Thoughts on used GS with high mileage

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-16, 09:33 AM
Beermoney
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on used GS with high mileage

All,

After my beloved Betsy died back in March, with 280K on her clock, I have been contemplating my next purchase. I really like the Merc E350 but MB reliability is a big question for me. Between me and my in-laws, we have had 6 Lexi and they have all been relatively trouble free. My budget is low to mid $20K and all of the used GS's in that price range (that I have seen) have 80K+ on the clock.

What do you all think about getting a high mileage GS, like a 2013 model? Is it too big of a risk with that mileage or is the risk reasonable considering the quality of Lexus?

Thanks for looking!

BM
Old 07-26-16, 11:15 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

"The risk is reasonable considering the quality of Lexus". This is something the Euro brands cannot touch, which puts most at ease when purchasing and owning for extended periods of time.

There's a saying, "The most expensive car in the world is a cheap Mercedes."

Just my .02
Old 07-26-16, 11:24 AM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

All depends who owned the car, if all services have been completed on time. I would buy one if I know the owner
Old 07-26-16, 11:47 AM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you're buying a used car in that range of mileage/price, you definitely want to make sure everything is vetted for. Look up the maintenance history and make sure all proper expected services should be done. Check underneath to make sure there is no "leak" such as oil or any other substance that can eventually cost you a fortune.

Good rule of thumb is to check the condition of the car. If the interior and exterior is clean and well maintained with no hard wear, chances are that the previous owner took care of it. If the exterior shows neglect, panels have been painted, seats shows cracks and scratches, etc then I would pass.

Tip: ask to use a paint gauge to test each panel if the car has been repaired. Do not go by what the Carfax tells you.
Old 07-26-16, 12:12 PM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

I personally would stay away. I'd rather save up a bit more or look at a cheaper option for my replacement. Lexus is a reliable brand but the way I look at it is you can probably drive this car relatively trouble-free up to about 150,000 miles and then after that you know maintenance starts going up because you've got things that you got to replace or maintain. Plus with a car that has close to 100k miles already you're out of all the important warranties. So if anything fails it's all on you.
Old 07-26-16, 01:23 PM
exdakine
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you're buying a CPO Lexus. I say go for it!

The L/Certified Limited Warranty includes coverage for a complimentary loaner car,* Roadside Assistance* and Trip Interruption Service. Warranty is valid for a minimum of two years/unlimited mileage after the expiration of 4-year/50,000 mile new-vehicle Basic Warranty, or two years from your L/Certified purchase or lease date, whichever occurs later. Mileage is unlimited. There is no deductible: Repairs made under this warranty will be made at no cost to you. Except for excluded components (see below), this warranty covers any repair or replacement of components that fail under normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship, such as: engine, transmission, steering, brakes (excluding rotors and pads), fuel system, cooling, A/C and heating systems, electrical, and restraint systems.
Old 07-26-16, 01:32 PM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Beermoney
All,

After my beloved Betsy died back in March, with 280K on her clock, I have been contemplating my next purchase. I really like the Merc E350 but MB reliability is a big question for me. Between me and my in-laws, we have had 6 Lexi and they have all been relatively trouble free. My budget is low to mid $20K and all of the used GS's in that price range (that I have seen) have 80K+ on the clock.

What do you all think about getting a high mileage GS, like a 2013 model? Is it too big of a risk with that mileage or is the risk reasonable considering the quality of Lexus?

Thanks for looking!

BM
Here's a thought, why not go for something with less mileage but at a higher price? I'm sure you can find something in the mid to high $20's that may be certified. Pay what you want upfront and finance the rest. Or just keep the money in the bank and finance until the remaining balance owed is down to $20k, then you can pay it off right away at that point. 1) You will have $20k saved for rainy days 2) You have a much newer car with full warranty.
Old 07-26-16, 02:29 PM
mrpink13
Rookie

Originally Posted by Beermoney
All,

Thanks for looking!

BM
80k+ miles on the clock is nothing. do not hesitate. just make sure the dealer is good and you researched the car.
Old 07-26-16, 03:02 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

When you buy the car, name it "Betsy Jr."
Old 07-26-16, 04:30 PM
LexusBC
Rookie

I'd get the last generation Lexus GS with lower miles. You can find them in your price range with low miles. They are great cars.
Old 07-26-16, 04:42 PM
GSLexTexas
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Yesterday I picked up a LCPO gs350, non fsport, with 29k miles for $30k. Drive out was $32,250.
Old 07-26-16, 07:14 PM
13gs350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by exdakine
If you're buying a CPO Lexus. I say go for it!

The L/Certified Limited Warranty includes coverage for a complimentary loaner car,* Roadside Assistance* and Trip Interruption Service. Warranty is valid for a minimum of two years/unlimited mileage after the expiration of 4-year/50,000 mile new-vehicle Basic Warranty, or two years from your L/Certified purchase or lease date, whichever occurs later. Mileage is unlimited. There is no deductible: Repairs made under this warranty will be made at no cost to you. Except for excluded components (see below), this warranty covers any repair or replacement of components that fail under normal use due to a defect in materials or workmanship, such as: engine, transmission, steering, brakes (excluding rotors and pads), fuel system, cooling, A/C and heating systems, electrical, and restraint systems.

CPO cars tend to have lower mileage. It's part of the reason Lexus' confidence in offering that warranty. If there are any Lexus CPO purchased with higher mileage out there, chime in. Although, I haven't seen one yet. At least not when I was shopping for a CPO.
Old 07-26-16, 08:06 PM
Beermoney
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by islandbeef
When you buy the car, name it "Betsy Jr."
Good point!!!!
Old 07-27-16, 10:36 AM
Beermoney
Driver School Candidate

Best Jr. Betsy was old.. this puppy will be new -er.
Old 07-27-16, 10:38 AM
Beermoney
Driver School Candidate

Hey Everyone,

Thanks for the thoughtful comments. I know what you all said is true just needed to hear someone else "say" it. This weekend will be month-end so I will pound the pavement to try to find the GS with the lowest miles in my price range.

Thanks for the input!!!!

BM

Quick Reply: Thoughts on used GS with high mileage