GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Where do you guys mount your front license plate?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-16, 10:10 PM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Afrosheen
It's true for Dallas County, yes. Try this for fun. On your next drive around town, start counting cars without front plates.. There are thousands if not more.
No, it's not true. Maybe not enforced but state laws states you must have 2 license plates on vehicles.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.504.htm

Sec. 504.943. OPERATION OF VEHICLE WITHOUT LICENSE PLATE. (a) Except as provided by Subsection (b), a person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway, during a registration period, a motor vehicle that does not display two license plates that:

(1) have been assigned by the department for the period; and

(2) comply with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

(b) A person commits an offense if the person operates on a public highway during a registration period a road tractor, motorcycle, trailer, or semitrailer that does not display a license plate that:

(1) has been assigned by the department for the period; and

(2) complies with department rules regarding the placement of license plates.

(c) This section does not apply to a dealer operating a vehicle as provided by law.

(d) A court may dismiss a charge brought under Subsection (a)(1) if the defendant:

(1) remedies the defect before the defendant's first court appearance; and

(2) pays an administrative fee not to exceed $10.

(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $200
Old 07-30-16, 11:18 AM
sakuragrl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not have one, thankfully. I don't often go downtown in my state, but if I do, I just put my licence plate against my windshield.
Old 07-30-16, 07:40 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Squared
No, it's not true. Maybe not enforced but state laws states you must have 2 license plates on vehicles.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.u...htm/TN.504.htm
I'm not arguing this so I'll say it for the last time. This only applies to Dallas County.
Old 07-30-16, 09:14 PM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

I'm not arguing this so I'll say it for the last time. This only applies to Dallas County.
Dallas County can not override state law.
Old 07-31-16, 08:47 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Squared
Dallas County can not override state law.
It applies to the entire state of Texas with no exceptions.
Old 07-31-16, 08:32 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

I just got a ticket on Thursday morning for parking in downtown San Francisco with no front plate. I'm debating whether to drill it on or not since I don't intend on keeping the car at lease end and don't want any further tickets for this as this is my 2nd one in CA. The first one was in LA county.
Old 08-01-16, 05:59 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
Is it really only $25?
Yes i still have the receipt Ill post it if you want lol
Old 08-01-16, 06:00 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Sevn86
lol I'm perfectly fine with that as long as I don't get pulled over for not having a plate in the front.
that rarely if ever happens bro, idk how it is out there in texas but here nobody gets pulled over for front license plates
Old 08-01-16, 08:57 AM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
that rarely if ever happens bro, idk how it is out there in texas but here nobody gets pulled over for front license plates
If they (police, highway patrol, deputy, etc.) are looking for a reason to pull you over because they 'suspect something'...or they just want to 'visit with you awhile', not having a front license plate is a perfect and legitimate reason for them to pull you over. This would be true in Texas or California, or any other state that requires a front license plate to be displayed.

Truth be known, your chances of being pulled-over are probably not very great unless; (1) your car is out-of-the-ordinary, (2) your actions are unusual, or (3) your looks are unusual...or some combination thereof. But, in the states that require them, there should be no question the chances of being pulled-over for not having a front license plate are infinitely greater compared to having one.
Old 08-01-16, 09:47 AM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
If they (police, highway patrol, deputy, etc.) are looking for a reason to pull you over because they 'suspect something'...or they just want to 'visit with you awhile', not having a front license plate is a perfect and legitimate reason for them to pull you over. This would be true in Texas or California, or any other state that requires a front license plate to be displayed.

Truth be known, your chances of being pulled-over are probably not very great unless; (1) your car is out-of-the-ordinary, (2) your actions are unusual, or (3) your looks are unusual...or some combination thereof. But, in the states that require them, there should be no question the chances of being pulled-over for not having a front license plate are infinitely greater compared to having one.
I'd have to agree w/ you. IL requires a front plate. I only get ticketed (knock on wood) only when parked in the city of chicago. I've been pulled over for speeding plenty of times w/ darker tints and no plates, but they never bothered me about that. BUT there are some cities that are more stringent than others, from what i've heard from others.
Old 08-01-16, 11:55 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Infamous3
That's what I thought and use to run my cars without front plates. Turns out it's a good to have them mounted as my cousin was recently pulled over for not having a front plate in an area I always travel. Plus like I mentioned before, I have a specialty plate that I paid extra for so I might as well display it.