Looking to buy a 2013 GS350 F Sport

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-16, 08:51 AM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to buy a 2013 GS350 F Sport

Hey everyone,

My cousin is looking to buy a 2013 GS350 F Sport AWD with 30k miles on it in Tacoma, WA for $29,000. The carfax looks clean with two owners. There are a few things that concern me about the car.

- The second owner only owned the car for a little over a month.
- The dealership just changed the HID bulbs
- The auto leveling light is on

Here's the link: http://www.253motoring.com/2013_Lexu...WA_2502095.veh

I normally don't deal with small dealerships like this one. I wasn't there to look at the car since I am located in Portland, OR so the above information is from what I was told. The price seems too good to be true. I priced the same car and it seems to be in the $34-$36k price range.

What are your thoughts on this car?
Old 04-29-16, 09:36 AM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I say as long as the car isn't a salvage title you should be good to go... The car still has the factory warranty, so any problems just take it to the dealership... I think 29k is a fair price for a low mileage Gs F... Blue Book is a Joke !!! I'm seeing several Gs F selling for 25k to 26k with 50k on the odo , and bluebook shows its still worth 33k... No one pays blue book for a call !!!!
Old 04-29-16, 09:43 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by acnup00tl
I say as long as the car isn't a salvage title you should be good to go... The car still has the factory warranty, so any problems just take it to the dealership... I think 29k is a fair price for a low mileage Gs F... Blue Book is a Joke !!! I'm seeing several Gs F selling for 25k to 26k with 50k on the odo , and bluebook shows its still worth 33k... No one pays blue book for a call !!!!
Is the factory warranty 4yr/50k?
Old 04-29-16, 09:44 AM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

Received 87 Likes on 73 Posts

I wouldn't be so sure it has the factory warranty still. If it does, it's only for another few months. The auto leveling light illuminating on the speedo would be a little concerning to me also.
Old 04-29-16, 09:49 AM
acnup00tl
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by grayson73
Is the factory warranty 4yr/50k?
Yes, The factory warranty is 4 years 50k....
Old 04-29-16, 10:02 AM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

Originally Posted by yardie876
I wouldn't be so sure it has the factory warranty still. If it does, it's only for another few months. The auto leveling light illuminating on the speedo would be a little concerning to me also.
The factory 4 year warranty expired in February.

Yes the auto leveling light is concerning to me because I don't see this to be a common problem. I am thinking that maybe it was in an accident of some sort and suspension work had been done therefore causing the sensor to turn on?
Old 04-29-16, 10:07 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

If there are concerns about it and possible previous damage/repairs, I would suggest that your cousin get an independent inspection done on the car. The dealer should allow that, and if they don't, find another car/dealer. A competent mechanic should be able to look it over for a very reasonable fee and let you know of any causes for concern. You can always ask that the dealer fix whatever auto leveling issue is going on as part of the deal.
Old 04-29-16, 10:08 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts

May be its been in a wreck that never showed up on Carfax. Dealer fixed it and is now selling it. I personally wouldn't buy it. Plus it's out of warranty. Also because it has had two previous owners and you being the third (if you buy it) it would sell for less then a car that was a one owner or two owner in the future.
Old 04-29-16, 10:27 AM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

Thank you all for the quick responses. We have asked the dealer for an inspection and he got all defensive and backed out of the deal. He said my cousin was trying to get a bigger discount from him. All we wanted was to make sure the car wasn't in any type of accident. He must be hiding something since he said no.
Old 04-29-16, 10:58 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyLai
Thank you all for the quick responses. We have asked the dealer for an inspection and he got all defensive and backed out of the deal. He said my cousin was trying to get a bigger discount from him. All we wanted was to make sure the car wasn't in any type of accident. He must be hiding something since he said no.
LOL, he got defensive? Big red flag.

Move on.
Old 04-29-16, 11:25 AM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PM Me the VIN and I will check the National Service history on the car for you if you'd like.

Based on the pic of the LF fender it *_LOOKS_* like MAYBE it's had bodywork done.

That's a car that seems too cheap to be true, usually that is for a reason.... I am paying more than $29K for nice 13 F-Sports with 30K on them.
Old 04-29-16, 11:28 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

Originally Posted by ScoobyLai
Well, at least he made your decision easy...
Old 04-29-16, 11:37 AM
ScoobyLai
Rookie

Originally Posted by rld14
PM Me the VIN and I will check the National Service history on the car for you if you'd like.

Based on the pic of the LF fender it *_LOOKS_* like MAYBE it's had bodywork done.

That's a car that seems too cheap to be true, usually that is for a reason.... I am paying more than $29K for nice 13 F-Sports with 30K on them.
The VIN number is JTHCE1BL5D5001115

No need to check it, but if you want to do it for the heck of it and maybe get a laugh out of it then you can
Old 04-29-16, 11:46 AM
Afrosheen
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hilarious thread, some good points made here. Red flags galore.

Good thing you went with your gut and were suspicious of the car. Two owners already = sketchy. Second owner was extremely short term = sketchier. HID bulbs changed for no apparent reason and headlights won't level = sketchiest.

The takeaway here is NEVER TRUST THE CARFAX. There is a 30-60 day window before some things show up. If a damaged car shows up as a trade the dealer may soak it up and repair it off books to keep it off the carfax.
Old 04-29-16, 12:13 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well well well....

08/18/2015 08/24/2015 27,735 KENDALL LEXUS OF EUGENE-(63602) 6012939 $0.00
Condition 1 Pay Type: CUSTOMER PAY
Op Code Desc: BUNDLED MAINTENANCE MENUS SSC No. ----
BUNDLED MAINTENANCE MENUS ~|~PLEASE PERFORM 25,000 MILE SERVICE ~|~ ~|~TECH PERFORMED 25,000 MILE SERVICE AS PER LEXUS MAINTENANCE STANDARDS Agreement ----
Condition 2 Pay Type: CUSTOMER PAY
Op Code Desc: CUSTOMER STATES THE CHECK HEADLIGHT LEVELING SYSTEM LIGHT IS COMING ON PLEASE CH SSC No. ----
CUSTOMER STATES THE CHECK HEADLIGHT LEVELING SYSTEM LIGHT IS COMING ON PLEASE CH ~|~CUSTOMER STATES THE CHECK HEADLIGHT LEVELING SYSTEM LIGHT IS COMING ON PLEASE CHECK AND REPORT ~|~ ~|~1258 CONFIRMED SYSTEM INOP. FOUND VEHICLE WAS IN ACCIDENT AND HOOD ETC. REPLACED. NO OK TO FURTHER DIAG AT THIS TIME... .5 HRS

02/15/2016 02/22/2016 30,211 KENDALL TOYOTA OF BEND-(36096) 6044432 $0.00
Condition 1 Pay Type: INTERNAL (DEALER) PAY
Op Code Desc: HEADLAMP OUT OF ADJUSTMENT SSC No. ----
HEADLAMP OUT OF ADJUSTMENT ~|~C/S THAT THE AUTO LEVELING HEADLIGHT MALFUNCTION MESSAGE IS DISPLAYED. PLEASE CHECK AND ADVISE ~|~SCAN CODES B2424 , B2425 HEADLAMP MALFUNCTION ~|~HEAD LAMP ASSY INOP , RECOMMEND TO TAKE TO LEXUS DEALER FOR WARRANTABLE REPAIR Agreement ----

02/22/2016 02/23/2016 30,572 LEXUS OF TACOMA AT FIFE-(64630) 0320920 $0.00
Op Code Desc: FULL ALIGNMENT SSC No. ----
FULL ALIGNMENT ~|~PLEASE DO COMPLETE ALIGNMENT ON VEHICLE ADJUST AND CORRECT STEERING, CENTER STEERING WHEEL -STEERING WHEEL OFF SET TO THE LEFT ~|~. ~|~COMPLETED FULL ALIGNMENT ON VEHICLE, SET TO VEHICLE SPEC. TEST DROVE, AND CENTERED STEERING WHEEL. Agreement ----
Op Code Desc: LEFT FRONT MAT SSC No. ----
LEFT FRONT MAT ~|~CUSTOMER HAS BEEN ADVISED REGARDING FACTORY-APPROVED INSTALLATION OF DRIVER FLOORMAT: ONLY FACTORY FLOORMATS WITH RETENTION ****-STYLE OR HOOKS MAY BE USED. USING A NON-OEM FLOORMAT OR DOUBLE-STACKING FLOORMATS COULD CREATE AN UNSAFE CONDITION WITH POTENT ~|~ ~|~GUEST INFORMED OF FACTORY RECOMMENDATIONS. Agreement ----
Condition 3 Pay Type: CUSTOMER PAY
Op Code Desc: TIRE MEASUREMENT SSC No. ----
TIRE MEASUREMENT ~|~PROVIDE TIRE TREAD DEPTH MEASUREMENTS: ~|~ ~|~LEFT FRONT- RIGHT FRONT- LEFT REAR- RIGHT REAR- Agreement ----
Condition 4 Pay Type: INTERNAL (DEALER) PAY
Op Code Desc: DISTRIBUTOR/HDLIGHT/T. SGNL SSC No. ----
DISTRIBUTOR/HDLIGHT/T. SGNL ~|~CUSTOMER REPORTS THE CHECK HEADLIGHT LEVELING SYSTEM MSG IS COMING ON DISPLAY SCREEN ~|~DIAGNOSTIC TROUBLE CODE B2424 INDICATING LEVEL CONTROL MOTOR NOT OPERATING ON LEFT HEADLIGHT. CHECKED SYSTEM FUSES, POWER AND GROUNDS - ALL CHECKED GOOD. ~|~WILL REQUIRE REPLACEMENT OF LEFT SIDE HEADLIGHT ASSEMBLY TO REPAIR. FRONT END HAS BEEN DAMAGED AND REPAIRED. NOT COVERED UNDER WARRANTY (ALSO DOCUMENTED AT 27,735 MILES BY ANOTHER LEXUS DEALERSHIP) ESTIMATE PARTS AND LABOR $ 2735.55 -CUSTOMER DECLINED REP

02/29/2016 03/18/2016 30,596 KENDALL LEXUS OF EUGENE-(63602) 6017007 $0.00
Op Code Desc: ELECTRICAL INTERIOR SSC No. ----
ELECTRICAL INTERIOR ~|~C/S THAT THE AUTO LEVELING CHECK SYSTEM LIGHT IS ON - PLEASE DIAGNOSE SYSTEM. ~|~VEHICLE WAS SOLD BY KENDALL IMPORTS - CUSTOMER BROUGHT VEHICLE BACK BECAUSE THE AUTO LEVELING WARNING LIGHT IS ON. WENT THROUGH DIAGNOSTIC AND FOUND THE FRONT OF THE VEHICLE HAD BEEN REPAIRED BY A BODY SHOP. WE REMOVED THE FRONT BUMPER COVER FOR INSPECTIO ~|~REPLACEMENT - AT THIS TIME THE CLIENT IS GOING TO HOLD OFF ON REPAIRS. REPAIRS WOULD START AT $3800 Agreement ----
Op Code Desc: 08L-ELEINT SSC No. ----
08L-ELEINT ~|~ ~|~NO CAUSE SPECIFIED IN RO Agreement ----

Quick Reply: Looking to buy a 2013 GS350 F Sport