GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Not happy with noise level - is there any way to make GS quieter?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-16, 10:01 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Going from Dunlop Sport Maxx to Continental ExtremeContact DW's was like night and day in the noise dept.
Much smoother ride too.

Thought I was in an LS.
Old 06-20-16, 10:55 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

I get quite a lot of tire noise from this car. Much more than any of my other cars. I guess the crappy bridgestones are to blame. The funny thing is the road noise is not a constant hum but more like a "wah, wah, wah, wah" noise from rotating and gets faster the faster I go.
Old 06-20-16, 02:44 PM
MTerrence
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dealership got back to me on the windows - the upgrade is doable, given that they use the same motor and run channel. However, it'd be about $1,400 to get them upgraded on my car ($500 per window plus 1.5 hours of labour per side). This would probably be a bit under $1000 in the USA.

Seems laminated windows weren't offered at all in Canada - which, considering that they were part of the "Cold Weather" package in the United States, is kind of bizarre. Rumour has it that it gets a bit cold around here. I guess I could always nab them from a pick and pull if I was ever down in California, hah.

Given that the tempered windows are actually pretty good and there's really not that much in the way of wind noise, I think I'll leave the whole laminated windows thing on the table unless (heaven forfend) something tragic happens to my existing tempered ones such that they're covered by insurance.
Old 06-20-16, 02:49 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I agree. It would not be worth $1400 in my opinion.

I am still very unclear about what cars get the dual pane windows and which ones don't.
Old 06-20-16, 03:09 PM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Save your money. I have the double pane windows as part of the luxury package on my 2015. Also have Michelin MXM4 tires on 19 inch OEM rims. I get a lot of noise and I've been attributing it to the low profile tires on the 19 inch rims. My GX460 (the predecessor of my GS) was far quieter and it had a V8.
Old 06-20-16, 04:27 PM
trinidad56
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Going from Dunlop Sport Maxx to Continental ExtremeContact DW's was like night and day in the noise dept.
Much smoother ride too.

Thought I was in an LS.
I went through 3 sets of those on my WRX. Good to know they make them in F-sport fitment. Amazing tires at a great price, can't beat that!
Old 06-20-16, 09:51 PM
MTerrence
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by rockydog
Save your money. I have the double pane windows as part of the luxury package on my 2015. Also have Michelin MXM4 tires on 19 inch OEM rims. I get a lot of noise and I've been attributing it to the low profile tires on the 19 inch rims. My GX460 (the predecessor of my GS) was far quieter and it had a V8.
Yep. I'm going to go with Road Noise Reduction, Plan B: Mark Levinson.
Old 06-20-16, 10:27 PM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by MTerrence
I've been using the Primacy MXM4. I have yet to find a tire as quiet as my old Primacy MXV4s, but that might have to do with the fact that they were 205s and not 235s...

When it comes time to replace my tires, I'll have a hard choice to make between picking something that's quiet and comfortable and something that kicks ***. I bet the car would be an absolute hoot to drive with a set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports!
I've put plenty of miles in my pilots and yes, on a rwd car with rear wheel steering, they are pretty kickass.
Old 06-21-16, 01:47 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

I have tried my best to improve the NVH just like you.
In the end, I just accept that the 4GS was deliberately designed to be sports-oriented luxury, or sports-luxury, and with all the compromises that come with such designs:

"The first, says the company, started 23 years ago [1989] and essentially involved establishing the brand in the luxury market [LS400]. The second phase expanded the brand into the full-line luxury automaker it is today. The third phase is where Lexus stirs in the emotion and passion the company has lacked for much of its history. Indeed, we’ve found evidence of a pulse in the new GS, which is every bit a Lexus in the traditional sense but also dials up the dynamics to satisfy enthusiasts."

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/lex...al-photos-news

In truth, as we dial up the dynamics - we compromise on the luxury...

Last edited by peteharvey; 06-21-16 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 05:09 PM
y2tony3
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree... even before I dropped it and put 20's on, it was pretty loud and I had to try and drown the noise by turning up my radio. Sounds like there is air coming in but not sure from where
Old 06-22-16, 01:32 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by y2tony3
I have to agree... even before I dropped it and put 20's on, it was pretty loud and I had to try and drown the noise by turning up my radio. Sounds like there is air coming in but not sure from where
The majority of the 'air' noise was coming from the moon roof for me. I took it in and they replaced the rubber seal. I get no air noise anymore but now I hear the road noise.
Old 06-24-16, 10:10 PM
namzug
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by metrathon
In my mind it's like this:

#1 - '17 E Class. The new E Class trumps everything. I haven't had a chance to drive it, but the reviews sound really good (pardon the pun). It's also a great deal more expensive than the competition.
#2 - GS non F-Sport, with Serenity or smth similar.
#3 - 5 Series *without* RFTs.
#4 - Genesis (or G8)
#5 - A6

I find the GS to have very low wind noise, just a whisper at 80mph. Also the suspension is very refined. The only problem are the tires.

You should drive the Buick LaCrosse, just for comparison sake. Or if you can do something smaller, the '17 A4. Your GS will sound like a convertible afterwards
Yep my 2015 GS350 Fsport is pretty loud. Probably because of the larger tires.
It is much louder (mostly wind noise and road) than last two MBZ E350 sports (2012 and 14) and 2008 Infiniti M35.
Today while driving I though I left my rear window or sunroof opened because of the noise. But I did not so I just raised the volume of the ML stereo. Worked for me. I also noticed when I back up with the stereo on I hear what sounds like waves in my back seats coming from the rear speakers. I can only guess it's the fake exhaust notes coming in.
Old 06-24-16, 11:34 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by namzug
Yep my 2015 GS350 Fsport is pretty loud. Probably because of the larger tires.
It is much louder (mostly wind noise and road) than last two MBZ E350 sports (2012 and 14) and 2008 Infiniti M35.
Today while driving I though I left my rear window or sunroof opened because of the noise. But I did not so I just raised the volume of the ML stereo. Worked for me. I also noticed when I back up with the stereo on I hear what sounds like waves in my back seats coming from the rear speakers. I can only guess it's the fake exhaust notes coming in.
What is that sound coming from the back area Is it the humming from the speakers I don't think so. Anyone would like to chime in.
Old 06-25-16, 06:49 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,521 Likes on 1,819 Posts

There are no "fake exhaust noises" coming through the speakers of a GS. There is a baffle in the intake that creates a real sound under heavy acceleration. it does nothing while backing up.

I experienced none of this in my GS lol
Old 06-25-16, 07:12 AM
rockydog
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a Lexus "Golden Opportunity" for vendors - aftermarket noise cancellation. A device that could be backfitted into the stereo harness. Turn on for the long drives, turn off when you want engine roar and road noise.

Quick Reply: Not happy with noise level - is there any way to make GS quieter?