GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Mercedes E class

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 01:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

On the topic of the E300, I did extensively test drive one today. It was a low equipped model, about $62k which seems to be what dealers here have in stock. MB Tex interior, basic gauges. The interior is nice, its not amazing. I would still say the GS is nicer inside. Higher spec E's will be better, but remember that $62k E300 is already optioned like a totally loaded Luxury package GS...and in that comparison the GS easily wins. A E spec'ed inside like I would want would be over $72k. Space is good, tight in the back but thin well molded seatbacks improve rear seat room over the GS. I really like the ambient lighting, very special.

Ride and drive. I thought the car rode quite well, a little better than the GS with AVS. Very nimble, felt very light on its feet and handled quite well. I would say rode better than the GS not as well as the LS. Quietness I would say very similar to the GS, not as quiet as the LS. Same sort of issue with the GS, good at blocking out exterior noise, wind noise very low, but road noise comes through. Car had Pirelli Cinturato P7 which is what I have on the LS, very quiet tires.

Now the engine. Let me say...what a shame this car has this 4cyl engine. if this had a V6 or an I6 it would really be far and away the winner in the class. The pep is there, it doesn't feel underpowered and in normal driving might even feel a little peppier than the NA V6, but the engine does not sound or feel especially refined or luxurious. From startup to throttle, it sounds like what it is, a small 4cyl motor. Buzzy at times, a fine entry engine, but I would not want the car with this motor...

All in all, The E would still likely be last on my list in this segment, which it was before the refresh just for different reasons.
Old 08-05-16, 01:33 PM
LexRuger
Pole Position

Received 186 Likes on 117 Posts

I've been in an A6, CTS, MKZ, XF, Ghibli, 5 series and the GS always wins in interior quality dollar for dollar. I don't know how they do it.

The only thing Lexus needs to work on is the tech

Last edited by LexRuger; 08-05-16 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 04:06 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
On the topic of the E300, I did extensively test drive one today. It was a low equipped model, about $62k which seems to be what dealers here have in stock. MB Tex interior, basic gauges. The interior is nice, its not amazing. I would still say the GS is nicer inside. Higher spec E's will be better, but remember that $62k E300 is already optioned like a totally loaded Luxury package GS...and in that comparison the GS easily wins. A E spec'ed inside like I would want would be over $72k. Space is good, tight in the back but thin well molded seatbacks improve rear seat room over the GS. I really like the ambient lighting, very special.

Ride and drive. I thought the car rode quite well, a little better than the GS with AVS. Very nimble, felt very light on its feet and handled quite well. I would say rode better than the GS not as well as the LS. Quietness I would say very similar to the GS, not as quiet as the LS. Same sort of issue with the GS, good at blocking out exterior noise, wind noise very low, but road noise comes through. Car had Pirelli Cinturato P7 which is what I have on the LS, very quiet tires.

Now the engine. Let me say...what a shame this car has this 4cyl engine. if this had a V6 or an I6 it would really be far and away the winner in the class. The pep is there, it doesn't feel underpowered and in normal driving might even feel a little peppier than the NA V6, but the engine does not sound or feel especially refined or luxurious. From startup to throttle, it sounds like what it is, a small 4cyl motor. Buzzy at times, a fine entry engine, but I would not want the car with this motor...

All in all, The E would still likely be last on my list in this segment, which it was before the refresh just for different reasons.
Steve, did you manage to test the new E300 for steering sharpness [response] and terminal grip?
How was it compared to 4GS?

I thought 4GS' steering is much sharper than old 2009-16 E350.
On 19", the 4GS handling feels almost like a compact car!

PS.
Also, did you find the E300's trunk very shallow?
Was there a spare tire, or did the E300 use run flats?
Old 08-05-16, 04:33 PM
SeattleMas
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Since I'm in deal limbo right now I took the opportunity to drive E300, A6 and ATS one afternoon. I thought the E300 was really nice, but a bit too over the top with silver-plated speaker grills, and maybe a bit too much chrome. The self-parking feature was pretty damn cool, but it was very touchy to get to work and the demo failed at least half the time, not sure I'd trust it parking my $60k car. The ride was very comfortable, but to put a 4 cylinder engine in this car is criminal. I drove a demo '16 E350 and the V-6 is leaps and bounds better, however, the interior felt dated after the '17 (the huge screen in the 17 is pretty spectacular). Not sure I could ever get over having the shifter on the column though. And the Benz is way more expensive.

It's hard to say anything bad about the A6, other than it didn't excite me...and the ridiculous sales manager actually asked "What's it going to take to get you to buy today." To get apples to apples features with FSport (such as ventilated seats) you have to go all the way to the top level trim, which again is much more expensive. And they are far too common here in Seattle.

ATS: Just not for me. For the same price as GS, the interior was several grades lower, both the leather and the plastics. Yuck.