GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Disable auto headlights?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-16, 08:51 AM
abcfob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Disable auto headlights?

Hi Everyone. Just recently bought a GS, and had a question.

Is there a way to completely disable the auto setting for headlights? I'm not a fan of the HIDs kicking on and off just because I drive under an overpass, parking garages, or even just because I started the car in my garage as it'll wear out the HID ballasts. I would prefer the auto setting to just not do anything. Is that possible to configure?

Old 08-13-16, 08:56 AM
dougm213
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Sure, just turn the selector to Off and when you want them on, turn to lights on. To be in Auto mode, there is a turn stop marked AUTO
Old 08-13-16, 09:19 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

You can also adjust the sensitivity of the auto headlights setting in Setup and Vehicle. Or like previous post said, just turn it to a different position on the stalk.
Old 08-13-16, 10:18 AM
vinnier6
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The issue with turning them off is that the led drl will be off as well....most people like those on...I just adjusted the sensitivity...now if I could just get the damn auto dim/bright feature of the dash lights to turn off that would be great
Old 08-13-16, 11:09 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by vinnier6
The issue with turning them off is that the led drl will be off as well....most people like those on...I just adjusted the sensitivity...now if I could just get the damn auto dim/bright feature of the dash lights to turn off that would be great
OP can leave it in the parking lights setting and then he/she will have both LED DRL and taillights on at all times while driving.
Old 08-13-16, 11:14 AM
teezee1000
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vinnier6
I noticed that that everybody drives around with the DRLs on in the new gen Lexus's. Even in the sunniest of day's. When I first got my car I did it too, now it annoys me and I keep my DRLs off to be defiant..LOL. As for your question I think theres an option in Carista for that. I pulled this off my ES when I had it. Im sure its on the GS too, Im too lazy to check right now tho.

Instrument lights dimming sensitivity
DARKEST / DARKER / *NORMAL* / LIGHTER / LIGHTEST
Instrument lights restoring sensitivity
DARKEST / DARKER / *NORMAL* / LIGHTER / LIGHTEST

Old 08-13-16, 05:18 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

DRL's draw attention, so I leave them on at all times. Also I prefer the auto setting but 10 times out of 10, when I get the car back from anyone (dealership, valet, etc.) they always turn the headlights off. There's an auto setting people, get accustomed.
Old 08-13-16, 09:57 PM
abcfob
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, I'm used to leaving it in off in my previous car and flipping on parking lights or headlights as needed, so in the GS that means that the HIDs turn on as I flick through to the parking light option. The best thing in my mind would have been if the auto indent could have been programmed to be the same as off.

The suggestion to just leave it on parking lights is not a bad option. I'd just have to get used to turning it to off after turning the car off, which isn't very convenient. This isn't an issue in my other car (BMW) because the auto option is separate from the off/parking/headlights options. I suppose I could just live with it

EDIT: Thanks for the Carista suggestion, I didn't know about that tool...will do some research
Old 08-13-16, 10:30 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by abcfob
Yeah, I'm used to leaving it in off in my previous car and flipping on parking lights or headlights as needed, so in the GS that means that the HIDs turn on as I flick through to the parking light option. The best thing in my mind would have been if the auto indent could have been programmed to be the same as off.

The suggestion to just leave it on parking lights is not a bad option. I'd just have to get used to turning it to off after turning the car off, which isn't very convenient. This isn't an issue in my other car (BMW) because the auto option is separate from the off/parking/headlights options. I suppose I could just live with it

EDIT: Thanks for the Carista suggestion, I didn't know about that tool...will do some research
You can leave it on parking lights and the car will turn them off when you open the door. Then flip it to auto when it gets dark.
Old 08-16-16, 01:54 PM
Carista
Former Sponsor

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

On most cars, you can also enable/disable the DRLs via Carista and I think that affects the "OFF" position of the headlights switch as well... but I'm not 100% sure. If you have an OBD dongle, give it a try