GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

From Acura to Lexus...

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-16, 05:11 AM
Cobra611
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts
Default From Acura to Lexus...

I'm not a Lexus owner, but have been a member of this forum for a few years. Enjoy looking at the pics of members cars and what they've done with them. Still learning about the brand.

Five years ago, I was looking at the IS250 but I couldn't swing a deal. So, I ended up with an Acura TL SH-AWD. I love the car and have relatively good luck with it (helps being good friends with the service manager at my local Acura dealer). It's an absolute blast to drive!! I've got about 150k miles (and still runs strong) so, I'm playing with the idea of getting something newer. I've always liked the IS250 or IS350, but I'm really liking the GS350. It's a gorgeous car with all the fun stuff I've been looking for in car, that I can't get with Acura. A local dealer has a '13 F-Sport up for sale for what I consider a decent asking price.

I just wanted to ask what the opinions are of some of you GS owners and would you recommend the car? Are there any issues the car has faced over the years?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 06-22-16, 05:38 AM
Nasrul3698
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I've read several reviews of the GS and I have to say, it's underrated. You can actually get a faster or more technologically advanced car, for example the Audi A6, the Cadillas CTS-V or the BMW 535i, but you'll be missing out on the comfort and the reliability the car offers. Also surprisingly, the car handles better than the 535i and the A6. The GS also holds the second-hand value quite well too.
After driving the GS 350 F Sport for a couple of years, I realised that it was definitely worth getting this car over the others even though there are other options. The comfort it provides is exceptional, probably the best for a sports luxury sedan. The handling is also top notch even though its nearly 4k lbs. I have tp say, the V6 might be a little under powered, but it still packs a punch.
The GS car destroys every car in its segment in terms of reliability. My dad had the previous 3rd gen Lexus GS 300 (110k+ km) and the only problem it had was that the AC wasn't cold.
In the end, it depends on you, if you want a sporty car with cool gadgets, there are many different options out there. But if comfort and reliability is your concern, then the GS is the way to go. Just make sure to get the F Sport haha.

Last edited by Nasrul3698; 06-22-16 at 01:51 PM.
Old 06-22-16, 05:41 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

really depend on your budget
Old 06-22-16, 07:35 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

Coming from a 2003 Acura TL-S myself, I have no regret on switching over to a 2011 GS350 back in 2012. I like the GS so much that we just bought a left over 2015 GS350-F crafted line. So now we have two GS but the 2011 will be traded for an RX once the new design is more stable.
For the 4 years I've been running the '11 GS, the only thing that was out of the maintenance routine was the rear calipers intermittingly seizing. I bough the OEM parts from MyLparts.com and had it done for $600. This includes all the new brake pads and rotor re-surfacing. Compare to the '03 TL-S I had, at its 4th year, I had already been through a couple of ball joints, calipers, and a transmission recall.

The 4th gen GS is overall improved over the 3rd gen. The only thing I miss is the adaptive headlamps on my '11 that did not get carry over to the '15. Everything else is an improvement.
Did you ask for a test drive on that '13 f-sport? I really like the 4th gen GS interior(where I spent my time when I'm driving ) and the ergonomics.
Old 06-22-16, 09:21 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Before my current 2013 GS-Fsport I had a 2006 Acura TL. I really liked the TL the whole time I owned it. To improve handling I put in sway bars and other small stuff but wanted to keep it mostly stock. It ran well and was reliable.
Now that I have moved to the Lexus, it feels like I moved up a class in handling, comfort, styling and performance. I am glad I made the choice to get the GS-Fsport vs. the 535 M-sport for reliability and options and saved a few pennies in the process. When it is time to get another car (in 10 years), I will likely move up to the LS line.
Old 06-22-16, 10:29 AM
Hooksta
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I owned a 2006 TL Tech package that I loved. I used it for my sales car. I sold it once I stopped traveling as much and purchased a used 2008 528i BMW that was quite loaded with just about everything minus a large engine. As others stated I could tell I moved up a class. The BMW felt heavier, more solid, and handled every bit as good as you have heard. I think it had 20-way adjustable seats....whatever they were they were insanely comfortable. It had heads up display, power folding mirrors, automatic wipers, etc...I really loved that car.

Unfortunately I went back into traveling sales and I was above the 50,000 mile point and didn't want to face all the BMW maintenance and up keep costs. So I went back to a 2013 Acura TL tech package. The car was powerful, reliable, got great gas mileage, had an awesome stereo but I hated it. I truly thought the car handled like crap. Perhaps it was because I had been spoiled by the BMW or perhaps I should have gotten the SH-AWD like you have today. All I know is I wasn't enjoying it. I'm not sure if you read Consumer Reports but Acura comes across as really reliable (lots of red in each year's ranking) but they actually score the car pretty low.

I was looking to get myself another sales car...and that's challenging trying to find a car that is nice but you don't mind killing it with miles. Luckily I found a 2013 Riviera Red Lexus GS 350 F Sport AWD with 37,000 miles for $30,900 that everyone I show it to thinks it is brand new. By far the cleanest used car I've ever seen. I'm loving this car. This gives me what I loved about the BMW with Toyota reliability, and with more features than my Acura TL for the cost of a new V6 Honda Accord...and I picked up AWD! The ONLY thing I would warn you about since you are coming from an Acura is that the Lexus GS (non-ML) stereo has 12 speakers and not one is worth a damn at producing bass. Acura gets it right with their ELS system so I'm not sure what they were thinking with this car. I'm having a sub added to it soon and hoping that will fix that shortcoming.

Like I said maybe I would have felt a little differently with the SH-AWD, or maybe the BMW spoiled me. I did love my 2006 TL.

Edit: the gas mileage on the GS350 surprised me. It's not very good.
Old 06-22-16, 12:51 PM
Dignityy
Driver School Candidate

I passed on the IS350 because it felt so tight in the cockpit, GS350 just seemed about the right amount of room I needed. Not sure if you mentioned it but I would for sure pass on the 250, motor is to small.
Old 06-22-16, 09:39 PM
EnvyDiz
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

Dang everyone here used to own a TL once in their life time including me lol
Old 06-22-16, 10:30 PM
djrabbi
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Had a 03 TL-S here lol
Old 06-22-16, 11:03 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

I came from a 2011 TSX Wagon.

So much for that.
Old 06-23-16, 05:08 AM
Cobra611
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for all the great replies, I appreciate it! Unfortunately, the sales person I was dealing with, called to inform me that the car had sold :-( The car had everything, with about 30k miles and they were asking $33k. My search will continue. Thanks again!
Old 06-23-16, 06:03 AM
jonathanz
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

i had 2 2003 TL type S with A-spec body kit, a blue and black just cause i like their style, but both of them i had to rebuild transmission and approx $2k EACH! not cheap!
then i moved to 2006 G35 coupe manual, it was fun but felt cheap- sold. then purchase a 2014 MDX and leasing Gs350 F sport. now i'm missing the 6 speeds fun, looking into a s2000 right now, might trade in the GS.
Old 06-23-16, 09:00 AM
EnvyDiz
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

used to own a 08 TL Type S myself
Old 06-23-16, 12:59 PM
Boomin
Racer

Received 397 Likes on 241 Posts

I'm considering the new rdx for my wife after her IS lease is over or the Pilot touring
Old 06-23-16, 03:53 PM
KeepItLit
Driver School Candidate

A few years ago I was on the hunt to buy an 08 TL Type S. I test drove a few and even put in an offer on one which the owner didn't accept. So I just waited and In September 2014 I bought a 2014 GS350 F Sport with only 8k miles. The car is so much fun to drive and I'm so glad I didn't get a Type S. Now I want an ISF though!

Quick Reply: From Acura to Lexus...