GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Hendrick Lexus Automotive group and Lexus = Worst ownership experience and car

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-16, 07:26 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hendrick Lexus Automotive group and Lexus = Worst ownership experience and car

We didn't buy our car here, but they have been our point of service. Our GS350 is a $60k car and has had the ABS system go crazy on us at freeway speeds after both the north location and the south location worked on the brakes 4 times and only said the brakes needed resurfacing. They say they can't find any issues or codes, but refuse to take the brake system apart or take our issue seriously. We don't understand how the brakes can keep warping within such short periods and there is nothing causing it. They have had the car 4 months out of the last 12 and the service is just awful. We involved corporate thinking the manufacturer would be professional. Boy were we wrong. Their corporate rep offered nothing of value, the corporate master tech never listened to me or my wife once on how to duplicate some of the issues. Even when we provide video evidence. They have an excuse for everything. Best part is they bent my wheel and it took them 3 visits just to properly diagnose something two other Lexus dealers said you would see by looking at the wheel spinning with nothing more than your eyes. They dented the rocker panel and had to replace that. Even broke the cup holder and took three visits to fix that. In addition they have lost our car keys twice, one of which resulted in chasing our car around the metro area after costing me half a work day to coordinate getting the key to them and get my car back because they didn't even check to see if they had a key blank at their location. Take away, we can't get our car fixed, but we can get it damaged easily and have the auto group show no interest in making matters right.

Even better, on 4 different instances, their solution has been having the sales manager call us to have us buy a new car and take a huge hit on this vehicle in trade. Why would you buy a new one when you can't even fix the old one. And a side note, from what they quoted the car is worth, this vehicle has held its value as well as a screen door holds water.

The experience with Lexus and this dealer has been anything but luxurious. Matter of fact, just the opposite.

The icing on the cake was my wife walking towards the service manager's office and finds the management and corporate representatives are in there joking about our car and situation. Their Corp rep and service manager apologize for nothing except that the service manager didn't show my wife which loaner car was hers after waiting 15 minutes in the empty service bay. The manufacturer after all this offered a small compensation, but we still have no vehicle in working order and a Dealership chain that is in this for their benefit only. The Hendrick group is simply a pig with lipstick on it.
Old 05-07-16, 08:28 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

Wow, sorry to hear about your experience. Is there any other Lexus dealer around you that you can take your car to? If they aren't willing to work with you then I would just take it to another dealer and pay out of pocket to have the brakes fixed again. It sure beats going through what you have been for the past 4 months. Do you think you can do something with lemon law? Actually I'm not sure if that would work in this particular senerio.
Old 05-07-16, 09:41 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Like with doctors, always get a second opinion (or third).
Old 05-07-16, 12:03 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,991 Likes on 1,415 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
We didn't buy our car here, but they have been our point of service. Our GS350 is a $60k car and has had the ABS system go crazy on us at freeway speeds after both the north location and the south location worked on the brakes 4 times and only said the brakes needed resurfacing. They say they can't find any issues or codes, but refuse to take the brake system apart or take our issue seriously. We don't understand how the brakes can keep warping within such short periods and there is nothing causing it. They have had the car 4 months out of the last 12 and the service is just awful. We involved corporate thinking the manufacturer would be professional. Boy were we wrong. Their corporate rep offered nothing of value, the corporate master tech never listened to me or my wife once on how to duplicate some of the issues. Even when we provide video evidence. They have an excuse for everything. Best part is they bent my wheel and it took them 3 visits just to properly diagnose something two other Lexus dealers said you would see by looking at the wheel spinning with nothing more than your eyes. They dented the rocker panel and had to replace that. Even broke the cup holder and took three visits to fix that. In addition they have lost our car keys twice, one of which resulted in chasing our car around the metro area after costing me half a work day to coordinate getting the key to them and get my car back because they didn't even check to see if they had a key blank at their location. Take away, we can't get our car fixed, but we can get it damaged easily and have the auto group show no interest in making matters right.

Even better, on 4 different instances, their solution has been having the sales manager call us to have us buy a new car and take a huge hit on this vehicle in trade. Why would you buy a new one when you can't even fix the old one. And a side note, from what they quoted the car is worth, this vehicle has held its value as well as a screen door holds water.

The experience with Lexus and this dealer has been anything but luxurious. Matter of fact, just the opposite.

The icing on the cake was my wife walking towards the service manager's office and finds the management and corporate representatives are in there joking about our car and situation. Their Corp rep and service manager apologize for nothing except that the service manager didn't show my wife which loaner car was hers after waiting 15 minutes in the empty service bay. The manufacturer after all this offered a small compensation, but we still have no vehicle in working order and a Dealership chain that is in this for their benefit only. The Hendrick group is simply a pig with lipstick on it.
Why do you think you are being singled out in receiving such poor service from this dealership? Or, do you think that everyone is receiving poor service from this dealership?

PS - The same questions apply to how Lexus corporate treated you and your issues...

Last edited by bclexus; 05-07-16 at 12:08 PM.
Old 05-07-16, 12:41 PM
kmm
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bclexus
Why do you think you are being singled out in receiving such poor service from this dealership? Or, do you think that everyone is receiving poor service from this dealership?

PS - The same questions apply to how Lexus corporate treated you and your issues...
This.

In CA, the lemon law would have handled this issue a long time ago...

...at least, that has been my personal experience, and no need to get an attorney involved.
Old 05-07-16, 12:46 PM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,130 Likes on 838 Posts

You should definitely go to another dealership. My last experience with my dealership left a poor taste in my mouth (the driver took my car, left me with a loaner and got a speeding ticket caught by a highway speed camera) but they made up for it with their post-situation efforts.

If the dealership is doing a poor job, take it to another dealership. You've given them enough chances. There are many instances where one dealership slips up on service and another is stellar. I recall reading a battery issue someone had on a yelp review where the dealership where they purchased failed miserably to resolve it on multiple visits to service but another lexus dealer was able to fix in one service visit.

Take it to another dealer. Sounds like you still have a full warranty and note that you have access to one of the better dealer networks available...there's always a bad apple but don't let it ruin the bunch.
Old 05-09-16, 02:33 PM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Sorry to hear you have had such a bad experience. The two Lexus dealerships I take my cars to (Orange County, CA) have been exceptional in their service and courtesy. I usually dread taking my car in for service but actually look forward to it now since my car is handled with care (I have a partially hidden dash cam and review the footage) and I get to have a nice new loaner to drive around and put miles on.

Wondering why you keep getting warped rotors. Do you get the car washed shortly after driving it or do you let the car (and brakes) cool off before getting cold water sprayed on them?
Old 05-09-16, 02:54 PM
jkeller
Advanced

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Sorry to hear about this. What does ABS go crazy mean? Something is going on to make your rotors warp that often, do you drive with your foot on the break?
Old 05-09-16, 03:49 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

I strongly suspect there is more to this story that we are not privy to.
Old 05-12-16, 07:33 AM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

This dealer is the only option for several hundred miles. Paying out of pocket is silly. Isn't this supposed to be what luxury looks like?

I've taken the car to two different locations and had very similar experiences.

The ABS going crazy - Means the system activated on dry pavement at speeds of approx 70 mph and the car pulled heavily towards the driver side and I had to correct the vehicle with the steering wheel to the right all while the system was activating. And when going into that scenario, instinct is to put the brakes on, which didn't help in this case. I know, many of you will scratch your head, and my wife and I are still perplexed.

As to the last comment on not knowing the full story. Sure, there is no way to summarize the whole thing. But I assure you, use google and do some research on this dealership. I did. The owner has 3 drivers with Nascar and I understand he was in legal trouble and faked having leukemia to get out of it. I have friends who have had cancer, and that was rotten. The web is full of falsehoods. But google for yourself.

https://yotameister18.wordpress.com/...d-as-they-get/ - for example.
Old 05-12-16, 08:38 AM
Davenlei
Advanced

Received 92 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by BarrettF77
This dealer is the only option for several hundred miles. Paying out of pocket is silly. Isn't this supposed to be what luxury looks like?

I've taken the car to two different locations and had very similar experiences.

The ABS going crazy - Means the system activated on dry pavement at speeds of approx 70 mph and the car pulled heavily towards the driver side and I had to correct the vehicle with the steering wheel to the right all while the system was activating. And when going into that scenario, instinct is to put the brakes on, which didn't help in this case. I know, many of you will scratch your head, and my wife and I are still perplexed.

As to the last comment on not knowing the full story. Sure, there is no way to summarize the whole thing. But I assure you, use google and do some research on this dealership. I did. The owner has 3 drivers with Nascar and I understand he was in legal trouble and faked having leukemia to get out of it. I have friends who have had cancer, and that was rotten. The web is full of falsehoods. But google for yourself.

https://yotameister18.wordpress.com/...d-as-they-get/ - for example.

Does the ABS still 'go crazy' on you guys? If so, you should get a couple dash cameras (one facing forward, one facing the cabin and passengers and one recording the driver footwell/pedal area. Record when it happens again and get proof of the issue. Show it to the dealer and Lexus corp.
Old 05-12-16, 09:18 AM
lamikela1
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

By chance do you have pre-collision and LKA? Is so this could be part of the issue with the brakes activating.
Old 05-12-16, 12:20 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

I don't have LKA. Only blind spot. But that would have been a great suggestion.

The issue in recording is that we have already done this on other issues. Such as the parking sensors that come on when nothing is there and the bumper spotless. My wife showed their Corp rep and the service techs and the tech proceeded to lick his finger after they exited the vehicle and tell her it was just a bug. This is the type of absurdity we are facing. 3 visits to even diagnose a bent rim that they bent in the first place. Two other Lexus dealers said they would have known that by simply spinning the wheel and it could be eyeballed when I called them after hearing the news from this dealer. Both acknowledged it was a pretty simple diagnosis. I'm no expert on cars, and at this price point I shouldn't be either. But, I would expect a degree of competence from those who are working on a car to be able and fix it and be employed by a dealer that wants to convey a experience that sets them apart in a good way. Not come back and tell my wife and I we can get out of the car and buy a new one because they are unable to fix the one we have.... This is the type of tactic that gives car dealers the reputation most try and avoid.
Old 05-12-16, 01:19 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Barrett - There is just something about this story that does not make any sense. That Lexus dealership simply cannot (would not) treat their customers like you say you and your wife have been treated and remain in business. Something (everything) does not add up here! I think there is far more to this story than we are being told (from your side of it). Obviously we will never hear the dealership's side of this story. I am very sure that this Lexus dealership (as they all do) have highly competent technicians working on the vehicles...and the other employees are very capable and accomplished in their field.

Last edited by bclexus; 05-12-16 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 02:57 PM
BarrettF77
Lead Lap

BC, Google the dealership and the reviews. If your dealership is the only one in town, where else are you going to buy the product? I invite you to get on Yelp too. But I understand you're brand loyal and some people have their own opinions and I can respect that. I'm simply trying to let others know so they hopefully can avoid the experience I have witnessed. If you are ever in Kansas City, you should definitely let them perform an oil change on your car at the very least.

Quick Reply: Hendrick Lexus Automotive group and Lexus = Worst ownership experience and car