GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Thoughts on new tires?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 12:43 AM
Prinny
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts on new tires?

What brand, size, and etc do you guys use? I need to get two new fronts and was just curious about your experiences. Wanted to make an informed decision before just taking some advice from the some people at the tire shop.

Thanks!
Old 05-16-16, 06:41 AM
GBFSport
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, size 235/40VR19 tires

I replaced my factory Bridgestone tires with Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, size 235/40VR19 tires on my F Sport and it was night and day difference.

About the same price but a much quieter ride and amazing road handling.
Old 05-16-16, 09:11 AM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Prinny
What brand, size, and etc do you guys use? I need to get two new fronts and was just curious about your experiences. Wanted to make an informed decision before just taking some advice from the some people at the tire shop.

Thanks!
Have the exact same situation the bridestone Rft are horrible. People have put wider 245/40/19 Michelins MXM4 and reported great result and ride improvement.
Old 05-16-16, 12:14 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 449 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by GBFSport
I replaced my factory Bridgestone tires with Pirelli Cinturato P7 AS+, size 235/40VR19 tires on my F Sport and it was night and day difference.

What was your original? Bridgestone or Dunlop?
Are the new P7's softer and more comfortable riding, or about the same?
Old 05-16-16, 02:59 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Dallasguy1
Have the exact same situation the bridestone Rft are horrible. People have put wider 245/40/19 Michelins MXM4 and reported great result and ride improvement.
I actually have 235/40/19 Michelin MXM4 right now. I have to double check, but pretty sure that's the sizing. The guys at the tire shop recommended against getting the MXM4 due to the tires being notorious for their tread cracking(Both my front tires have it all over the tread). The tires were made sometime in 2012. They were the tires that the car came with when I got in earlier this year, but they still have tread left. They said I should get them changed out sooner than later after I had a small hole patched by them.

The MXM4s were also the most pricey out of the the options that the guy listed off for me to get.
Old 05-16-16, 05:21 PM
Im2bz2p345
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 142 Posts

I too have the same tries as you Prinny (Michelin MXM4's). They are wearing a little faster than I would like.

From what I've read and researched, the best tires for our cars are:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (for fuel economy, comfort, luxurious/softer ride)

OR

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 (for a more sporty/stiffer ride, grip, traction in all conditions, etc).

Really depends on what you're after/prefer and where you're located (i.e. snowy area). There are a lot of positive reviews for both tires. The treadwear on the Pirelli's might be a bit better, but it's no where where close to where it's rated (that's the general opinion based on reading a ton of reviews).

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345

Last edited by Im2bz2p345; 05-17-16 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-16-16, 08:02 PM
737Driver
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've had the P7's on my 2004 Acura TSX for a few years, and just today got them in 245/40's for my '13 F-Sport AWD. Amazingly, it had the original Bridgestones on it with 55,000 miles and they still had 4/32nds left. The previous owner must have been gentle on them :-). Boy were they loud and jarring though.
Anyway, on the Acura, the last set of p7's lasted around 35,000 miles, with Discount Tire prorating the new set about 50%. I have no complaints at all. Quiet, sure footed, etc...
On the 15 miles I have on the new set, I believe the ride is definitely softer. They inspire plenty of confidence, but give the Lexus feel at the same time. In sport+, they feel perfect for driving more aggressively, but in normal mode they feel great for taking the wife out.
Old 05-16-16, 08:34 PM
Runamok81
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Where do you live? Do you need all season tires for your climate? Any snow? What do yu value in your tire? Performance, treadwear, soft ride? For all season, the Michelin MXM4 and Michelin A/S 3 have good reviews by members on these forums. For summer tires, thr Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the consensus best tire. I recently needed a set of summer performance shoes. Michelin has a great reputation, and they are the best, but I'm not convinced they deserve the crazy premium their tires demand. I'm not tracking my GS like a Lambo, but I don't want a weak tire either. I need something respectable. For your money, Tire Rack comparisons show that the Hankook Evo 2s offer nearly the same performance of the PSS at a much lower price. My 2 cents.

Last edited by Runamok81; 05-16-16 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-16-16, 09:15 PM
Prinny
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Im2bz2p345
I too have the same tries as you Prinny (Michelin MXM4's). They are wearing a little faster than I would like.

From what I've read and researched, the best tires for our cars are:

Pirelli Cinturato P7 All Season Plus (for fuel economy, comfort, luxurious/softer ride)

OR

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 (for a more sporty/stiffer ride, grip, traction in all conditions, etc).

Really depends on what you're after/prefer and where you're located (i.e. snowy area). There are a lot of positive reviews for both tires. The treadwear on the Pirelli's might be a bit better, but it's no where where close to where it's rated (that's the general opinion based on reading a ton of reviews).

Hope this helps,

~ Im2bz2p345
Perfect lol, but now I have to decide between the two of those hmm

Originally Posted by 737Driver
I've had the P7's on my 2004 Acura TSX for a few years, and just today got them in 245/40's for my '13 F-Sport AWD. Amazingly, it had the original Bridgestones on it with 55,000 miles and they still had 4/32nds left. The previous owner must have been gentle on them :-). Boy were they loud and jarring though.
Anyway, on the Acura, the last set of p7's lasted around 35,000 miles, with Discount Tire prorating the new set about 50%. I have no complaints at all. Quiet, sure footed, etc...
On the 15 miles I have on the new set, I believe the ride is definitely softer. They inspire plenty of confidence, but give the Lexus feel at the same time. In sport+, they feel perfect for driving more aggressively, but in normal mode they feel great for taking the wife out.
Everyone seem to really like the P7s, but kind of wish there were more reviews on some others hmm

Originally Posted by Runamok81
Where do you live? Do you need all season tires for your climate? Any snow? What do yu value in your tire? Performance, treadwear, soft ride? For all season, the Michelin MXM4 and Michelin A/S 3 have good reviews by members on these forums. For summer tires, thr Michelin Pilot Super Sports are the consensus best tire. I recently needed a set of summer performance shoes. Michelin has a great reputation, and they are the best, but I'm not convinced they deserve the crazy premium their tires demand. I'm not tracking my GS like a Lambo, but I don't want a weak tire either. I need something respectable. For your money, Tire Rack comparisons show that the Hankook Evo 2s offer nearly the same performance of the PSS at a much lower price. My 2 cents.

Southern California so I honestly could just stick summer tires on it and run them all year round. Did that on my G35, but sometimes when it rained it got a little iffy or I had to be careful when driving. Ran Hankook V12s on that. The only comparison to that were some mediocre Nexen tires that I bought the car with.

I'd want something that does well overall without making a big sacrifice for the other. I do enjoy the soft ride that the MXM4 gives, but tread cracking after 4 years with still some tread left is a bit premature.
Old 05-16-16, 09:18 PM
737Driver
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If I lived in SoCal I'd do summer tires. A/S tires are a Jack of all trades, but a master of none.
Old 05-16-16, 09:55 PM
neilsarkar
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GBFSport

Same here - replaced Bridgestone ER33 summer tire with Pirelli Cinturato P7 Plus and the difference is ride quality is night and day. Get the P7 - you won't be disappointed.
Old 05-16-16, 10:30 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DWSs are so good in the snow that they make snow tires pointless.

Really.

This comes from someone who has them on a RWD car that can happily drive through 4" of unplowed snow.
Old 05-16-16, 10:51 PM
Dallasguy1
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Has anyone used Bridgestone Potenza RE760 getting the pair for 325$ shipped, have 4 star reviews on tirerack.
Old 05-17-16, 12:53 PM
spoogenet
Lead Lap

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I had those Conti DWS on a BMW and they were my favorite tire on that car after having gone through a few other brands/models over the years. I found them to be fairly quiet and they had razor sharp handling, enough that I had to adapt my driving a bit because they would quickly react to slight turns of the steering wheel.

I never tested their snow traction but wet/dry they held well and they wore decently.
Old 05-17-16, 02:35 PM
NebulaGrey
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

+1 hankook v12s

Quick Reply: Thoughts on new tires?