Seriously thinking about a GS again

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-16, 01:59 PM
php
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Seriously thinking about a GS again

Hi guys,

I posted on this forum almost about a year ago asking about getting into a GS. After various reasons it has been put on hold, but lately I've been seriously considering it again, especially (hopefully) the prices have dropped a bit too.

A quick recap: I currently have a 2009 Porsche 911 that I will be trading in if I decide to pull the trigger. I don't drive it as much, mainly on weekends and less than 100 miles per week. I love the car, and even if I do sell, I plan on getting another one a few years in the future. However, in the meantime I figured since I don't use it much why the monthly payments and depreciation, and therefore the GS comes to mind - it's the best sedan I can think of, and I always love the Lexus reliability and smoothness. As I say to all my friends: In my garage I will have one sports car (911s treated me well), but every other car will be Japanese, most likely Toyota/Lexus.

I'm eyeing mostly on the 2013 GS due to the amount I want to pay. I'm looking at Luxury package and F sport. I've done enough research and know the difference between the two, but wanted to get your thoughts on which one you prefer based on day to day use. I definitely like the F sport exterior, but the Luxury package gadgets are attractive. I just don't know how often will I be using them (mainly the rear center console). I do prefer the wood interior trim, but to me that is not a deal breaker for the F sport. I want the ML sound system, but not many pre-owned come with them. How does the base sound system sound? Would you be quite satisfied with base?

Next, what do you guys think about CPO vs non CPO? I know it's probably still too early to tell, but are these still just as reliable as the older lexus from the late 90s to early 2000s? Do you think it's worth paying more to seek out a CPO car? For Porsche that was a must for me (although I've had zero issues), but I'm not sure about Lexus. Mileage wise I'm flexible, would not mind or even prefer to get something with slightly higher mileage for a lower price if reliability proves solid. I will definitely do PPI no matter which way I go. Any chance I can find a solid 2013 F Sport or Luxury around $30k right now?

Anything else I should pay attention to when looking at these cars? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 04-26-16, 09:43 PM
CottageChz
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 61 Posts

I have 2013 luxury, bought for around $34k with around 37k miles at private dealer a year ago, so you can definitely find 2013 luxury for $30k or less, assuming you don't want CPO. Even if you do want CPO, I bet you could get it for around $30k at this point. Haven't looked at listings, just guessing, but it's an educated guess.

I would say go Luxury instead of F-sport if you are getting AWD. If you are getting RWD F-sport may be more worth it. I am partial to the wood trim, and don't care that much about the F-sport bumper/grille/wheels. I would get the F-Sport bumper/grille/wheels if it was available on luxury, but it's not, and it's not at all a deal-breaker for me personally.
Old 04-26-16, 10:34 PM
Deven
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do not give up the 911, you will regret it. The new ones are going to be 4 cyclinder turbo's and probably based on their tract record, they will get rid of the stick. The cars are faster and better in every way on paper, but they have lost their soul that was so unique to 911's. I think the 997's will be the last great version of the 911's. I so want a turbo, but will never buy one if they do not put a stick back in it. Thus I keep my 2006 S Cab, and it brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. Nothing compares. Have over 75 000 miles and it has been even more reliable than my Lexus (or Lexi).

I just bought a 2015 GS, happens to be a F sport hybrid. The suspension is surprisingly very stiff. I was initially looking at 2013's (not hybrid) and you can get them for under 30K (private), reasonably low miles, but with premium package not luxury or F-sport. Probably add 3-4K for either of those options. The technology is great, the car is Lexus through and through, but even though my 911 is 10 years old, I will pick it over the GS almost any day. Now my wife might not agree but that is another story.....
Old 04-27-16, 04:28 AM
jjscsix
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Deven
Do not give up the 911, you will regret it. The new ones are going to be 4 cyclinder turbo's and probably based on their tract record, they will get rid of the stick. The cars are faster and better in every way on paper, but they have lost their soul that was so unique to 911's. I think the 997's will be the last great version of the 911's. I so want a turbo, but will never buy one if they do not put a stick back in it. Thus I keep my 2006 S Cab, and it brings a smile to my face every time I drive it. Nothing compares. Have over 75 000 miles and it has been even more reliable than my Lexus (or Lexi).

I just bought a 2015 GS, happens to be a F sport hybrid. The suspension is surprisingly very stiff. I was initially looking at 2013's (not hybrid) and you can get them for under 30K (private), reasonably low miles, but with premium package not luxury or F-sport. Probably add 3-4K for either of those options. The technology is great, the car is Lexus through and through, but even though my 911 is 10 years old, I will pick it over the GS almost any day. Now my wife might not agree but that is another story.....
The new one is a six cylinder turbo and is getting great write ups.
Old 04-27-16, 07:49 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Most dealerships will put a typical $5k mark up on their pricing. I've seen 2013's with around 30k miles (still under warranty) for the low $30k's, if you're willing to haggle hard enough, the price OTD could be in the high $20k's or sub $30k's. Which is about the price of the new Honda Civic sedan (fully loaded).
Old 04-27-16, 11:08 AM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
Most dealerships will put a typical $5k mark up on their pricing. I've seen 2013's with around 30k miles (still under warranty) for the low $30k's, if you're willing to haggle hard enough, the price OTD could be in the high $20k's or sub $30k's. Which is about the price of the new Honda Civic sedan (fully loaded).
5k? Even for CPO?
Old 04-27-16, 11:38 AM
islandbeef
Racer

Received 62 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by grayson73
5k? Even for CPO?
CPO? No, I'm talking 2013's.
Old 04-27-16, 01:36 PM
LexusBC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can get 2013's as a CPO as well.
Old 04-27-16, 02:15 PM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I leased a 2014 GS 350 F Sport and the ride was not harsh at all. I pretty much got the car fully loaded including ML audio which sounded great. I loved that big wide navigation screen which just jumps out at you. For me, the F sport has a way better look than the non F sport. The exterior looks a lot more aggressive with the bigger and nicer rims, you get the black headliner, sport steering wheel, sport tuned suspension. I also like the fact that you can choose which "mode" you want to be in like Eco, sport, normal, sport+

Good luck on your search and I hope you find the one you want!
Old 04-27-16, 03:03 PM
Deven
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jjscsix
The new one is a six cylinder turbo and is getting great write ups.
Ya, you are right, I was thinking about the Cayman which is going to get a 2.0 liter turbo, but it seems that the 991 will be getting a 2.7/3.4 liter turbo. Faster and more horsepower.

Again like I said before, every iteration of the 911 has been getting better and better 'reviews' but ask any enthusiast that have owned these cars over generations and they will all agree that the 911 is becoming more of a car that drives the driver than the driver driving the car. It's less of a sports car now, and more of a GT car. It is the same reason why everyone (enthusiasts, not race car drivers) wants a stick in the GT3 and Turbo even though the PDK is a far better transmission than the manual. It's the same reason why most purists prefer the GT3 over the Turbo, even though the Turbo is the better car in every way. Similarly it is the reason why all the purists are all over the GT4 as that may be the last of the naturally aspirated manual transmission cars.

Anyways, sorry for going on a tangent, but I love Porsche, but really unhappy with the direction they are going with the new cars.

Last edited by Deven; 04-27-16 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-27-16, 06:34 PM
grayson73
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by islandbeef
CPO? No, I'm talking 2013's.
Is it normal for dealers to markup non-CPOs $5k?

For CPOs, I thought the markup was a lot less, like $3000.
Old 04-28-16, 01:35 PM
php
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Deven
Ya, you are right, I was thinking about the Cayman which is going to get a 2.0 liter turbo, but it seems that the 991 will be getting a 2.7/3.4 liter turbo. Faster and more horsepower.

Again like I said before, every iteration of the 911 has been getting better and better 'reviews' but ask any enthusiast that have owned these cars over generations and they will all agree that the 911 is becoming more of a car that drives the driver than the driver driving the car. It's less of a sports car now, and more of a GT car. It is the same reason why everyone (enthusiasts, not race car drivers) wants a stick in the GT3 and Turbo even though the PDK is a far better transmission than the manual. It's the same reason why most purists prefer the GT3 over the Turbo, even though the Turbo is the better car in every way. Similarly it is the reason why all the purists are all over the GT4 as that may be the last of the naturally aspirated manual transmission cars.

Anyways, sorry for going on a tangent, but I love Porsche, but really unhappy with the direction they are going with the new cars.

I'm with you on this one, even when I said in my original post that if I sell I will buy another one a few years down the road, it most likely will be another 997.2, hopefully I can find a GTS.

Going back to the lexus topic, still searching and researching. I'm leaning more towards F sport now as the exterior is nice and I'm not sure how many times I will get to use the rear center console in Luxury. The aluminum trim although not my favorite probably doesn't both me that much. Both have adjustable suspension.
Old 04-28-16, 05:03 PM
rld14
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by grayson73
Is it normal for dealers to markup non-CPOs $5k?

For CPOs, I thought the markup was a lot less, like $3000.
My average margin on a CPO GS is in the low 2000s.

CPO costs $1,395 (Unless <20 months into the warranty and <30k miles then $995) and my typical shop bill on one is $2K+, only ISs are bigger money pits to CPO. Then you've got scuffed bumpers to fix, dings to remove, detail it, fix that curbed wheel...etc...

My usual spread between what I pay and what they retail for is $5-6K usually. Depends on the car and what it needs.

If you're buying one, ask for a copy of the CPO checklist.
Old 04-29-16, 10:41 AM
AJLex19
Lead Lap

Received 1,134 Likes on 841 Posts

For daily use, the Lux version of the 2013 GS will be a more compliant ride. Def. drive both Lux and F-Sport trims before purchasing so you can feel the difference yourself.

If I were in the market today like yourself, I'd def. go for a Lux pkg equipped GS like these (both have Mark Levinson Sound):
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...3560/overview/
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...8775/overview/

I've recommended this before: You can get the basic looks of the f-sport by getting a Lux, changing out the front grilles, adding a spoiler and wheels.