GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Well needed paint correction and CQuartz application...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 11:08 AM
ricam78
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Well needed paint correction and CQuartz application...

More pics to come but what a difference! This was only a month or so after a supposed paint correction at the dealer when I bought the car. The swirls/ghosting was insane so they supposedly paid to have it done again by a pro....as you can see night and day. Huge thanks to Dynamic Autoworks in Houston for this and also the XPEL cover

In process...

Before (fuel door)

After (fuel door)

My first view as I arrived

Back to work and so happy!
Old 04-22-16, 11:28 AM
zerocypher
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice detailing! Detailing makes a world of difference. That was one of the first things I had done after buying my CPO. It also helped that my friend does detailing as a side-gig.
Old 04-22-16, 01:26 PM
2Squared
Lead Lap

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Looks much better..;-) Dynamic Autoworks is up by Willowbrook mall right?

Seeing you've gone the black out route have you considered going with the black pearl logos?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-16-LEXU...FSxej6&vxp=mtr
Old 04-22-16, 01:58 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 2Squared
Looks much better..;-) Dynamic Autoworks is up by Willowbrook mall right?

Seeing you've gone the black out route have you considered going with the black pearl logos?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2013-16-LEXU...FSxej6&vxp=mtr
Yes sir. 1960 and Hollister. Tim over there is a good guy. I do like the black pearls but can't justify the price yet. The front logo I a. Content with since I have the LAMIN-X on the to darken. The rears I would like to match my fsport badge color. I may just see what a little gunmetal dip and glossifier does for them.
Old 04-22-16, 02:30 PM
popping
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Cquartz finest or another ppc is a must for our ob cars! Looks great
Old 04-22-16, 02:44 PM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow that turned out looking really good!! Its a very satisfying feeling to take a car thats covered in scratches and turn around and make it look just as good if not better than the day it rolled off the showroom floor.
Old 04-22-16, 03:13 PM
GS35014
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ricam78
More pics to come but what a difference! This was only a month or so after a supposed paint correction at the dealer when I bought the car. The swirls/ghosting was insane so they supposedly paid to have it done again by a pro....as you can see night and day. Huge thanks to Dynamic Autoworks in Houston for this and also the XPEL cover

In process...

Before (fuel door)

After (fuel door)

My first view as I arrived

Back to work and so happy!
Trust me on your next wash you will see the swirls again... It's not gone.. Just detailed to make it look gone.. Black is the hardest car to keep nice..
Old 04-22-16, 04:13 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GS35014
Trust me on your next wash you will see the swirls again... It's not gone.. Just detailed to make it look gone.. Black is the hardest car to keep nice..
Not sure but I'll let you know. I have seen some black cquartz'd or opticoated cars keep their perfect finish for a year or more, so I have faith. That's what sold me on it.
Old 04-22-16, 05:54 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

There’s nothing sexier than a shiny, clean black car. Nothing!
There is nothing LESS sexy than a dusty, or dirty, or scratched black car. Nothing!

When you’re looking for a new car, the black one will seduce you. You’ll look at that model in another color, think about being practical, but the black one will wink at you. Tip its chin. Purr, “Hey baby… I want you inside me.” Walk away NOW, or you’ll take it for a test drive. When you get into a black car for the first time, you’ll feel dangerously sexier than you ever felt in your whole life. Your inner panther will roar. You’ll tingle in places you forgot you had. You’ll like it. And, chances are - you’ll buy it. The other cars just won’t make you tingle like that. Your only protection is to never get behind the wheel of a black car in the first place. Just walk away, and life will be uncomplicated. But, you’ll always wonder…what if.

A thin film of dust becomes luminescent on a black car. Every single spot of anything, even dried sterile water, stands out like a goober zit on prom night. At first, it will disturb and upset you so much that you’ll wash your car immediately. And…then it’ll be dusty again before you even finish drying it. An unknown little fact: Black cars only stay clean for only 42 seconds. But, they are the sexiest 42 seconds you’ll ever know. Because of that 42 second rush, you’ll wash your black baby faithfully every weekend. For the first year anyway. And then, all those scratches and swirls you put in the paint taking care of your baby will erode your resolve. You’ll start skipping. People will stare at your car in disgust, and make all sorts of judgments about your sloppiness. You'll scream things at them like; 'Shut up - I just washed this damn car 15 minutes ago.' Of course, you could always buy the black car and make it a garage queen...and never drive it. That's really smart! But hey, it will still get dusty...and all scratched up by you carefully hand washing it.

If you’ve never owned a black car - you may want to admire them from afar, with someone else dealing with all that goes with owning a black car. But...maybe you're the kind of guy that is 'up for the job'. Because maybe you have loads of time and energy to deal with it. If so, you either don't have a job, or a wife, or a girlfriend (or both!), or children...or a even a life!

A scratch on a black car means only one thing - extreme sadness. Be prepared, because you will have zillions of tiny scratches all over your black beauty. You know what color the car is underneath that glossy black? White. You know what scratches black cars? Car washes. Yes, you must always wash it by hand, or that slick black paint will be gouged with zillions of little white arcs where the car wash spinners hit it. Oh, but guess what? If you even touch your paint when you hand wash it - you too will also be putting zillions of scratches in the paint. It simply cannot be helped. A scratched-up black car is not sexy. Don’t let your black car go like that. Don’t let it get all scratched up because you’re too lazy to wash it by hand either. Or, because it's too cold. Or, you don't have time. Nothing is worse looking than a black car with white swirl rainbows in the black paint that is supposed to be like a fine mirror finish. Be prepared to buy thousands of dollars worth of products and tools to keep it decent looking. Are you ready to wash/clean, strip, clay, polish and wax/coat on a regular basis? All to see it looking less than sexy again as soon as you drive it around the block.

You will park under a tree where birds are known to perch only once. It will only take you one time to park under the trees in a parking lot notorious for attracting flocks of pooping birds to learn this lesson the hard way. If the bird poop remains for more than an hour on that soft black finish the paint becomes acid etched for sure, which will add nicely to all those swirls and scratches.

Black cars aren’t just hot, they are HOT. Getting into a black car on an average summer day is like getting inside a Weber barbecue with the coals at a perfect red glow. If you like to wear shorts, get used to the smell of bacon frying. It takes longer for the A/C to put out the fire.

Other than that - enjoy your black car!
Old 04-22-16, 06:16 PM
trbosmitty
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Well said BCLEXUS!! I've owned black vehicle once in my life and experienced everything you mentioned to the "T"! Key word is "owned."

Last edited by trbosmitty; 04-22-16 at 06:44 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 06:38 PM
bclexus
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,994 Likes on 1,417 Posts

Originally Posted by trbosmitty
Well said BCLEXUS!! I've owned black vehicle in my life and experienced everything you mentioned to the "T"! Key word is "owned."
Owned - as in past tense...historical - past history...
Old 04-22-16, 08:21 PM
ricam78
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bclexus
There’s nothing sexier than a shiny, clean black car. Nothing!
There is nothing LESS sexy than a dusty, or dirty, or scratched black car. Nothing!
Other than that - enjoy your black car!
You nailed it. I have never owned one and since I am so **** about keeping a car clean and in mint shape it may be the end of me. Hoping the cquartz helps. If not I will go back to a silver or graphite on my next vehicle.
Old 04-23-16, 06:16 AM
1111GS

Received 90 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by GS35014
Not always true. Some detailers and dealers will mask the problems. So yes, after a few washes, one will see the swirls again. True professional detailers, on the other hand, will remove the swirls in the cost of paint. If they're not familiar with your paint or know how to measure the thickness, they may end up exposing the underneath. If done right, one will not see the old swirls again. If one does not wash the car as recommended, s/he will create new swirls after washes. So learning to maintain this beauty is the key and very time energy consuming. It happens to all paints but for OB it is a lot more noticeable.

Originally Posted by ricam78
.. I have never owned one and since I am so **** about keeping a car clean and in mint shape it may be the end of me. Hoping the cquartz helps. If not I will go back to a silver or graphite on my next vehicle.
I had paint correction done with a coating on my OB GS as well. It certainly made a day and night change as you experienced. It will help keep the car clean longer but the car will still get dusty a lot faster than other colors. My wife's car is SP. I washed both on same day to see how fast one would get dusty again. SP can go past a week with still OK to good looking if no rain. OB... you'll know. Some use duster to keep car clean longer. Now if I had all the energy and time to enjoy, I would still stick to OB. It's just different, very different when cleaned and properly cared.
Old 04-23-16, 03:43 PM
jtrue28
Lead Lap

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

If they're truly correcting the paint, then washing it the next time won't "reveal" anything. Waxing is not correcting.
Old 04-24-16, 10:32 AM
Sevn86
Pole Position

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks great! My black RX needs paint correction bad. I know I won't ever purchase a black car again that's for sure. Never had one before and bought it thinking it can't be that hard to keep pristine, boy was I wrong.

Quick Reply: Well needed paint correction and CQuartz application...