GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone put a dash cam in their GS350?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-16, 11:00 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

Mine can't record when the car is off cause the cigarette lighter is off too.

And mine has the option to connect a second (rear) cam too that will record to the same SD card.
Old 07-18-16, 02:37 AM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by peteharvey
ItzFilyO, does that mean that yours can still record while your car is parked and locked up?

Also, does anyone know if it is actually better to have two separate units of dash cams, one for the front, and one for the rear, thus recording onto two separate micro SD cards, with two separate power supplies?
As opposed to a single unit with a front and a rear camera connected together?

https://dashcamtalk.com/lukas-lk-7950-wd/
https://dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr6...Known_problems

Sounds like the Lukas has superior rear resolution, and a faster bit rate for smoother video, and has greater reliability than the Blackvue, but the Lukas has a built-in LCD screen, hence it has a huge foot print in the front.

Also any idea if the rear Lukas or Blackvue units interferes with the rear motorised sunshade?
just installed the blackvue 650 and the rear sunshade doesn't hit the rear cam.

but I am noticing its somehow interfering with the rear view mirror garage opener. its still opesn when I'm facing the garage. but no longer closes when the car is facing away from the door.... weird
Old 07-18-16, 08:57 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakersfan
but I am noticing its somehow interfering with the rear view mirror garage opener. its still opesn when I'm facing the garage. but no longer closes when the car is facing away from the door.... weird
The front camera has a WiFi radio (that allows you to connect your phone to it) - if that is on, it may be interfering with your garage door opener's signal. You can configure the WiFi to be off by default, and you can turn it on (using the button on the camera) when you need it. Try it this way and see if that resolves the issue
Old 07-18-16, 10:03 AM
iJDMTOY
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought a budget one from Taotronics to try out a year and a half ago, not expecting too much. So far so good. I believe there is an additional slot for SD card as well.
Old 07-18-16, 10:40 AM
ULTiMaX99
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Although a few people here have noted the blackvue doesn't interfere with the rear sunshade, mine just BARELY grazes it.

Originally Posted by peteharvey
ItzFilyO, does that mean that yours can still record while your car is parked and locked up?

Also, does anyone know if it is actually better to have two separate units of dash cams, one for the front, and one for the rear, thus recording onto two separate micro SD cards, with two separate power supplies?
As opposed to a single unit with a front and a rear camera connected together?

https://dashcamtalk.com/lukas-lk-7950-wd/
https://dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr6...Known_problems

Sounds like the Lukas has superior rear resolution, and a faster bit rate for smoother video, and has greater reliability than the Blackvue, but the Lukas has a built-in LCD screen, hence it has a huge foot print in the front.

Also any idea if the rear Lukas or Blackvue units interferes with the rear motorised sunshade?
Old 07-29-16, 07:51 AM
Lakersfan
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jj14
The front camera has a WiFi radio (that allows you to connect your phone to it) - if that is on, it may be interfering with your garage door opener's signal. You can configure the WiFi to be off by default, and you can turn it on (using the button on the camera) when you need it. Try it this way and see if that resolves the issue
Actually i realised its the sunscreen shade thats effecting it. Lol

Id just never used it prior to testing to see if tbe shade would hit the camera.
Old 08-01-16, 11:41 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts

I found an easy way to get a constant 12V. I removed the panel under the glove box and the panel at the end of the dash on the passenger side:

The connector appears to be unused and has the constant voltage. I installed the hard wire kit from Amazon

Old 08-01-16, 11:42 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

I crimped a spade terminal on the kit's power wire and used a self tapping screw for the ground wire (on the metal in the side dash panel area).

Old 08-01-16, 11:45 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

I routed the USB micro cable up the A pillar and under the edge of the headliner lip (where it meets the windshield).

Old 08-01-16, 11:47 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Routed the wire under the console area and to the camera. The hard wire kit has an inline fuse and protection circuitry to keep the car's battery from draining too low.

Old 08-01-16, 12:26 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 08-01-16, 12:35 PM
phillip123
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, good job for the pics, if anyone had any trouble installing their cam before, they won't now!
Old 08-01-16, 01:08 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

LOL, it was a LOT easier than I thought it would be. Kudos to Lexus for making everything easy to remove/reinstall. I'd swear if this were a BMW, you'd be purchasing new clips and/or gluing things back together due to broken pieces.
Old 07-28-17, 05:46 AM
joez3434
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What about switched power?

I just purchased a 2017 GS 350 and want to install my dash cam, however I don't want it to stay on all the time. I know the above said that it was a constant 12V, but before I go pulling trim panels do you know if there is a switched 12v source under the glove box?
Any help would be appreciated!
Thank you for the great write-up
-Joe
Old 07-28-17, 08:56 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Joe, for a switched 12V power, did you simply want to plug it into your central console bin 12V cigarette socket?
No need to hardwire unless you really want to.

Quick Reply: Anyone put a dash cam in their GS350?