GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

plasti-dip or vinyl wrap front bumper

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 01:54 PM
iamsammy84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default plasti-dip or vinyl wrap front bumper

I am planning on either plasti-dipping or vinyl wrapping the front bumper to match the mesh grills. If i want to do it myself, which one is easier to do?
Old 07-05-16, 02:16 PM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Easiest would prob be plasti dip since you can't really make mistakes if you know how to use a spray can. I went with the wrap since it's more of a gloss finish and in my opinion gives it a cleaner look. The wrap will require more finesse and time to heat up the vinyl to contour to the edges. They you would have to cut around close enough to the bumper without cutting the actual bumper itself.

Old 07-05-16, 03:45 PM
veez81
Intermediate

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by mrkwinning
Easiest would prob be plasti dip since you can't really make mistakes if you know how to use a spray can. I went with the wrap since it's more of a gloss finish and in my opinion gives it a cleaner look. The wrap will require more finesse and time to heat up the vinyl to contour to the edges. They you would have to cut around close enough to the bumper without cutting the actual bumper itself.

really like this picture of your car and the background.
Old 07-05-16, 04:48 PM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

@jvm0685 Thanks!
Old 07-05-16, 05:50 PM
puffdaddy
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have had plasti-dip on my bumper for a few months, and it is starting to look nicked and dingy. I will be doing gloss black vinyl in the near future. The PD was easy (once the masking lines were perfect), but it doesn't look as clean in the long run
Old 07-06-16, 09:58 AM
y2tony3
Driver

if you are looking for easy... plasti dip would be the way. I highly suggest you go the wrap route. The quality, finish, and durability is 10x's better than any pasti-dip out there... Yea its a little costly but you are driving a Lexus not a 1998 Honda Civic...
Old 07-06-16, 10:15 AM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Buy a roll on Ebay, grab a beer, and spend an hour of your time to apply it to your bumper. You can find a large roll of vinyl for like $20-30 on Ebay.
Old 07-06-16, 11:54 AM
rijc99
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Wrap. Plasti dip doesn't maintain its look. And it can be a b**** to remove and clean up unless its really thick.
Old 07-06-16, 12:46 PM
trancein
Driver

I second that, its a really great pic
Old 07-06-16, 04:00 PM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're looking for easy, go with plasti-dip, but if you're looking for something that will look good I highly recommend wrapping it! Good luck!
Old 07-06-16, 04:31 PM
trinhchau
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you tell me where I can buy the plast dip, and the instruction how to do it.
thank you
Old 07-06-16, 04:52 PM
mrkwinning
Pole Position

Originally Posted by trinhchau
Can you tell me where I can buy the plast dip, and the instruction how to do it.
thank you
You can buy plasti-dip at Home Depot. But like everyone recommends, wrapping will give you a much cleaner long lasting results.
Old 07-06-16, 05:49 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I have a black F sports and I was thinking to put the clear bra to protect it from the construction going on in Dallas but looking at the wrapping what do u guys think wrapping the front bumper complete in the Matt black color , has anyone done it .
Old 07-06-16, 05:57 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

I had a professional installer dip my car. It's been a year now and still holding well. They estimated to last me about 3 years. They also sell a spray to help maintain it but I didn't bother to buy. Imo, it's well worth every penny having someone do it for you. It's doable but not that easy to make a clean job. Go to dipyourcar.com you should be able to find a good one near you. I would ask for some before after pictures. They charged me 100 for about 2 hour job.

Old 07-06-16, 06:29 PM
bluisf10
Driver School Candidate

this looks freaking clean!!

Quick Reply: plasti-dip or vinyl wrap front bumper