GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

HID..... not LED replacement instructions

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 08:20 AM
tlbryant7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HID..... not LED replacement instructions

Am I the only one that is wanting HID over LED? Hey guys, kinda new to the forum. Have been ALL over the searches for "how to's" for replacing the stock fog lights w/HID's on my 2013 GS non F-Sport.
There seems to be a ton of post on LED replacements!! I think I know how to get to the bulb by removing the bottom 3 screws, but I believe my kit has a relay kit attached to the + battery lead.
How did you wire that?
How/what did you secure the ballisters to?
Any issues/problems? Codes or faults?
Thanks in advance for all your help

Last edited by tlbryant7; 05-20-16 at 10:10 AM. Reason: more clear
Old 05-20-16, 01:24 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

no u do not need any relay for that, u should just get H11 HID kit and plug and play , u should have no issues at all for codes .
Old 05-20-16, 06:31 PM
tlbryant7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx for the response!! The extreme HID kit comes with the relay. I spoke with the guys at Xenon depot...they were not very helpful at all!!! sounds like kids answering the phone, each light comes with a negative and positive connector, according to him I could connect to the positive battery lead. This is where gets tricky I can either connect to the negative battery lead or attach it to the ground i.e. attach to the body of the car! How the hell do you do that??
Old 05-20-16, 07:14 PM
mrpartsman
Lexus Test Driver

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

No dont get the Extreme HID kits , how many K r u getting. you should just get the basic 5K or 6K , no relay needed , u are wasting ur time.
Old 05-25-16, 08:07 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

@tlbryant7 - I'm sorry that you had a negative experience. I'm not sure who you spoke with, but we do have a couple of "newer" employees which are still training. Just for clarification...

(1) The Xtreme HID kit does come with a relay harness which allows you to power the ballasts directly from the battery, and utilize your OEM headlight harness is a switch. This harness comes in handy if your vehicle's OE headlight harness is not able to supply the ballasts with a stable 12V at start up (i.e.: auto headlights).

(2) Using a harness is optional on Lexus vehicles because your vehicle will not throw any error codes or "lamp-ou" errors. However, It ultimately depends on whether the OE harness is able to supply the ballast with sufficient power at startup --- Older vehicles with older batteries sometimes run into issues in auto headlight mode. Basically, when you start the vehicle with auto headlights there is a drop in power at the OE harness when the vehicle is initially turned on. The ballasts need a minimum of 9V to operate, and if there is not enough power, they simply won't ignite -- thats where the relay harness comes in.

(3) HID ballasts draw less power then halogen bulbs, however many ballasts have a higher start-up draw to ignite the gases within the HID capsules. However, the Xtreme ballasts are low-draw ballasts, which means that they only draw up to 4.5A on a cold start. This means that you can safely power the ballasts directly from the OEM wiring without having to worry about whether you are damaging your OE wiring.

(4) If you choose to use the relay harness, then the harness does need to be grounded (will come with a ring terminal). You can either connect this connector to the negative terminal on the battery, or to the body of the vehicle -- if you're lucky you can find a factory ground.

Hope this helps,

Steve