GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Anyone put a dash cam in their GS350?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-16, 02:36 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by ttoan
Here was a quick set of photos this morning. Install was easy. Pop the console off and solder +12V and ground wires to the harness.

My setup is similar to this install but I have it sitting a little lower so it is almost fully hidden behind the mirror. I also have it so the screen turns off after a short period of time so it does not gain any attention.
Old 06-24-16, 02:38 PM
Igor911
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Davenlei
My setup is similar to this install but I have it sitting a little lower so it is almost fully hidden behind the mirror. I also have it so the screen turns off after a short period of time so it does not gain any attention.
How did you guys mount it to the windshield? Is it double sided tape?

Also, for power - did you guys just cut off the cig adaptor and hard wire?

Any reasons why i shouldn't consider this model?
Old 06-24-16, 03:23 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Igor911

Double sided tape on both cameras

Used this fuse tap for power from the passenger side internal fuse box. Zero modifications to the vehicle and can be removed simply by pulling out and replacing fuse:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As for choosing this over any other cam - it's up to you. Do the research and see if it fits your needs.

Best regards
Old 06-24-16, 03:37 PM
ttoan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The camera comes with a plastic mount bracket that sticks with double sided tape to the windshield. Then the camera slips into the bracket and is removable.

For power, I tapped into the rain sensor. You can tap anywhere that has 12V power source. I stripped the wired back and solder the capacitor wiring kit (sold separate from camera, link from previous post). The wiring kit has an inline fuse. I tucked all the wiring in the overhead console nicely. There is a write up somewhere floating around in the IS model forum that can be used as a guide.

Choose a model that you think it's best. From my experience this works perfect as intended. Barely noticeable and some thought it came stock with the car.
Old 06-27-16, 03:25 PM
Igor911
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ttoan
The camera comes with a plastic mount bracket that sticks with double sided tape to the windshield. Then the camera slips into the bracket and is removable.

For power, I tapped into the rain sensor. You can tap anywhere that has 12V power source. I stripped the wired back and solder the capacitor wiring kit (sold separate from camera, link from previous post). The wiring kit has an inline fuse. I tucked all the wiring in the overhead console nicely. There is a write up somewhere floating around in the IS model forum that can be used as a guide.

Choose a model that you think it's best. From my experience this works perfect as intended. Barely noticeable and some thought it came stock with the car.
thanks, but one more question - this camera doesn't show the car speed on video, does it?
Old 06-29-16, 06:35 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by rockydog
Used this fuse tap for power from the passenger side internal fuse box. Zero modifications to the vehicle and can be removed simply by pulling out and replacing fuse:
Which fuse did you use on the passenger side?

thanks, but one more question - this camera doesn't show the car speed on video, does it?
Not sure about this camera, but on the blackvue 650 2CH, I can disable the speed overlay on the video.
Old 06-29-16, 07:41 AM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Which fuse did you use on the passenger side?

It's identified as Fuse #6 on page 438 of the manual. Heated steering wheel. 15 amps/switched.

By the way on my 2015 the fuses are low profile.
Old 06-29-16, 07:59 AM
jj14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rockydog
It's identified as Fuse #6 on page 438 of the manual. Heated steering wheel. 15 amps/switched.
Thanks. I looked thru' the manual, and couldn't quite figure out which one to use. Afte that, I realized that getting to the fuse box itself is a pain. One other CL member had suggested removing/loosening the panel below the glove compartment cover, but haven't been able to do that yet.

Will try it this weekend.
Old 06-29-16, 08:50 AM
Tetguy
Driver

Originally Posted by RDKohler
It's not in my GS, but I have the Street Guardian in my 911. With the right SD card it can store 24+ hours of crystal clear video. You can also check out the dash cam forums for other options.

https://www.amazon.com/Street-Guardi...guardian&psc=1
I have the identical unit with the hard wire kit in my ES. Easy install 8 months ago.I have a black dash and little to no dash reflection without the Cpl filter. I was not able to to find a good setting with the CPL for day and night. I found the solution was to adjust the height of the camera lens. It had a lot to do with the quality of the video. I have the lens set to just above horizontal: resulting in a great picture and very little glare in very bright sunlight:
The reason most of us buy dashcams are numerous. Most will involve identification of vehicles or people who may inflict damage to you or the vehicle either willfully or accidentally. Not all dashcams are created equal. If you can`t read the license plate when its too sunny, cloudy or at night with and without street lights you probably wasted money. Some are good at 1 or 2 scenarios but are really lacking at the remainder.
Good website to visit is https://dashcamtalk.com/.There you will find all the help needed on ratings, installation pricing etc.
You drive a Lexus. Use the best for a few dollars more.
Old 07-10-16, 11:55 AM
Kane007
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where did you guys hardwire your dash cam power wires to? I see a fuse box in the driver side near my feet, under the dash. Should I tap into this? Did you guys route your wires from around the windshield, down the pillar and into the dash next to the speaker? Anyone with any instructions and/or pics of the install would greatly appreciated!
Old 07-12-16, 06:43 PM
Kane007
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane007
Where did you guys hardwire your dash cam power wires to? I see a fuse box in the driver side near my feet, under the dash. Should I tap into this? Did you guys route your wires from around the windshield, down the pillar and into the dash next to the speaker? Anyone with any instructions and/or pics of the install would greatly appreciated!
Anybody? Anybody at all?
Old 07-13-16, 09:41 AM
shurik74
Advanced

Received 57 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Kane007
Anybody? Anybody at all?
There is a 'search forum' option. This question was discussed many times, here is one thread

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...hlight=dashcam
Old 07-13-16, 02:43 PM
RDKohler
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe so, if you have the GPS hooked up to it.
Old 07-14-16, 03:29 PM
ItzFilyO
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,046 Likes on 661 Posts

This is my Thinkware F750 with built in GPS, it records speed and shows where u've been on a map on the PC app. I just ran the long cable through the roof liner, down the B pillar and under the front passenger seat, into the cigarette lighter inside the middle compartment.

Old 07-17-16, 09:37 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

ItzFilyO, does that mean that yours can still record while your car is parked and locked up?

Also, does anyone know if it is actually better to have two separate units of dash cams, one for the front, and one for the rear, thus recording onto two separate micro SD cards, with two separate power supplies?
As opposed to a single unit with a front and a rear camera connected together?

https://dashcamtalk.com/lukas-lk-7950-wd/
https://dashcamtalk.com/blackvue-dr6...Known_problems

Sounds like the Lukas has superior rear resolution, and a faster bit rate for smoother video, and has greater reliability than the Blackvue, but the Lukas has a built-in LCD screen, hence it has a huge foot print in the front.

Also any idea if the rear Lukas or Blackvue units interferes with the rear motorised sunshade?

Quick Reply: Anyone put a dash cam in their GS350?