GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

2015 vs 2016

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-16, 01:36 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by fuddyduddy
It seems strange we are discussing the merits of HID vs. LED and being so polar about it. These two are much more similar as compared to halogen.
Perhaps on this car that is true, as I have acknowledged not seeing these LEDs at night.

Some of the LED headlights reviewed by IIHS tested very poorly and had results similar or worse to halogens. Their only saving grace was auto high beams. Keep in mind some halogen designs test better or worse. Unfortunately not many buyers consider the actual performance as part of their purchase, often buyers talk only of their appearance.

I rejected an ES due to poor HID headlamps. I bet it was just poor aim, but when the salesman offered nothing by way of improvement, I passed on the car. Good thing, as it led me to my GS!
Old 05-29-16, 11:15 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...oor-sedan/2016

IIHS found the halogen lights better than the LED, though both tested poorly. The saving grace on the LED was active high beam.
Old 05-30-16, 05:20 AM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by namzug
I got my 2015 Fsport RWD fully loaded except HUD in DEC15 for $42,668 with window sticker of $57,89(less tax). Car was built in June15. It took over a week to negotiate all over SOCAL but I could not believe the dealership in San Diego (my hometown) beat everyone at the last minute.
I first started with the brokers in L.A., then dealerships. Once I got their best I blasted emails to the dealerships in San Diego. A couple of days later the flood gates opened with emails. Most replies stated that although there prices were higher their customer support was even higher. That was in November, then one of the more honest brokers told me to wait until 7 DEC for new specials. I'm glad I did because during the first week of DEC the bidding war started. Finally around 6 DEC I was contacted by some internet salesperson from Escondido Lexus (San DIego) reported that they will beat any deal if I come down. First of all I never come in without a solid quote in writing. I said no until I got lowest price confirmation. The girl then directed me to the GM and he asked for lowest quote. Luckily the broker in L.A. sent me sticker and his price(but left out down payment). I email to GM and he said he could beat it but I would have to come in the next day. I did, and while I was talking to GM to lock down price I was talking to a broker. I told the GM that I was talking with broker and who ever gives me best price I would get it on the spot. Broker offered a bit over $42 and the GM said he would take $500 off his deal. That was all it took. I gave him my personal information and told him to do the paper work and to call me when I need to sign. I also told him I was NOT interested in anything finance had to offer (extended crap with a 500% mark up (i..e. wheel, security, warranty, Teflon packages etc.). I got a call about an hour later and 20 minutes after that I drove my new Fsport off the lot. While driving home the broker called and offered me even less then I asked if his deal has ML and all the other stuff. He said no. Last week I was able to get my buddy into a brand new RX350 for a great deal too using similar tactics. However, San Diego was not even close to L.A.. He ended getting his RX from Beverly Hills (MSRP $53K and he got it for $49,998 out the door - which included tax, License and fees).
Working with broker right now getting a new Honda CRV for my friend in Church. Once I get quote I will shoot it out to the dealerships within a 100 miles. Since the long weekend is coming up I'm curious the deal she will get. Got a similar deal for my 2012 MBZ E350 sport. The list was $54 but I got it for $42K. Liked the car but hated the $295 oil changes and $400 check-ups.
No offense but, how do you get a new Lexus that stickers for 57k and get it for 42k?? Has anyone else here gotten that type of discount on a new Lexus?? Maybe "rld14" who sells these can chime in!
Old 05-30-16, 06:28 PM
w4rjd
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not the best at price negotiation. My 2016 with Lux package listed for $58K, I paid $51K. That included a $2K credit from my Morgan Stanley preferred account.
Old 05-31-16, 08:47 AM
AL13NV8D3R
Instructor

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Although I am not one of the unlucky ones that see led flicker. I do feel that most LED head lights in the market are very weak and dim on many last generation cars from different manufactuers. Audi comes to mind. I test drove a Audi A6 previous generation with LEDs and it was dimmer at night than a Audi with HiDs. So im concerned about Lexus LEDs being dim too. Well the only thing to do to be sure is to test drive one at night. Anyone here owned both models of the GS 350 one with HID and the other with LEDs can chine in and tell us which is brighter? I dont want to waste my lexus car dealers time by test driving a car i wont buy.
Old 06-01-16, 06:08 AM
Infamous3
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by spoogenet
'16 doesn't have HID anymore, only LED. To me, that is a major problem with '16.
to me that is a major reason why i like it so much more!

aesthetically LED is just superior
Old 06-01-16, 06:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

Aesthetically its superior, but headlights are function first, aesthetics second.
Old 06-01-16, 09:11 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

Originally Posted by AL13NV8D3R
Although I am not one of the unlucky ones that see led flicker. I do feel that most LED head lights in the market are very weak and dim on many last generation cars from different manufactuers. Audi comes to mind. I test drove a Audi A6 previous generation with LEDs and it was dimmer at night than a Audi with HiDs. So im concerned about Lexus LEDs being dim too. Well the only thing to do to be sure is to test drive one at night. Anyone here owned both models of the GS 350 one with HID and the other with LEDs can chine in and tell us which is brighter? I dont want to waste my lexus car dealers time by test driving a car i wont buy.
Great question - very curious as to why they would go the route of LED if the low beam LEDs are rated "Marginal" (at least the link provided to the IIHS site is for the '16 ES but I imagine the GS LEDs are similar).

I second that great question btw: Anyone with a '16 GS with LEDs with constructive feedback on the light output of their headlamps at night compared to an older model Lexus with HIDs?
Old 06-01-16, 09:19 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

I can't comment on GS HID to GS LED lights, but only state that I prefer the LED lights in my 2014 IS over the HIDs in my 2015 GS.
Old 06-01-16, 10:42 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,519 Likes on 1,817 Posts

I had 2014 IS loaner with LEDs and I vastly preferred the HIDs in my 13 GS I had at the time. I have driven some with more advanced LEDs (Audis) and thought they were great.

Why do manufacturers use them? Cheaper, smaller. HIDs are a complex system with a ballast, etc.
Old 06-01-16, 11:12 AM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

I think manufacturers are using them more because many people buy vehicles based on aesthetics more than function, and this goes for headlights and ergonomics in general.

HIDs are a fairly simple system, sure they have a ballast but those are basic electronics. LEDs also require electronic control to regulate voltage. The kind of high power LEDs required for vehicle headlamps aren't exactly cheap, but I wouldn't be surprised if it does end up cheaper (translation, higher profit) than an HID setup.
Old 06-01-16, 01:44 PM
charley95
Pole Position

Received 530 Likes on 386 Posts

A new GS that stickers for 57k and discounted to 42k sounds far fetched to me! Can someone here prove me wrong???
Old 06-01-16, 01:52 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I love the LED headlight on my 16, compared to the 13 I had much brighter and also they had a reviews on the headlights compared between the HID and LED and Toyota Prius was numbered 1 for best LED lighting, here is the article.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ed-improvement
Old 06-01-16, 02:00 PM
NickL
Instructor

Received 171 Likes on 120 Posts

You mean these fancy LED headlamps are mostly just to annoy other drivers on the road and not actually helping the driver behind the wheel see better at night? I was really impress how all the Acura vehicles have the jewel eye LED headlamps but based on that test and rating, the TLX headlamps are marginal.

For one, I really miss my adaptive headlamps on the 2011 which my 2015 doesn't have.
Old 06-01-16, 02:19 PM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts
Default Seats

While having my car in service, I sat in a 16 to check it out. The first thing I notice is the seat is significantly softer than mine, a 15 F Sports. I didn't really check to see what options it has, just see that it's a non F Sport 200t. Is it because it's Premium seat or it's something new with the 2016? I actually like the feel of it. My 15's seat is a bit too firm for me now

Quick Reply: 2015 vs 2016