GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Forum input for new vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-16, 06:33 AM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Received 119 Likes on 73 Posts
Default Forum input for new vehicle

The 2014 can be had for under $40k with low miles and good options. Is there a feature/option on the 2015 that should make me consider it instead?

Do I REALLY need to purchase a CPO car? If I don't, thoughts about extended warranties (I'm normally against them)?

Here's my target option list, let me know if there's anything I'm missing: the "more" adjustable Driver front seat, BSM, rear sunshade, adjustable suspension and upgraded wheels. I'm under the impression that these are all standard items on the Luxury model: heated/cooled front seats, sunroof, projector beam headlights, comfort access (proximity unlock, etc.), NAV and XM radio. If not, than they need to be added to my target option list.

Are there any other MUST haves? I'd really like to have HUD (my last two cars had it) but have not seen one...even after looking at dozens of cars. For that matter, I don't think I have seen a Luxury model yet. It has the rear armrest controls...right?

Last edited by DallasDave; 05-21-16 at 04:07 PM.
Old 05-20-16, 07:49 AM
NickL
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 117 Posts

I think it's mostly in infotainment system. Weather and traffic is based on HD radio(free) on the 2015 where 2014 requires XM subscription. 18" wheel is standard on the 2015.
http://pressroom.lexus.com/releases/...rds+luxury.htm
Old 05-20-16, 09:02 AM
Runamok81
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Check the sticky threads at the the top of this subforum. There is a thread about how to visually identify all the options with photos. It was a huge help for me when shopping. Also, the only other must have.. Mark Levinson audio?
Old 05-20-16, 09:40 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

vechile?

Is that a new kind of pepper?
Old 05-20-16, 09:45 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
The 2014 can be had for under $40k with low miles and good options. Is there a feature/option on the 2015 that should make me consider it instead?

Do I REALLY need to purchase a CPO car? If I don't, thoughts about extended warranties (I'm normally against them)?

Here's my target option list, let me know if there's anything I'm missing: the "more" adjustable Driver front seat, BSM, rear sunshade, adjustable suspension and upgraded wheels. I'm under the impression that these are all standard items on the Luxury model: heated/cooled front seats, sunroof, projector beam headlights, comfort access (proximity unlock, etc.), NAV and XM radio. If not, than they need to be added to my target option list.

Are there any other MUST haves? I'd really like to have HUD (my last two cars had it) but have not seen one...even after looking at dozens of cars. For that matter, I don't think I have seen a Luxury model yet. It has the rear armrest controls...right?
Why not buy a leftover 15? Just yesterday a dealer sent me an email with $10.5 off any in stock 15. Their highest price 15 was 58xxx but they had a couple of 55.

I dont know if they had all the options you want, but its worth it to give it a shot for a new vehicle
Old 05-20-16, 11:27 AM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Adjustable suspension comes in both Luxury and F-sport. Both have more adjustable driver's seat, where Lux has even more adjustment on driver's and has a matching passenger's seat. Lux has rear controls in the armrest and 3-zone control.

Nav is not standard on the '14 but in TX I haven't seen one without it. The '15 is standard. Personally I found the delta between F-sport and Luxury to be much more significant than the delta of '14 to '15. Since you're looking for used or leftover, I would let the specific car & options sway me more than the year model. Given the choice of the same configuration, I'd take the newer car if the price delta were reasonable an d final price affordable.

You don't need L-certified CPO but if you don't, I recommend to ensure it's a private-party or true dealer trade-in car. If it were a lease return a non-Lexus dealer got at auction, there's likely a reason it's not at a Lexus dealer.
Old 05-20-16, 11:42 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

I like the luxury package more then the F sports particularly cas of the wood trim going on inside, but I got a gr8 deal on the F sports with upgraded Hdd based navigation and ML sound and the car is super clean smells like new.
Old 05-20-16, 03:54 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Lol, sorry for the typo. I read my post twice for errors, but I overlooked the heading.

Yes, the luxury package is the way I want to go but they seem a little scarce so far.

This forum has been great. I did use the other thread and now I can easily tell how to spot the options I am looking for.

I'm sticking to my price of $40k, even if I have to take a little higher mileage car (assuming it has the options I want). Correct me if I am mistaken, but the desirability between a 15k/mi and 30k/mi car seems like nothing when it comes to a well-kept Lexus. I drove one that had 51k/mi on it and it still seemed like a brand new car. This is quite a bit different than the German autos my wife and I have been driving for the past few years.

Our MB service advisor is known as "$1,000 Bonnie". Her name is Bonnie and we (and two of our friends that have MB) have never had an expense that was less than $1,000. Crazy, crazy stuff.
Old 05-20-16, 04:00 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

Sorry about the typo in the heading, I proof read the thread twice for errors but missed the header.

I've got almost $40k set aside for a new ride - I'm on a budget and trying to stay with it...even if it means purchasing a higher mileage car that has the options I want.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe a 30k/mi Lexus still has a llloonnnnggg service life. I'd like a car that has less than 15k/mi, but I do not feel it's an imperative (like it would be if purchasing a German vehicle).

It's probably quite justifiable that I am not too worried about owning a Lexus that has 50k/mi and is out of warranty. The rule of thumb for a BMW is "get rid of it as soon as the warranty is out". I have quite a bit of evidence to prove that theory is accurate!
Old 05-20-16, 04:02 PM
DallasDave
Lead Lap

LOL, now I have a double post! I posted, nothing happened so I retyped...
Old 05-20-16, 04:57 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

If ur in Dallas and test drove a 51k mile car in Plano I know which car your talking abt it was very nice and yes you can't tell if the car has that many miles. I'm coming here from a Bmw 535 2011 with only 52k miles had bunch of problems transmission/suspension and day I sold it had oil all around the head meaning the value gasket cover was gone. All this happened in 52k miles. That's the reason I'm at Lexus forum now.
Old 05-20-16, 05:02 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I like the Lux package more, even bought one. They are a small portion of the market, especially in TX. With HUD is even more rare.
Old 05-20-16, 08:05 PM
fuddyduddy
Pit Crew

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DallasDave
Sorry about the typo in the heading, I proof read the thread twice for errors but missed the header.

I've got almost $40k set aside for a new ride - I'm on a budget and trying to stay with it...even if it means purchasing a higher mileage car that has the options I want.

Correct me if I am mistaken, but I believe a 30k/mi Lexus still has a llloonnnnggg service life. I'd like a car that has less than 15k/mi, but I do not feel it's an imperative (like it would be if purchasing a German vehicle).

It's probably quite justifiable that I am not too worried about owning a Lexus that has 50k/mi and is out of warranty. The rule of thumb for a BMW is "get rid of it as soon as the warranty is out". I have quite a bit of evidence to prove that theory is accurate!
Yeah man, well don't worry about the years. You could get a 2013 with the Luxury Package and HUD and you would be completely fine for your price range. That's what I have. PM me if you have questions.
Old 05-20-16, 09:15 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,129 Likes on 838 Posts

I always advise to buy the lowest mileage car you can afford in the used marketplace.

The luxury package GS is not too hard to come by - just gotta keep your eyes peeled and know exactly what you're looking to buy:
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3168/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5583/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...5793/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...4905/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...9739/overview/

Good luck! Share some pics when you finally pull the trigger
Old 05-20-16, 10:21 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
I'm coming here from a Bmw 535 2011 with only 52k miles had bunch of problems transmission/suspension and day I sold it had oil all around the head meaning the value gasket cover was gone. All this happened in 52k miles. That's the reason I'm at Lexus forum now.
Smart move!

~ Im2bz2p345

Quick Reply: Forum input for new vehicle