GS - 4th Gen (2013-2020) Discussion about the 2013 and up GS models

Start/Stop and MID question

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-16, 11:02 PM
121traffic
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Start/Stop and MID question

Hello all, 2015 F-Sport AWD here. Love the car but keep seeing a couple of features referred to but don't know if my car is actually equipped with them. Sorry if these are dumb questions or were answered already!

1. A bunch of spots on the Internet refer to an engine start/stop feature for fuel economy. I've never felt any hesitation from a stop or anything sounding like the engine starting. Is this only a non-North America feature, or do I actually have this and it's so slick I don't even notice it??

2. MID info sharing with the head unit. I have been slightly disappointed with the seeming inability for the MID display in the dash to share info with the NAV headunit, i.e. nav direction prompts or song names. Then I found what appears to be a Lexus product sheet for the 2015 GS 350 that seems to say this feature is new and included with the 2015 model. From the sheet:
" MID data sharing; content from headunit displayed in MID (e.g. song information, NAV direction, call info.)  Voice Recognition  One-shot address entry  Steering wheel control of onboard/offboard voice recognition"

But I can't seem to find any reference to this in the MID section in the manual?? You would make my MONTH if you told me how to enable this??

3. I keep reading that the 12.3in screen is splittable into 3 sections, i.e. Nav/climate/radio, but I have only found how to split it into two screens, i.e. the larger main screen and the small side screen?

Thanks for any help!
Old 04-19-16, 05:53 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The auto press has frequently been confused. Toyota/Lexus use the term "Smart Stop" to refer to the software that cuts out the throttle if the throttle and brake pedals are pushed at the same time, as a result of the unintended acceleration issue a few years back. It seems many reviewers get confused, thinking Smart Stop is the same thing as a Start/Stop system that turns off the engine while stopped. The GS350 does not have a Start/Stop system.
Old 04-19-16, 11:20 AM
121traffic
Driver School Candidate

Thanks that explains the Smart Stop tech. I figured that might be it!

Anyone have any info on the other two issues?
Old 04-19-16, 03:03 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 121traffic
3. I keep reading that the 12.3in screen is splittable into 3 sections, i.e. Nav/climate/radio, but I have only found how to split it into two screens, i.e. the larger main screen and the small side screen?

Thanks for any help!
This might be referring splitting the Nav portion in two pieces, one side map, other side upcoming turns. Therefore you'd have, from left to right, map, list of upcoming directions, and climate/radio/trip info.
Old 04-19-16, 03:17 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

The three way split screen function (HOME screen) is only available on the non-navigation, 8" display.

It's covered on page 16 of the navigation/display manual:

http://drivers.lexus.com/t3Portal/do...f/OM30E39U.pdf
Old 04-19-16, 03:24 PM
121traffic
Driver School Candidate

That's what I figured in regards to the map, NAV info, and the sidescreen. I saw the 8" capability, but everyone still trots out the 12.3" ability to do the same thing. Just confusing from a consumer standpoint, since pretty much everyone parrots this same general verbiage. "A few changes are apparent for this class-laden 4-door in the upcoming model year, the most apparent being a hefty upgrade to the available Enform infotainment system, whereby the optional 12.3-inch screen can be split to display up to 3 different functions, including GPS navigation info, audio settings, climate control settings, and so on."

Thanks so much all! That's two down...can anyone confirm or deny the ability to put headunit info on the dash MID?? I'm assuming that's what they are referring to as the MID since that's what the manual refers to?
Old 04-19-16, 06:43 PM
djkidd
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 121traffic
That's what I figured in regards to the map, NAV info, and the sidescreen. I saw the 8" capability, but everyone still trots out the 12.3" ability to do the same thing. Just confusing from a consumer standpoint, since pretty much everyone parrots this same general verbiage. "A few changes are apparent for this class-laden 4-door in the upcoming model year, the most apparent being a hefty upgrade to the available Enform infotainment system, whereby the optional 12.3-inch screen can be split to display up to 3 different functions, including GPS navigation info, audio settings, climate control settings, and so on."

Thanks so much all! That's two down...can anyone confirm or deny the ability to put headunit info on the dash MID?? I'm assuming that's what they are referring to as the MID since that's what the manual refers to?
By MID, are you referring to the screen between the speedometer and the tachometer? The one that normally shows mpg info or tire pressure info, etc.
Old 04-19-16, 10:08 PM
121traffic
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by djkidd
By MID, are you referring to the screen between the speedometer and the tachometer? The one that normally shows mpg info or tire pressure info, etc.
Yep that would be it. Manual calls it the Multi Information Display.
Old 04-20-16, 08:44 PM
121traffic
Driver School Candidate

I thought maybe the product sheet I saw the MID/Headunit Data sharing feature was for the 2016 rather than the 2015, but the specs are indeed for the 2015. 306hp vs 311hp etc. Oh well...guess maybe they jumped the gun.