GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

brake pad thickness question

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-16, 07:03 AM
jacktung
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake pad thickness question

I have 2013 GS 350 AWD, and I recently had a service and dealer told me that the front brake pads are needed to replaced. I looked at the service paper and it said brake pad thickness is 4/32 front and 8/32 rear. I drove 37,000 miles on it. Should I replace the front brake pads? what is the min thickness of the brake pad? I am a new to this forum. Please anyone answer to the question. thanks,
Old 08-15-16, 07:24 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

4./32 is getting close to the point where you have to replace it (2/32 would be when you "have to " replace it). If the brakes are squeaking though, change it right away, before it causes damage.
Not sure what Lexus recommends - check the manual.
Old 08-15-16, 08:01 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

Originally Posted by jacktung
I have 2013 GS 350 AWD, and I recently had a service and dealer told me that the front brake pads are needed to replaced. I looked at the service paper and it said brake pad thickness is 4/32 front and 8/32 rear. I drove 37,000 miles on it. Should I replace the front brake pads? what is the min thickness of the brake pad? I am a new to this forum. Please anyone answer to the question. thanks,
If [while] the car was in for other dealer servicing and I was told the front pads were at 4/32 I would have had only the front pads replaced...unless you plan to have some other service work done at the dealer sometime in the next ~5,000 miles, or you don't mind the time or hassle of returning to the dealer again. The rear pads at 8/32 will last a rather long time before they need to be replaced...as the front brakes usually wear much faster than the rear brakes.
Old 08-15-16, 08:06 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

Also have a 2013 AWD - recently replaced rear brakes and rotors after 48k miles (car was purchased CPO with 43k miles). Front brakes and rotors still good after 48k miles (not sure how unless they were previously replaced I don't recall from seeing the service history if they were). I believe 5mm-6mm is the general CPO standard for brake wear. New pads are typically are between 11-12mm in thickness so essentially a CPO car should have about 50% of its brake pads remaining to be sold as CPO. At 4mm, personally I would change it. A few helpful threads:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...rake-pads.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-4k-miles.html
Old 08-15-16, 12:15 PM
jacktung
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the great information ... I guess I should change the front pad soon.. I am thinking about DIY. Is it easy?
Again, thank you very much for you guys feedback~ I love this forum..
Old 08-15-16, 06:22 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Thanks for the great information ... I guess I should change the front pad soon.. I am thinking about DIY. Is it easy?
There's a diy video on YouTube looks pretty simple, getting the ceramic pads Duralast Max cas of the constant squeaking of the fsports.
Old 08-15-16, 11:29 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Over the past 30 years, I have had two occasions where the very thin pads shattered into small pieces, and the metal calipers ended up grabbing the rotors, such that I had to have the rotors machined.
I would recommend replacing the pads long before it had reached 4/32".

If you are good at DIY, then replacing the pads yourself should be easy.

Old 08-16-16, 08:13 AM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is the easiest car I have ever changed! There is a step by step DIY on the forum. The pads are so easy, the wheel removal takes more time.
I have the Duralast (autozone) Ceramic Cmax pads and am VERY happy. Great bite (better than the last ceramic pads I had on my BMW), little to no dust either.
I wouldn't worry about the rears for a while either
Old 08-16-16, 12:16 PM
jacktung
Driver School Candidate

I read the forum and many people use ceramic pads instead of OEM pads because of dust issue. Is it better to use OEM pads for the rotor?
Old 08-16-16, 01:44 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,996 Likes on 1,418 Posts

I read the forum and many people use ceramic pads instead of OEM pads because of dust issue. Is it better to use OEM pads for the rotor?
With your non-F GS I would go with factory OEM pads. Some GS 350 owners with F-Sport models use the ceramic pads because the F-Sport OEM pads disperse more dust and also have a tendency to squeal, whereas the non-F brakes and pads don't display those issues.