GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Problem with 2016 fsport fog lights from nigel

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-16, 01:56 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ULTiMaX99
where do you get the longer wiring harness from?
what I did I got ir from Amazon and I spliced into the one came with it and made it way longer and ran it nicely under the side covers so u cant see any wires what so ever and I even wrapped it with wire loom and taped it so it looks factory.
Old 07-22-16, 03:32 PM
jjashaa
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mrpartsman
well u have 15 correct, ours is 16 thats why.
true but this is also after reading gsfcrafted's post about his iJDMTOY fog light hitting his washer res.
Old 07-24-16, 01:09 AM
anguyen041
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would be great if you can post a complete DIY when you're done! It seems as if the light itself is the same as the 13-15, I wonder if I can purchase the light and all other material from lexus and just get the garnish/cover from nigel.
Old 07-25-16, 12:55 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jjashaa
true but this is also after reading gsfcrafted's post about his iJDMTOY fog light hitting his washer res.
The overall consensus seems to be that the latter half of 2015 and onward have the bigger washer that interferes with fog light assemblies. We're actually trying to figure out if there is a specific cut-off month of manufacturing for the smaller vs bigger washer. We are going to see if we can design a thinner assembly with thinner LED to try and make the fog light to be compatible, regardless of washer size.
Old 07-25-16, 02:54 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY
The overall consensus seems to be that the latter half of 2015 and onward have the bigger washer that interferes with fog light assemblies. We're actually trying to figure out if there is a specific cut-off month of manufacturing for the smaller vs bigger washer. We are going to see if we can design a thinner assembly with thinner LED to try and make the fog light to be compatible, regardless of washer size.
its better to change the reservoir its only $90
Old 07-27-16, 05:46 AM
silvaIS
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Noooo, there is no way u can get to the screws with out taking the bumper out, and also u have to make sure u get new screws like I said, u cant just put any screw in it, u will crack it, its cheap at the dealer 90cents ea. do the job once and do it right, don't ruin the car, trust me i went threw it already , its up to u. Like I said u need help just ask me.

hey sorry to sound ignorant, but what screws are you referring to ? for the bottle? or something else?

just so I know what to order from the dealer
Old 07-27-16, 01:02 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

No for the fog lights, u need 4 screws per fog.
Old 07-28-16, 11:25 AM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iJDMTOY
I would guess Oct. Seems lexus made a few changes that started in models made after Oct. This is what i was told by japanpartsmaster when looking into trd sway bars. Said they wouldnt fit models made Oct +. At least i think she said Oct.....
Old 07-28-16, 11:26 AM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

But if you want to send me a set i can check on ny 15 GS made on 8/15
Old 10-04-18, 01:30 PM
tee139
Driver School Candidate

Welcome to my world, he should have told you that I bet you also u were missing screws and is ur wiring short also. so the part number the Biggame gave u is correct, I came up with that I have it on my car , do not look and the online pics they are all wrong just go to dealer and order that 85315-30460, and get 8 extra screws also while ur at it so u can mount the lights correctly. and if u need help let me know I went threw that , it took me over 2 weeks 2 finish because Mr.nigel didn't know anything about it, and I had to ruin my factory reservoir. And by the way did u take the bumper off to mount it or u did it on the car.
so you think the new reservoir with that part # will fit in 2016-2017 gs 350 ? I want to confirm if that new resevior will fit in the car and fog light can sit without hitting the resevior. I hope to hear from you soon. thanks
Old 01-23-19, 09:20 PM
frotiss
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car is a 2017 GS350 none F sport would I have problem with the washer bottle?
Old 01-27-20, 04:07 PM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts

I just got Nigel's kit and am cool with modifying the reservoir to fit, and will pull the bumper and steering wheel to get the OEM stalk to work. It's not a daily driver, so I have the time to do it right. But I have questions...

1 - I need mounting hardware for the lights. I can get them at Lexus, but I'm not sure what I'm asking for. Does anyone have a parts list I need for hardware?
2 - There seems to be a LOT of confusion around the wiring of the OEM stalk. From what I understand, I need to take the single "signal" wire from the relay and tap it into the ECU. Then, I need to run a couple of wires from the OEM stalk plug to the fuse panel under the dash. This will trigger everything to work, correct? No wires through the firewall with this method, right?
3 - If that's correct, then the confusion is around what pins in each – the stalk plug and the under-dash plug, correct?
4 - Is it possible to test the wiring beforehand – as in, I'll install the lights, wire them to the ECU and play with the wiring of the switch before taking off the wheel and replacing the stalk? I don't see why I couldn't just mess with it in my hand before installing it...

I have the time to document everything if I can get the right hardware and a little help with the ECU side of things. If I've got the right idea above (nothing through firewall), help me get the hardware (links) and I'll get this write-up done.

Thanks!

P.S. There's got to be a better / simpler way to do this. We just need to get official steps that work for al model years. I love the kit, but $600 shipped and I have to figure everything out myself chaps my *** a little.
Old 01-27-20, 07:13 PM
peasodos
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,226 Likes on 1,450 Posts

Originally Posted by SharpGent
I just got Nigel's kit and am cool with modifying the reservoir to fit, and will pull the bumper and steering wheel to get the OEM stalk to work. It's not a daily driver, so I have the time to do it right. But I have questions...

1 - I need mounting hardware for the lights. I can get them at Lexus, but I'm not sure what I'm asking for. Does anyone have a parts list I need for hardware?
2 - There seems to be a LOT of confusion around the wiring of the OEM stalk. From what I understand, I need to take the single "signal" wire from the relay and tap it into the ECU. Then, I need to run a couple of wires from the OEM stalk plug to the fuse panel under the dash. This will trigger everything to work, correct? No wires through the firewall with this method, right?
3 - If that's correct, then the confusion is around what pins in each – the stalk plug and the under-dash plug, correct?
4 - Is it possible to test the wiring beforehand – as in, I'll install the lights, wire them to the ECU and play with the wiring of the switch before taking off the wheel and replacing the stalk? I don't see why I couldn't just mess with it in my hand before installing it...

I have the time to document everything if I can get the right hardware and a little help with the ECU side of things. If I've got the right idea above (nothing through firewall), help me get the hardware (links) and I'll get this write-up done.

Thanks!

P.S. There's got to be a better / simpler way to do this. We just need to get official steps that work for al model years. I love the kit, but $600 shipped and I have to figure everything out myself chaps my *** a little.
I read somewhere it was not necessary to change the windshield washer reservoir, the person, just took off a couple of the bolts on the reservoir and zip tied it further out of the way from the fog light, giving enough room to install the fogs. You still have to take the bumper off to do this.
Old 01-28-20, 05:33 AM
SharpGent
Pit Crew

Received 122 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by peasodos
I read somewhere it was not necessary to change the windshield washer reservoir, the person, just took off a couple of the bolts on the reservoir and zip tied it further out of the way from the fog light, giving enough room to install the fogs. You still have to take the bumper off to do this.
Yeah, that's what I'm going to do. I'll find where things need to be shaved/loosened/persuaded into place, and I'll go that route. I just need a few pointers for the wiring so I know what blocks to mess with, and the screws for the light mounts. I plan to take the bumper off to get detailed pictures of everything.
The following users liked this post:
JERRY2017G (10-13-20)
Old 01-04-23, 03:06 AM
BlueByYou
7th Gear

Welcome to my world, he should have told you that I bet you also u were missing screws and is ur wiring short also. so the part number the Biggame gave u is correct, I came up with that I have it on my car , do not look and the online pics they are all wrong just go to dealer and order that 85315-30460, and get 8 extra screws also while ur at it so u can mount the lights correctly. and if u need help let me know I went threw that , it took me over 2 weeks 2 finish because Mr.nigel didn't know anything about it, and I had to ruin my factory reservoir. And by the way did u take the bumper off to mount it or u did it on the car.
what kind of screws are you referring too?

Quick Reply: Problem with 2016 fsport fog lights from nigel