GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Extended warranty, would you get one?

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 09:32 AM
tc1728
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would just get it if you are worried enough to make a post about it...
Old 07-06-16, 04:35 PM
trinhchau
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rozay604
I bought the extended warranty when I first purchase the car and it cost me 2700, it includes 4 free oil change but that's about it I haven't had to bring it in for anything since my bumper to bumper was done. I think the extended only covers engine, tranny and electrical stuff. They'll find a way to ding u somehow

I just cal the Lexus Westminster and the quote for 8 years/100K for 2500$ , or 8years/125k for 3700$ with no deductable, and my car currently has 51K on( not a F sportand 2wd)
Old 07-07-16, 11:04 AM
abyss
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not worth it. These things are very reliable and go a long way without any issues. The issues you will have will not likely be covered by the warranty. It's not true bumper to bumper.
Old 07-07-16, 01:36 PM
trinhchau
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abyss
Not worth it. These things are very reliable and go a long way without any issues. The issues you will have will not likely be covered by the warranty. It's not true bumper to bumper.
Thank for advised!!!!
Old 07-07-16, 02:35 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

A huge part of the reason I bought a Lexus was for their reliability. Personally, I am comfortable owning the car without an extended warranty. You can always have bad luck, of course, but these cars seem to be holding up very well without any widespread/common issues. I'm sure repairs will start popping up as the car gets older, but with any luck it shouldn't be anything too costly.

If I ever went with a German car again, I would absolutely buy an extended warranty or ditch it before the factory warranty was up.
Old 07-07-16, 06:28 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Do you buy warranties in every purchase you make, or none at all. Or do you pick and choose....

The reason I put it like that is because if you put in a jar the money you would have spent on an extended warranty on every car, every appliance etc you buy, the jar will never run out of money. The odds are against you needing the warranty. That's how warranty companies make a profit.

And I think people forget that you have to have repairs more than what you spent on the warranty before it really pays off. In the meantime you are fronting them the money.
Old 07-07-16, 06:40 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz
A huge part of the reason I bought a Lexus was for their reliability. Personally, I am comfortable owning the car without an extended warranty. You can always have bad luck, of course, but these cars seem to be holding up very well without any widespread/common issues. I'm sure repairs will start popping up as the car gets older, but with any luck it shouldn't be anything too costly.

If I ever went with a German car again, I would absolutely buy an extended warranty or ditch it before the factory warranty was up.
Totally agree I had a Bmw 535 which I sold at 52k miles and had bunch of problems already. I'm totally fine with owning the Lexus without warranty actually my other two IS and GX are out and I'm okay with it.
Old 07-07-16, 07:36 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

People buy warranties for all sorts of stuff - particularly heftier car purchases. Most folks will decline an extended warranty and take their chances with a NEW $400 dishwasher with a 90 day warranty but with a $40,0000 USED car, most people want some reassurance that their investment won't require them to shell out excess money or would leave them stranded if something went wrong.

Just the other day my battery died and I called the Lexus roadside assistance 1-800-25-LEXUS #, someone answered and within 20min, i got a boost and my car was back on the road. If my car was not certified, i would have had a bit of a tougher time.

In this instance, i'm glad my car was certified with the warranty and extended assistance program and i'm glad i paid extra for it because my time in that scenario was more valuable than saving the $500 CPO they would have knocked off the top of the price of my GS had i elected to remove it.

Other personal examples included items covered such as a leaky fog lamp and peeling leather which were all covered under warranty. Living in NYC, all sorts of things happen and having the warranty only helps quell the myriad of headaches involved when something does actually go wrong.

In another post a while back, I said i would consider buying a non-CPO GS, however, with my latest experience, I now feel that the extended warranty/certification is worth it!

Last edited by AJLex19; 07-07-16 at 07:57 PM.
Old 07-08-16, 07:55 AM
pqn628
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Mechanically these cars are great. With all the new technology in cars, its worth it to have the warranty. Some may argue that its not needed. With all the rattle issues and NAV issues with the GS and new RX, I would suggest getting it. Not sure if you know how much it cost to replace some of these electronic components but its not cheap. Every car I have had (including Lexus), the steering wheel buttons always go out.

Even if you don't use it, whats 2500 over 8 to 10 years? We drive a 50k car. 2500 shouldn't break your bank.
Old 07-08-16, 08:35 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CottageChz

I agree completely.
Old 07-10-16, 03:55 AM
RA051823
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Self insure yourself. Lexus builds a quality vehicle so don't waste your money on an extended warranty. Instead set the money aside that you were going to purchase the warranty with as a just in case, I bet you come out ahead.
Old 07-24-16, 03:33 PM
RLtoGS350
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pqn628
Mechanically these cars are great. With all the new technology in cars, its worth it to have the warranty. Some may argue that its not needed. With all the rattle issues and NAV issues with the GS and new RX, I would suggest getting it. Not sure if you know how much it cost to replace some of these electronic components but its not cheap. Every car I have had (including Lexus), the steering wheel buttons always go out.

Even if you don't use it, whats 2500 over 8 to 10 years? We drive a 50k car. 2500 shouldn't break your bank.
I would agree. I bought my 2013 GS350 used and within 6 months had sunroof rattles. Had the entire unit replaced...No deductible and worth the $2500 I paid. Peace of mind is an individual decision.

Old 07-24-16, 04:48 PM
steelers6
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Everyone's reasoning is different,and you know what,no one is wrong,wether you buy an extended warranty or not,do as much research on the Lexus you wanna purchase,these forums are pretty informative,talk to a mechanic who has extensive knowledge of the Lexus you wanna buy or maybe you know someone who has one...Most people buy used,and theres nothing wrong with that,because your getting a quality car,one of the very best so whatever decision you make on that extended warranty will be the RIGHT decision,wether or not you ever need it...I can only speak on the LS 460L,the air suspension and the brake actuator may go over time,especially the brake actuator,those are very expensive repairs,as far as the engine,transmission,those 2 parts are pretty much INDESTRUCTIBLE as long as you maintain them properly.I saw a 2008 460L with 208,000 and one with 175,000 miles so that tells you a lot about this particular model...

Last edited by steelers6; 07-24-16 at 05:03 PM.
Old 07-25-16, 07:29 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

If I was buying a Range Rover then I would definelty buy a extended warranty but with Lexus I think I'll take my chances. I have a 2010 RX350 with close to 115k miles that I bought used with 21k on it at the time and so far it's just been tires and oil changes. Oh and a new battery recently. I did blow a fuse a few times here and there but that's because I was trying to mod it. I think it's safe to say you should be alright even if you don't purchase a warranty.
Old 07-26-16, 10:16 AM
MustangSal
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

USAA just quoted me on a "72 mos (from purchase date) ~or~ up to 75K mile on the odometer" and a "72mos (from purchase) or 100K mile" plans for both 2015 GS 350 and a GS 450h. $1800/$2200 for the GS 350, $1300/$1800 for the GS 450h. All things covered but wear-n-tear items and windshields. No deductable.

I respect Toyota reliability and haven't settled in on that a 2015 even needs a EW. We'll see.

Last edited by MustangSal; 07-26-16 at 10:33 AM.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty, would you get one?