dirt cheap compared to when you first bought the car.
This reminds me of trading in a gas guzzler for a new hybrid model, especially SUV, during the outrageous gas price years. In reality it would take over 5-6 years to recoup the money from the gas savings
Old 09-03-16, 09:02 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

I would just keep it. Have you seen the depreciation on our cars? It's horrible. You'd be luck to get mid 20's like ssmoked mentioned. Again I would just keep it. Not worth the hassle and I'm sure you'd end up missing your GS after downgrading to a Ford.
Old 09-03-16, 09:08 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

If your major concern is economy (fuel efficiency), have you considered going for a GS450h? Or possibly a ES300h (more of a comfy ride, than sporty like the GS)? They both delivery excellent acceleration off the line due to the torque generated from the electric engines.. you'll have to "put up with" a CVT transmission.. but other than that, both will deliver better fuel economy than everything you've mentioned. Btw, you can find both vehicles at excellent prices these days, especially for the slightly older models (i.e. 2013's).

Imho, an Acura or Ford (Ford, especially) will be a huge downgrade from your current Lexus GS.

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 09-04-16 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-03-16, 10:07 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 399 Likes on 242 Posts

bit more economical?? what 5-10 more mile per gal? your talking saving maybe $100 to at the most $200 a year.
put regular gas then if it's that tight, not recommended and your performance will suffer some.... that way will also save a couple of hundred dollars a year. either way is better than down grading to those other brands you mentioned.
most of all, you know your finances, see where your budget should be and be wise
Old 09-04-16, 06:12 AM
dano
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm a retired Acura salesman and I drive a GS F Sport AWD. Hmmm...what's that tell you? I drove a 2013 TL Advance when I was selling them. The quality wasn't there compared to the GS, not even close. In fact my '14 Accord Touring Hybrid had higher quality. The gas mileage on the TL was never above 25 and it was FWD. The ELS stereo was only marginally better than the Lexus Premium. That is the only thing I can think of that was better about the TL.
The rest of the cars on your list are decent cars but completely forgettable. You own something very special. The GS is an amazing car that I am sure you would regret selling after a week in any of the other cars on your list. And the 2.5 Altima is the only car that will give you noticeably better mileage. But then there is the Nissan CVT to contend with.
Here's a little advice: spend an entire day cleaning, washing and waxing your GS. Once you have her all spit shined then take her for a drive. Find a cool setting out in the country and take some pictures. This day of bonding may change your mind. It's worked for me in the past. ��
Old 09-04-16, 08:46 AM
LXGXSAM1
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dano
I'm a retired Acura salesman and I drive a GS F Sport AWD. Hmmm...what's that tell you? I drove a 2013 TL Advance when I was selling them. The quality wasn't there compared to the GS, not even close. In fact my '14 Accord Touring Hybrid had higher quality. The gas mileage on the TL was never above 25 and it was FWD. The ELS stereo was only marginally better than the Lexus Premium. That is the only thing I can think of that was better about the TL.
The rest of the cars on your list are decent cars but completely forgettable. You own something very special. The GS is an amazing car that I am sure you would regret selling after a week in any of the other cars on your list. And the 2.5 Altima is the only car that will give you noticeably better mileage. But then there is the Nissan CVT to contend with.
Here's a little advice: spend an entire day cleaning, washing and waxing your GS. Once you have her all spit shined then take her for a drive. Find a cool setting out in the country and take some pictures. This day of bonding may change your mind. It's worked for me in the past. ��
Great Advice! Trying to save a gallon per fillup only nets you about a hundred bucks a year.
Old 09-04-16, 10:22 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

A friend of mine got 24400 for his F Sports with under 40k miles, ull be lucky to get 23 out of it. The speed the cars depreciating it's just horrible.
Old 09-04-16, 02:57 PM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
A friend of mine got 24400 for his F Sports with under 40k miles, ull be lucky to get 23 out of it. The speed the cars depreciating it's just horrible.
Damn!!!! What a Royal *** raping!!
Old 09-04-16, 04:47 PM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i have a 2015 f sport with ML 7k miles. fully loaded white on red. dealer only willing to pay $39k for trade-in!
Old 09-04-16, 05:12 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by jonathanz
i have a 2015 f sport with ML 7k miles. fully loaded white on red. dealer only willing to pay $39k for trade-in!
how low did you negotiate down the sale price though?
Old 09-04-16, 06:05 PM
kaminare
Driver School Candidate

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Yea I would Deff not downgrade, working as a tech for ford I wouldn't buy any of those vehicles lol. Quality of interior and plastics is garbage
Old 09-04-16, 09:10 PM
jmull3r
Instructor

Received 239 Likes on 143 Posts

they're all garbage compared to the lexus, if you want something similar look for a BMW.
Old 09-04-16, 09:19 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jmull3r
they're all garbage compared to the lexus, if you want something similar look for a BMW.
Bmw is garbage when you talk about reliability, coming from a 535 myself.
Old 09-04-16, 09:24 PM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

You're asking for advice on leaving Lexus in a Lexus board? What are the Ford and Acura boards telling you? To stay Lexus?

All the previous advice, yes...truth. Depreciation, mileage, etc...you're just not going to get away without getting pinched somewhere. And the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Best of luck though. Sometimes you just need to be away and experience other lifestyles to know exactly where you were.

Quick Reply: Thinking about trading my 13 350 for an Acura or ford