GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Retired and Seeking Advice

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-16, 12:43 PM
Hummel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Retired and Seeking Advice

Hi everyone. I am a new member, longtime lurker. I am considering purchasing a Lexus for my next vehicle. I am retired, an empty nester and a car nut. I wish I had saved all of the money that I have spent on new cars over the years. In any event, I am looking at special ordering a GS, AWD, with Luxury Pkg and all options. Building one, it prices out at just over $62,000. I know optioned like this that they are far and few in between. I have only found 2 on Cars.com. I live in the Portland, OR area and there is only one dealership in Portland, 3 in the Seattle area, and one in Eugene. I think I could probably get a better deal by seeking offers from CA and having the vehicle shipped when the time comes. I would also consider an L-Certified LS-460 around the same price but think that it is too big for our needs and so different from the GS. I know it is a "luxo barge". With as many cars as I have purchased I consider myself pretty savvy at negotiations. With my time frame, I would probably be looking at a 2018. So fire away, guys and gals. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks.

Last edited by Hummel; 07-15-16 at 01:01 PM.
Old 07-15-16, 01:06 PM
old sc300
Driver School Candidate

Consider looking at a CPO GS350? I just got a low mileage heavily optioned '13 that has a similar list price to your wish list car. Extended the CPO warranty for 5 years and am good through 2024. They lose a lot of value in the first 3 years.
Old 07-15-16, 01:09 PM
Hummel
Driver School Candidate

I thought of that, as well, but the way I want it optioned, I doubt I would be able to find one in the color combination that I want. I am not going to settle this time for less. Thanks for the suggestion, though.
Old 07-15-16, 01:12 PM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I special ordered a GS w. luxury option from the Fife dealer last year. Special order is the only way to get what you want, however, he required a $5K non-refundable deposit. Getting a CA car won't work if you want AWD and cold package as they don't get those options in sunny California.
Old 07-15-16, 02:37 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

The GS is little pricey once it gets into special orders/Lux packages - unfortunately it doesn't hold its value well over the first 4yrs but that doesn't seem to be too concerning for you.

By 2018, you might be able to hold out for the next generation GS which is likely to be the 5GS for the 2019 model year. Options, packages and color combos will definitely change close to your timeframe. https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...e-2018-gs.html

Fellow forum member rld14 works at a lexus dealership and might be able to provide you with some insight as to if the car you're looking for exists in a late model version with the packages/options/colors you want...
Old 07-15-16, 03:45 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by old sc300
Consider looking at a CPO GS350? I just got a low mileage heavily optioned '13 that has a similar list price to your wish list car. Extended the CPO warranty for 5 years and am good through 2024. They lose a lot of value in the first 3 years.
Yes bought a F sports with sticker over 60k for less then half with still new smell and feel.
Old 07-16-16, 07:58 AM
Hummel
Driver School Candidate

I appreciate all of your comments. Unfortunately, most luxury cars take a big depreciation hit in the first few years. It is not just the GS. I intend to keep this next one for a long time (famous last words). As I mentioned in my first post, I will be looking for a specific color combination and options. I know this will certainly hinder finding an L-Certified vehicle. Would anyone who has special ordered, care to comment on what sort of discount, if any, was given??
Old 07-16-16, 08:16 AM
Hummel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Nimimi
I special ordered a GS w. luxury option from the Fife dealer last year. Special order is the only way to get what you want, however, he required a $5K non-refundable deposit. Getting a CA car won't work if you want AWD and cold package as they don't get those options in sunny California.
I was told by the internet manager at Longo Lexus in the L.A. area that they can special order a vehicle optioned exactly the way I want it. I believe this would be true for any dealer. Longo would require a 10% non-refundable deposit. Covered shipping would be just around $1000 to Portland.

Last edited by Hummel; 07-16-16 at 08:19 AM.
Old 07-16-16, 11:22 AM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

I still think that, being in the Pacific Northwest, a California car would not be desirable unless they can special order Cold Weather Package and AWD for you. You definitely won't find those options on a GS sitting in a dealer's lot in CA.

When I special ordered mine in March of 2015, they only discounted the car around $2.5K. When the car finally arrived in early July, we negotiated options (chip protect, window tinting, other POI options that weren't installed) for a total $4.5K reduction.

The reason stated for the $5K non-refundable deposit is that a luxury-optioned GS is not one they felt they could sell since the GS is not a fast-selling car anyway. So, if I were you, I'd special order EXACTLY what you want with colors as you want inside and out. But first, I'd look at the actual colors and combinations on a vehicle in a dealer's lot. I wanted the blue deep sea mica car with flaxen seats but could not find that blue color on any Lexus in any of the 4 WA dealer's lots, I went for the atomic silver with the semi-analine black leather because looking at actual cars with that color combination, I liked that the best.
Old 07-16-16, 11:29 AM
Hummel
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Nimimi. Looking at Atomic Silver / Noble Brown. I agree with ordering exactly what one wants.
Old 07-16-16, 11:44 AM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

You could also look at using the Costco program if you are a member. The Fife location participates in that but the Bellevue location does not (which is strange because they're owned by the same company).
Old 07-16-16, 11:50 AM
Hummel
Driver School Candidate

Good idea. I am not sure if Kuni in Portland participates. I am still a year from ordering or buying, but it is still fun to think about and discuss. My son, who just turned 30, is as crazy about cars as I am. The only difference is he works for Daimler Trucks, NA and gets a company provided new Mercedes, every two years. Lucky Dog!
Old 07-16-16, 11:59 AM
Nimimi
Pit Crew

Yes, the research and anticipation is fun! I'm in Eastern Washington so Spokane is the nearest dealer (but quite small). I think Kuni is in the Costco program as I recall talking on the phone and emailing a sales girl there. You have to use the Costco website and list a zip code near each dealer and then they send a referral to that dealer.
Old 12-16-16, 08:35 PM
hziemba
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We've had a Lexus in our family ever since the brand was created about 25 years ago; obviously, we think highly of the brand. The newest one is my current 2013 GS350, which was also our first special order - all the others were on the lot, or in the pipeline. Like you, I wanted one that was configured with options that just weren't available without a special order. I wanted the Pre-Collision System, which at the time was a $2000 option, and by the time I added all the other things I wanted, the total sticker came to just under $62K - the only major options I didn't get were the ML, the HUD, and heated rear seats. The price I actually paid was about $57.5K, which I was told was very good considering how new the model was. They wanted only $1000 deposit (refundable). The big downside was the wait...I put down the deposit on 2 Aug 2012, but the car didn't arrive at the dealer lot until 14 Dec 2012.

All told, I'm very happy with the car. The only option I somewhat regret is that I didn't get the heated rear seats, for the few times I have pax in the back seat. It's been fun to drive, and I've needed no service other than scheduled maintenance. This is going to be a keeper. BTW, I have 20K miles on the clock, and most has been highway.

Good luck with your choice, and feel free to ask any questions...folks here are great about sharing!!
Old 12-17-16, 06:50 AM
Hummel
Driver School Candidate

I am excited to be test driving Friday, the 23rd. My son will be here over the holidays so we are going to make a family day of it . Pay back for the wife is an evening attending the Nut Cracker, so everyone is happy. Right now I am leaning towards an L-certified LS, subject to change. We are also driving a few Audi vehicles, as well - A7, A8. I would only buy a CPO Audi and probably sell or trade when warranty is up. I have never leased, so am somewhat gun shy about that. Thanks again for all the personal insight to all that have replied to my post. Merry Christmas

Quick Reply: Retired and Seeking Advice