Horse power war

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 09:14 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by neilsarkar
Dear Lexus,

Bring back the 3L inline six engine from 1IS, with a turbo/super charger with at least 350 lb-ft of tourque at low rpm.

I shall be ready with my checkbook.

Sincerely yours
I am concerned that by the time Lexus gets around to re-incarnating the 3.0 in-line six with twin turbos, electric vehicles EV will be here from 2020-2025, and EV will totally ambush internal combustion engines ICE for acceleration from 0-60 in just 3 seconds.

For now, a 4GS with Cinturatos is a good alrounder.

Have any of you horsepower lovers ever considered the performance of an electric vehicle?
Because once you test drive a Tesla Model S, V8's, turbos and all ICE engines become irrelevant to battery powered electric vehicles.

Mercedes will release a compact and full size battery powered electric vehicle beginning in 2018, with performance slightly faster than the Tesla Model S.
Then Audi and Porsche will release their electric vehicles.
Just BMW and Lexus waiting to pounce.
As the major manufacturers move into battery powered electric vehicles, they may very well put the final nails in the coffin for Tesla.

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-27-16 at 03:31 PM.
Old 06-27-16, 11:05 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peteharvey
I am concerned that by the time Lexus gets around to re-incarnating the 3.0 in-line six with twin turbos, electric vehicles EV will be here from 2020-2025, and EV will totally ambush internal combustion engines ICE for acceleration from 0-60 in just 3 seconds.

For now, a 4GS with Cinturatos is a good alrounder.

Have any of you horsepower lovers ever considered the performance of an electric vehicle?
Because once you test drive a Tesla Model S, V8's, turbos and all ICE engines become irrelevant to battery powered electric vehicles.

Mercedes will release a compact and full size battery powered electric vehicle beginning in 2018, with performance slightly faster than the Tesla Model S.
Then Audi and Porsche will release their electric vehicles.
Just BMW and Lexus waiting to pounce.
As the major manufacturers move into battery powered electric vehicles, they may very well put the final nails in the coffin for Tesla.

For me the EV doesn't work:
1. Way too long to fully recharge.
2. Poor to nonexistent charge station infrastructure.
3. Poor range.
4. If you want an elegant EV, is Model S or nothing, so very expensive. The rest of the EVs are cartoonish or an outright visual insult.

So, for now, please gimme that 400 lb-ft at 1.5k RPM
Old 06-28-16, 03:13 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Yes, EV won't kick in big time till at least 2020-2025, so still turbos for now...
Old 06-28-16, 06:10 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I might jump into that new Infiniti Q60 with 400HP! It is same price as the GS
Old 06-28-16, 07:11 PM
Runamok81
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by djrabbi
Or, step up to the RC F with 467HP.
Old 06-29-16, 08:19 AM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by djrabbi
The problem with the Q60, esp the sportified editions, is the ride and the steering. Both suck big time. The ride is firm and noisy and the steering has a life of its own. After all, it is a class lower than the GS, basically the IS equivalent.
Old 06-29-16, 08:27 AM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
The problem with the Q60, esp the sportified editions, is the ride and the steering. Both suck big time. The ride is firm and noisy and the steering has a life of its own. After all, it is a class lower than the GS, basically the IS equivalent.
Yeah, I just saw the review of it... I think I will just go back to German... CLS63 or E63 used as it will be same price range as a new RC F or Red Sport.
Old 06-29-16, 09:36 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The way I'm starting to think of things is changing my perspective.

On the one hand, I've had an eye on the Dodge Scat Pack cars. 485hp big block, challenger is a 6spd or the charger with the 8spd, both cars look great and ride great. But in reality, they suck on fuel and of that 485hp, how much are you really using on a regular basis? 200? 250 maybe? Or, how much of the time are you actually using 100% of its capability? Maybe 5% of the time merging onto the highway or showing it off?

It goes back to Clarkson and Top Gear's claim that the fastest car in the world is a rental. With something like a GS Fsport, sure it's down almost 200hp compared to a Scat Pack or AMG/M car, but it's a significantly different animal. I've begun placing more value on a quiet, relaxing, comfortable car that when desired can be pushed a bit. So while it may be down on power, all things being equal you'll be using a significantly higher percentage of the vehicle's capabilities when driving in a spirited fashion.

Now, this isn't to say that Lexus needs to step up a bit. They're lagging behind on introducing turbocharging technology to more models, and once they start to catch up a bit with that they'll start making more power. 306hp in a car the size of the GS is just point-of-fact not enough. I don't think the need exists for a 400hp base model, and neither does just about anyone else. But 350-380hp I think would be sufficient out of a GTDI V6 engine. I only pray they don't do what MB did and start sticking Turbo 4's in the big cars. It just isn't right. I also think the F-sport should have gotten a slight bump of power over the standard GS, would have helped sales I think.

I would like to see Lexus come back out with an 8 cylinder GS, non-F model like they used to have, even if it's RWD only. AMG is now turning toward high-power V8/Turbo AWD which is spectacular, but I don't know that the market is big enough to draw enough people out to spend $80k on them.

DJRabbi, have fun with those CLS63/E63's out of warranty. The reliability factor of the Lexus is starting to draw me much more than the 'measurement contest' of having the badge and the horsepower. Repairs and maintenance on those vehicles even for a capable DIYer, if done properly, is nothing short of shocking.
Old 06-29-16, 02:37 PM
metrathon
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jcat_350
DJRabbi, have fun with those CLS63/E63's out of warranty. The reliability factor of the Lexus is starting to draw me much more than the 'measurement contest' of having the badge and the horsepower. Repairs and maintenance on those vehicles even for a capable DIYer, if done properly, is nothing short of shocking.
The reliability factor is the #1 reason why Lexus target market is so old, and the other way around. A bless and a curse.
Old 06-29-16, 02:49 PM
Silver09IS
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree I hope that theres gonna be a powerboost cause I want this car