GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

battery went belly up over the weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 05:40 PM
endo022
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default battery went belly up over the weekend

I came home from work on Friday night and parked it in my garage as usual. I didn't noticed anything. The next afternoon, as I walked past the car on my way out of the garage, I hear a slight "clicking" noise coming from the car. I opened up the driver's side door and the clicking sound was much more pronounce and at a rapid fire rate. The sound seems to come from behind the coin holder or just around that area. So i tried to start the car up and poof! Car went dead.

I popped the hood and connected the battery to an external charger and left it for the rest of the day. The following day, the battery is still not registering any voltage. I bought a replacement battery and car started right off.

My question is, anyone have any idea as to what that rapid fire clicking noise might be? It almost sounds like the starter trying to go off and dry firing. But the car started right away so I'm assuming the starter is ok?

I didn't have time to take it to the dealership today. I'm not even sure if they'll believe my story and might think I'm trying to hustle them for a free battery
Old 05-03-16, 05:52 PM
tsmith167
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That has happened to several people here including me. Mine happened first month of ownership ( purchased new). Lexus should be aware of issue and may replace it for you for free. Good luck!
Old 05-14-16, 10:04 AM
designzio
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by endo022
I came home from work on Friday night and parked it in my garage as usual. I didn't noticed anything. The next afternoon, as I walked past the car on my way out of the garage, I hear a slight "clicking" noise coming from the car. I opened up the driver's side door and the clicking sound was much more pronounce and at a rapid fire rate. The sound seems to come from behind the coin holder or just around that area. So i tried to start the car up and poof! Car went dead.

I popped the hood and connected the battery to an external charger and left it for the rest of the day. The following day, the battery is still not registering any voltage. I bought a replacement battery and car started right off.

My question is, anyone have any idea as to what that rapid fire clicking noise might be? It almost sounds like the starter trying to go off and dry firing. But the car started right away so I'm assuming the starter is ok?

I didn't have time to take it to the dealership today. I'm not even sure if they'll believe my story and might think I'm trying to hustle them for a free battery
2013 GS CPO - My battery died a few weeks ago as well. I was concerned that I might have some sort of draw. Took it into the dealer and they concluded that it was a bad battery. Replaced for free.