GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Extended warranty, would you get one?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-16, 11:16 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Extended warranty, would you get one?

Right now I'm debating if I should get the extended warranty or not

My car has 48K miles, and I'm planing to keep it for another 3 years at least. Basically until the new GS comes out. So, I'll be putting roughly another 30K miles. Anything can go wrong obviously, but the most important parts are still covered by the Powertrain Warranty until 70,000.

I know these cars if well maintained and serviced on time, can easily go over 100K with no major issues, there are exceptions of course.

So, decisions, decisions....
Old 06-25-16, 11:35 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 63 Likes on 44 Posts

How much does the extended warranty cost?
Old 06-26-16, 02:44 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC300Es
How much does the extended warranty cost?
It depends on the number of years / miles. I think 4 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, would be around $1,000.
Old 06-26-16, 02:54 AM
Rozay604
Lead Lap

Received 80 Likes on 50 Posts

I bought the extended warranty when I first purchase the car and it cost me 2700, it includes 4 free oil change but that's about it I haven't had to bring it in for anything since my bumper to bumper was done. I think the extended only covers engine, tranny and electrical stuff. They'll find a way to ding u somehow
Old 06-26-16, 07:05 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Rozay604
I bought the extended warranty when I first purchase the car and it cost me 2700, it includes 4 free oil change but that's about it I haven't had to bring it in for anything since my bumper to bumper was done. I think the extended only covers engine, tranny and electrical stuff. They'll find a way to ding u somehow
I agree, that's why I'm not sure if I really want to spend a grand on something that I may not even need. Dealers also refuse to do any type of warranty work on modified cars, happened to me a few times already, and I had to pay out of pocket.
Old 06-26-16, 12:42 PM
13gs350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just bought my CPO Lexus not too long ago. They offered an extended warranty around the same cost. I asked them about terms of the warranty and what they offered was bumper to bumper. You should ask them what it covers, and/or have them provide you with the brochure that covers the terms of the warranty for your review. If you spend any type of money on an extended warranty, you should be fully aware of what you are buying into.

I declined the warranty because when you buy into the Lexus brand you buy into Toyota reliability which is one of the best. I'm hedging my bet that mine will run well into the 100k+ mile range. I cannot guarantee 100% that you will not run into issues. So if the extended offers you piece of mind, find out what it covers and go for it.

Last edited by 13gs350; 06-26-16 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-26-16, 12:45 PM
13gs350
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As for dealers working on modified cars, it varies from dealer to dealer and the severity of the mods. If you bring your car in for service at the same dealer you bought the car or the warranty, they tend to be more forgiving about your mods. However, you should discuss this with the guy selling you the warranty.
Old 06-26-16, 02:14 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SNiiP3R

My car has 48K miles, and I'm planing to keep it for another 3 years at least. Basically until the new GS comes out. So, I'll be putting roughly another 30K miles. Anything can go wrong obviously, but the most important parts are still covered by the Powertrain Warranty until 70,000.

I know these cars if well maintained and serviced on time, can easily go over 100K with no major issues, there are exceptions of course.

Me personally i always ask myself this question "WHAT IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG" it might not,but "WHAT IF" so i wholeheartedly believe in the extended warranty,for that extra piece of mind,but thats just me,I'd rather have it as oppose to not having it,cause YOU NEVER KNOW...
Old 06-26-16, 02:22 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Me personally i always ask myself this question "WHAT IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG" it might not,but "WHAT IF" so i wholeheartedly believe in the extended warranty,for that extra piece of mind,but thats just me,I'd rather have it as oppose to not having it,cause YOU NEVER KNOW...A basic powertrain warranty usually covers the engine,transmission and drive axle for 3-4yrs at 36,000 & 48,000 miles and of course there are higher priced ones that cover much more for more money...
Old 06-27-16, 05:42 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm with steelers6 on this - on all the relatively expensive cars, I prefer the peace of mind of having that warranty.
On a cheaper car, replacing an electronic part is not that expensive, but on a GS (if you get it done at a dealership), it is relatively more expensive.

Just a couple of warranty claims will often more than make up for the cost of the warranty.

It depends on the number of years / miles. I think 4 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first, would be around $1,000.
Make sure it is 4 years after initial 48 months. Usually, when they sell extended warranty as 7 years or 100k miles, that means initial 4 years factory warranty + 3 years extended warranty.
The price seems right though. Approx 1k is what I paid for 8 years/100k miles.
Old 06-27-16, 06:08 AM
Jeevz
Rookie

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

An eight year, 4 on top of the factory warranty, 75K mile runs around $1,800 right now and the 100K is ~$500 more than that. I just bought one from Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota a couple of weeks ago. Great guy to deal with and very reasonable pricing, jerryj@midwestsuperstore.com.
Old 06-27-16, 07:17 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Me personally I never buy the extended warranties. 1) Any manufacturer defect usually shows up within fatory warranty. 2) Most extended warranties in my experience aren't worth the paper it was written on. Dealer will claim wear and tear or abuse in most cases. At least that's been my experience with people I know.

With that said, if you must have peace of mind make sure you buy factory extended warranty and not some third party extended warranty. And for new car buyers never pay for extended warranty from the start. No need to pay interest on a warranty you can purchase later. My $0.02
Old 06-27-16, 10:51 AM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I bought one on my last Lexus, 07ES. Bought just a few weeks short of the 4 year factory warranty expiring. It cost me roughly 1600 to extend it 3 more years/100k. Ended up using about 1k in warranty work. I sold it a few weeks before that warranty ended for my GS. Overall for me it was worth it. Even though money wise I didn't come out ahead, the peace of mind and 3 more years of Lexus roadside assistance was worth it.
Old 07-05-16, 07:14 AM
TommieBoy
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchased extended warranty on 2008 GS when I bought the car new for $2000. Had over $4000 in repairs before warranty expired. Purchased extended warranty on 2016 GS for $2700. Peace of mind, especially with what could go wrong with all of the electronics on the vehicle? Had a Mercedes before the 2008 GS, did not get extended warranty, bad decision, spent over $8000 after factory warranty expired.
Old 07-05-16, 08:27 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

3rd Gen GS? Buy an extended warranty.

No. Buy several extended warranties.

4th gen? Seen a bunch with high miles, they seem to be holding up exponentially better than the 3rd gen GS.

But I have a rule... Buy a VSA? Your car will never break down. Don't buy a VSA? You'll wish you had.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty, would you get one?