GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Ouch on Resale

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 08:40 AM
neilattack
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had hoped my 15 would rack up some positive equity within my 3 yr lease to move into something else.

Boy, was I wrong about that! Lol

At least I got a stellar deal on the lease, so I don't mind waiting until it's time to just turn it in.
Old 08-17-16, 08:55 AM
13gs350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by neilattack
I had hoped my 15 would rack up some positive equity within my 3 yr lease to move into something else.

Boy, was I wrong about that! Lol

At least I got a stellar deal on the lease, so I don't mind waiting until it's time to just turn it in.
It depends on what depreciated value you negotiated on the lease. Easier said than done, but you can barter that value before you sign the lease.
Old 08-17-16, 10:00 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

All the leases are coming back. They should let us negotiate on the residuals so some can buy it after the lease. I like mine but if my residual is much higher than the true market value then why would I buy it? I highly doubt my car will worth $30K 2 years from now (I got a 4 yr lease). I don't think it's even worth $30K now!!
Old 08-18-16, 08:03 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

I think this is just par for the course. According to KBB Lexus has the better resale value but in general after 36 months, you can expect around 50% of the value. Depending on the model, brand, time of year, ...etc it could be less. I knew this going in which is why I tend to keep my cars a long time. But more and more leasing looks more appealing to me. I got three more years with my 2016 and then we'll see what's out there.

http://www.kbb.com/new-cars/best-res...le-luxury-car/

Old 08-20-16, 04:41 AM
DP03
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Be careful with KBB. They are a good data collection service, but they don't buy or sell cars. When a car is traded in at a dealer, there are two numbers on your car. A dealer has a "what we show the customer" number and "what we actually gave the customer" number. They are always different. Dealers rarely buy your car without you buying another, so they have the ability (and do) play the shell game with the money in their deal (profit on the new car, profit on financing, profit on up-sells, holdbacks, etc).

KBB collects what the dealers report, which is the higher of the two numbers above (what they show the customer).

A better representation of what to expect for a trade in value is Edmunds.com. More realistic almost every time.
Old 08-20-16, 05:51 AM
psieg2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just bought a 13' GS350 RWD with Lux package for $27K. Perfect condition in and out with 44K miles. I paid $1500 more than the best deal I found for the color combo I wanted. This is my 3rd Lexus. First IS then RX, now GS. I have to say there is no better value in the used market right now than 2013-14 GS's. My car had a $59K sticker and I just paid less than half for it in perfect condition. I have 6K of warranty left, and can extend if I choose (I won't because after 2 previous Lexus with MUCH higher mileage I know they don't break if maintained).

I am sorry for those that are getting stuck by the poor values due to the off-lease glut, there is no way many of them could have known these models would suffer hyper-depreciation. I love cars and hate losing money so I have become adept at finding these sorts of deals to minimize the financial impact of my car addiction. I have to say this is the most car I have ever bought for the low price I paid. It is possible that I will keep this one for many years and switch out some of my others more frequently. Now the wife wants me to turn her RX into an NX and I think in 1-2 years those will be cheap as dirt because a blue million of them have been leased here in the southeast.
Old 08-20-16, 08:40 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

From everything I have read, and from personal experience, the GX holds its value the best. I would imagine the LX too. I had positive equity on my GX lease and I turned it in 7 months early...
Old 08-21-16, 11:56 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
From everything I have read, and from personal experience, the GX holds its value the best. I would imagine the LX too. I had positive equity on my GX lease and I turned it in 7 months early...
I have to agree! I even posted that in a similar thread like this last week. The GX hold its value so much better then the RX and especially the GS.
Old 08-26-16, 03:32 PM
silguy
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO, if you're buying a Lexus, especially any newer one, you shouldn't think about the value. It's simply not worth it. Just think of it like, I spent a sh1tload, now I will drive the **** out of it and enjoy the luxury features of a $50k car. If you keep thinking about selling, buying, and value..it simply will not add up. Personally, I don't even think it's worth $50k. $50k is a whole lot of money for most people, not to mention the monthly payments. Especially, if you're selling it and trying to get some of your money back. Who's gonna pay $30+k for a used car? Or even $20k? The niche is small. I would pay 20s for a LS460, but the ones in that price range are pretty beat up or high miles.
Old 08-26-16, 10:55 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by silguy
IMHO, if you're buying a Lexus, especially any newer one, you shouldn't think about the value. It's simply not worth it. Just think of it like, I spent a sh1tload, now I will drive the **** out of it and enjoy the luxury features of a $50k car. If you keep thinking about selling, buying, and value..it simply will not add up. Personally, I don't even think it's worth $50k. $50k is a whole lot of money for most people, not to mention the monthly payments. Especially, if you're selling it and trying to get some of your money back. Who's gonna pay $30+k for a used car? Or even $20k? The niche is small. I would pay 20s for a LS460, but the ones in that price range are pretty beat up or high miles.
I have bought FSports recently with the MSRP of almost 60k and I paid less then half of it, even then my brother said this junk is not worth 30k. For 30k I should have gotten a Bmw 535 or MB CLS550.
Old 08-27-16, 11:10 AM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
I have bought FSports recently with the MSRP of almost 60k and I paid less then half of it, even then my brother said this junk is not worth 30k. For 30k I should have gotten a Bmw 535 or MB CLS550.
If you buy a 30k 535 or cls550, more than likely it has over 50k miles and out of warranty. Be ready to shell out $3-5000 in near term repairing costs. Your brother obviously sounds like a German fan boy that can't afford to buy new or lease new, resorting to the used market for cheap out of warranty Germans thinking he is getting a bargain. I wouldn't touch anything out of warranty except Japanese unless you have deep pockets for repair costs and too much time on your hands visiting the dealership for repairs
Old 08-27-16, 01:08 PM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
If you buy a 30k 535 or cls550, more than likely it has over 50k miles and out of warranty. Be ready to shell out $3-5000 in near term repairing costs. Your brother obviously sounds like a German fan boy that can't afford to buy new or lease new, resorting to the used market for cheap out of warranty Germans thinking he is getting a bargain. I wouldn't touch anything out of warranty except Japanese unless you have deep pockets for repair costs and too much time on your hands visiting the dealership for repairs
LOL I have to agree 100% on this
Old 08-27-16, 02:00 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by ssmoked
How did u imagine he's broke and can't afford any new car, he drives a meserati Granturismo as a daily driver, wat he was trying to say that the Lexus emblem is not worth spending that much money. You got some imagination gotta tell u that.
Old 08-27-16, 11:52 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
How did u imagine he's broke and can't afford any new car, he drives a meserati Granturismo as a daily driver, wat he was trying to say that the Lexus emblem is not worth spending that much money. You got some imagination gotta tell u that.
What's a "meserati"? Oh I see, he picked up a heavily used one that's significantly depreciated for cheap just to drive the name brand. That makes sense, he would recommend you a cheap used Bimmer or Benz just for the brand also.
Sorry, I just can't take you seriously by the way you spell.
Old 08-28-16, 05:01 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Guys lets keep this discussion polite and mature please