GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Bloomberg doesn't like the 2016 GS350 but tolerates the FSport

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-16, 03:43 PM
trinidad56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone else have a collection of Bloomberg magazines as a car fan kid growing up? Yeah me either. I could careless what the rags say especially the twonk writing for bloomberg. Yes the infotainment isn't a click wheel deely like the others, but it gets the job done. 5.7 Secs to 60 MPH is nothing to sneeze at. Since when did our mundane appliances have to rip 60 mph in under 5 secs to be considered fast? To me the F-sport was the best all around performer for my tastes. Yes others may pull more G's on the skid pad or go faster in the 1/4 mile in the end the Lexus is the better value.
Old 06-21-16, 03:49 PM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Bloomberg = Fish Wrap
Old 06-21-16, 04:11 PM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

5.7 seconds is respectable, but the car acts like it does not want to be subjected to that. You either have to drive in Sport plus, and/or constantly be flooring the accelerator. I had. 2010 GS that I was always impressed with how responsive and eager it was. The 2014 was just the opposite.
Old 06-21-16, 04:19 PM
trinidad56
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jjscsix
5.7 seconds is respectable, but the car acts like it does not want to be subjected to that. You either have to drive in Sport plus, and/or constantly be flooring the accelerator. I had. 2010 GS that I was always impressed with how responsive and eager it was. The 2014 was just the opposite.
You're right the car feels much more lethargic than it should I blame the transmission/ecu tuning. Once the car is in Sport+ it livens up. Ive taken mine up to the canyons and it was quite the treat in Sport+ mode. Very responsive and eager to rev. In eco mode its out right neutered.
Old 06-21-16, 04:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I've found the transmission gearing in most cars today is lethargic, I blame fuel economy tuning.

The article is absurd. Somebody thinks they're Jeremy Clarkson...but unfortunately they write for the auto section of Bloomberg. Next I'll be getting my gardening advice from Yacht and Powerboat Monthly lol

If you look at the links below from the same author, the titles say it all:

The Lexus 450h Is the Mom Jeans of Luxury Crossovers

Review: The Lexus NX is a Personality-Free Luxury Crossover

The 2016 Lexus RX 350 F Sport Has Had too Much Plastic Surgery

Clearly her bias shows. Clarkson has a bias too obviously, but he's legitimate and actually amusing lol

Last edited by SW17LS; 06-21-16 at 04:31 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 07:52 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

The good news is that the market has a variety of customers and they have varying values and expectations from their products. German cars have a long history of being "driver's cars" and it shows in both the technical data and driving experience. Simply put, Lexus targets a different market segment. While Audi has made strides in reliability, BMW has a ways to go. And 4 years later, Audi still hasn't fixed (or seemingly even improved at all!) their offset frontal collision performance. So watch out when racing from light-to-light on the streets of NYC.

I would not defend my GS 350 in raw performance or technical metrics against those cars. What I will say is that it is comfortable, the ergonomics work for me, it drives as well as I need, it's as fast as I need, and it has a track record (hoping mine holds up) of reliability.

Quite frankly, I'm glad I no longer own a BMW because almost every component that doesn't make a journalist's spec sheet gave me issues and cost me a lot of money to repair, sometimes repeatedly.
Old 06-22-16, 07:14 AM
situman
Pole Position

Received 162 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I've found the transmission gearing in most cars today is lethargic, I blame fuel economy tuning.

The article is absurd. Somebody thinks they're Jeremy Clarkson...but unfortunately they write for the auto section of Bloomberg. Next I'll be getting my gardening advice from Yacht and Powerboat Monthly lol

If you look at the links below from the same author, the titles say it all:

The Lexus 450h Is the Mom Jeans of Luxury Crossovers

Review: The Lexus NX is a Personality-Free Luxury Crossover

The 2016 Lexus RX 350 F Sport Has Had too Much Plastic Surgery

Clearly her bias shows. Clarkson has a bias too obviously, but he's legitimate and actually amusing lol
Positive articles will be forgotten. It's the negative articles that get's people talking. Her objectives achieved. Any reference to Bloomberg is a win for Bloomberg.
Old 06-22-16, 07:19 AM
praetor
Racer

Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Nothing new. Reviewers seem to always be on the deep end or shallow end. Very few can give honest reviews. They either fall in love with a car or nit pick something really stupid and make it seem the car is the biggest POS on the planet. i.e. The GS350 only has a 6 speed transmission, it is undriveable! LOL

Check out review by CNet guy. LOL

Old 06-22-16, 07:37 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by situman
Positive articles will be forgotten. It's the negative articles that get's people talking. Her objectives achieved. Any reference to Bloomberg is a win for Bloomberg.
Correct indeed.

So speaking of positive articles, this one is still one of my favorites (though it's now becoming quite dated), as I find it does a great job of putting into words how I feel about my GS.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/six-c...luxury-sedans/

Lieberman: “Great steering. Balanced, communicative, properly weighted. Just a joy to drive. Neutral without being leaden. Very Mazda-like, in fact. And I say all this having driven the car in Sport instead of Sport Plus.” Evans: “This is a Lexus? Really impressed with the handling and confidence in the car. Holds the road much better than expected. Can really fling it at the corners.” Martinez: “The Sport Plus algorithm allows for a proper testing of its grip thresholds, and on the loop’s tight technical zigzags, it was just right. Only once did any traction control light flash, and, unlike the Infiniti, shifts were clean, fast, and when you wanted them. Also unlike the Infiniti: The Lexus felt way smaller than it was. Like, really smaller.”
In driving feel, the Lexus does exactly what you want it to do — it shrinks around you. Yet, when it comes to pampering, it opens up, inviting you into the richest, most aesthetically pleasing cabin in its class. Lieberman: “Gorgeous interior. Love the metalwork, especially the volume and tune *****. Feels like they’re off my old Marantz Quadradial. Extremely solid and finely made.” Martinez: “From the classy analog clock to the soft leather lining the seats, center console, and doors to the near-perfect sport steering wheel and massive and clear multimedia display, this Lexus oozes modern sophistication.” Evans: “This is my favorite Lexus interior ever. So refined and stylish. Not boring and not overdone.”

Here are some numbers to consider: 0-60 in 5.4 seconds; the quarter mile in 14.0 at 101.0 mph; lateral acceleration of 0.94 g; figure eight of 25.4 seconds at 0.71 g; EPA fuel economy of 19/28; and observed mpg of 18.9. Not first, not last; just right in the sweet spot. Only 60-0 braking, at 110 feet, was behind the curve, but only by 4 feet versus the Audi and BMW. Then there’s price. At $58,800 as tested, the GS F Sport, again, sits comfortably in the sweet spot.
Old 06-22-16, 02:37 PM
GeoFSPORT
Driver

Received 66 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
Correct indeed.

So speaking of positive articles, this one is still one of my favorites (though it's now becoming quite dated), as I find it does a great job of putting into words how I feel about my GS.

This makes me feel good about my purchase and I completely agree! The transmission on my G37 left a lot to be desired. Although the GS isn't the fastest car, I think it more thank makes up for it with exterior/interior aesthetics, luxury, and comfort. Also I love the peace of mind of quality and reliability that the brand brings.

I do wish there was more aftermarket support though. From what I have found, we are only left with basic bolt-ons. To my knowledge that doesn't even include a high-flow cat.
Old 06-23-16, 09:31 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JDR76
Correct indeed.

Old article. Haven't the other cars changed a lot more than the GS since?
Old 06-23-16, 09:45 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by abbeyrd
Old article. Haven't the other cars changed a lot more than the GS since?
Correct, as I noted.

However, as I stated, the reason I liked the article is not the other cars, it's that their comments about the GS sum up how I feel about mine.
Old 06-23-16, 10:10 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by jjscsix
That is the impression I got when test driving a new GS350. It felt lethargic and not very responsive. It made more noise when pressing the accelerator but I was not impressed with acceleration or power. It felt more like 270hp then 311hp. It was in sport mode, I thought it had to be in some kind of power robbing econo mode. When I drove a 3rd Gen GS350 it felt more responsive and seemed to have more power. My GS430 felt much more responsive and felt faster with 300hp and only 5 speeds.

The last GS350 did 0-60 in 5.2-5.3 seconds, why is the new one half a second slower in most tests with more gears and more power. The last IS350 could do 0-60 in 4.8 seconds in some tests(I think 4.6 in one) and low 5 second range in most tests where the current one is more around 5.5 seconds from most tests, I have not seen it dip below 5 seconds.
Old 06-23-16, 10:56 AM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

8 speed vs 6 speed was a bad idea. You don't need that many gears. You'll be in 4th gear before you reach 60mph. Stupid.
Old 06-24-16, 04:17 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jtrue28
8 speed vs 6 speed was a bad idea. You don't need that many gears. You'll be in 4th gear before you reach 60mph. Stupid.
I don't really think eight speeds was the problem. As someone above mentioned, they just tune it the way they see fit and for Fuel Economy ratings. I've had three other cars with eight speeds that were all tuned differently.

I had a 2015 Audi A7 and now I have a 2016 - both identically equipped. The 2016 is rated two MPG higher than the 2015 and guess what? The transmission is more lethargic unless in sport mode, I can feel it shift into second gear sooner, and it has more hesitation off idle. Easy to see part of where the two MPG came from.

BTW, we traded our 2014 GS for a 2016 GX460. It has a six speed auto and it too feels lazy. But I will say this, like our GS, every time I drive the GX (my wife's driver) I immediately am impressed at what polished manners it has. Everything about it feels like quality and refinement.

Last edited by jjscsix; 06-24-16 at 04:21 AM.

Quick Reply: Bloomberg doesn't like the 2016 GS350 but tolerates the FSport