GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

'16 F sport Velgen, Tanabe, RSR Superdowns Lots of Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-16, 10:52 PM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Very nice combo buddy! Seems like you have 'matte gunmetal'. How is water stains? Is it hard to remove them? Some folks have noted it...
Old 08-04-16, 12:27 PM
LGSFS2012
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by shurik74
Very nice combo buddy! Seems like you have 'matte gunmetal'. How is water stains? Is it hard to remove them? Some folks have noted it...
think they are more satin . matte is very rough and the wheels aren't at all

Old 08-05-16, 09:34 AM
R6_Dude
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
I think 38 ET would have been better in the front, Vossen and other companies recommend that also.
Probably, but I'm happy with it the way it is.

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Looks great!! Would love to work on your car!
haha, we would probably come up with some crazy ideas. Give this guy a call for any parts you need!

-Josh
Originally Posted by Seize
Car looks great!
The drop and the wheels complement your car quite nicely
Thanks man, yeah, I was stuck between a couple different style wheels, but this one was the one that was best fit for me.

Originally Posted by Appointed
wow, sweet ride...I luv the mods
Me too! Simple but clean, that's what I was going for.
Old 08-05-16, 09:35 AM
R6_Dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by shurik74
Originally Posted by LGSFS2012
think they are more satin . matte is very rough and the wheels aren't at all
LGSF is right, it's more of a satin, put about 500miles on them already and brake dusts and debris just come off with ease. Thanks!
Old 08-07-16, 12:56 AM
gekae24
Intermediate

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by R6_Dude
Just wanted to share some pics and thoughts on my set up. 2016 GS 350 F Sport Obsidian.
Mods:
Velgen VMB9 (Thanks Ray @Velgen)
Falken 453 245F 275R
Tanabe axle back
Tanabe NF210
RSR Superdown

So why do I have two sets of suspension on my car?!?! I don't. I started off with the Tanabe's because I thought those were what I wanted for a nice drop and ride quality. Went through a ton of pics on here and they really look good, so I went for it. Had it dropped on my stock wheels and it really was nice! Really should have been the way the car came stock. Ride was good, no rubbing (stock wheels) overall happy.

Then I called up Ray at Velgen because the VMB9's were just so badass . He got me set up with 20x9 +32 fronts and 20x10.5 +45 in the rears. Not too many Velgen's out here in the CA, mostly Stance and Rohana so I made the decision and he shipped it out real quick. So here it is with the Tanabe.

Again, very nice and works for most, but I'm used to driving my cars slammed to the ground, but wanted something a little more conservative and something that I don't have to worry about rubbing with passengers, etc. From a far it looks awesome, but I just didn't like the wheel gap. Ride was perfect, couldn't really tell I was on aftermarket suspension until I hit some pretty big dips and rubbed a little bit.

After a couple of days, I decided to forget about being conservative and live my college days again haha, and got the Superdowns. I've read all the reviews on here and everybody seems to say it's a big drop and there definitely is rubbing, but personally, it's not that big of a difference. Don't know if you can tell in the pics, but the fender sits right on top of the tire, no tucking. Yes I rub (even on 275R), but it's really not that big of a deal because it's only on big dips on the road. Check it out.

IMO both suspensions are great. But if you are on the fence about either of these two springs and hesitant because you feel RSR might be too low, go RSR, you won't regret it. But if you want something a little less aggressive, go with the Tanabe.

Tanabe's are for sale btw haha. 1500 miles on them.
Very nice! Congrats
Old 08-07-16, 02:03 PM
GSLexTexas
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

R6: This is the perfect thread for me!! I have read and heard of different reviews from members here on their springs but yours is perfect b/c you have photos to show for and you have driven on both springs before you came to a conclusion! I have read that Tanabes tend to be too bouncy and a tad lower than RS-R Low Downs. RS-R Low Downs aren't low enough. RS-R Super Downs are too low.

Because of this thread, I will be purchasing the RS-R Super Downs. They will be sitting on 20x9.5 +40 (all around) with 245/35/20. I know I'm being too conservative on the rears with the 9.5 but these came off my previous car and im too in love with them to let them go and get new wheels. Will that wheel and tire combo rub after I drop on RS-R Super downs with 2 adults sitting in the back?
Old 08-08-16, 03:02 PM
R6_Dude
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GSLexTexas
R6: This is the perfect thread for me!! I have read and heard of different reviews from members here on their springs but yours is perfect b/c you have photos to show for and you have driven on both springs before you came to a conclusion! I have read that Tanabes tend to be too bouncy and a tad lower than RS-R Low Downs. RS-R Low Downs aren't low enough. RS-R Super Downs are too low.

Because of this thread, I will be purchasing the RS-R Super Downs. They will be sitting on 20x9.5 +40 (all around) with 245/35/20. I know I'm being too conservative on the rears with the 9.5 but these came off my previous car and im too in love with them to let them go and get new wheels. Will that wheel and tire combo rub after I drop on RS-R Super downs with 2 adults sitting in the back?
Glad to be of help. Both suspensions are great, but if you want to be just a tad lower and don't mind a little rubbing from time to time (even the tanabe's rub on certain dips) it's best to go with the Superdowns.

In terms of your set up with 9.5 all around, I'm no expert, but you are 1' narrower than me on the rears, I don't see how you could be rubbing.
Old 09-19-16, 10:14 PM
serveemup
Driver School Candidate

Car looks awesome! Just wanted to know, when you had your tenabes with your velgens, was the height of your front bumper relative to the ground similar to when you had stock wheels or was the car lower regardless of the bigger rim/tires combo?